Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

53 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Instead of wasting money last year on Johnson, Blackman, Weimann, Blackman and all clearly the man to buy was Andre Gray. Burnley got it right and got promoted and Derby got it wrong. Ship out Baird, Pearce, Shotton, Bent, Johnson, Weiman , Camara, and Blackman and start again.

Wonderful thing is hindsight!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hi, Bristol City fan here.  Re Kodjia, he's just coming to the end of the first year of a three year contract.  City have an option of a fourth year too.  The other big thing to consider is that SC Angers (his and Camara's former club) have a 40% profit sell-on clause from the €3m (£2m approx) we paid them.

So, just assuming we sold for £6m, we'd only get £4.4m....doesn't sound likely.  Not that I have any idea as to what the City board would take for him, but I would think you have got to be looking north of £10m.  Is he worth it?  No idea, it's a supply and demand thing, and goal scorers are always in demand, but give you no guarantees.  Take Blackman.  You got him on the cheap because he was coming to the end of his contract, but his goals at Reading early doors were a bit out of kilter with the rest of his career.

Re Kodjis, the player, I think he is great, but he was the object of the City boo-boys during the middle third of the season.  He is very quick, has skill to beat a man, and create his own chances.  He also has good awareness for players in better positions, but can be greedy too.  Predominantly right footed, all of his goals came from his right peg or a couple of headers, with the exception being the one against you at our place....bit of a left foot swinger!  In his early days with us he did benefit from playing off a big man, who took the physical brunt off of him.  In the last third of the season (once he'd adapted) he benefitted massively from clever players who were in sync with his runs (Tomlin and Reid - who scored against you at our place).

He will definitely get you off your seats, and has become a cult hero here at Ashton Gate.

Personally I don't think we'd let him go to a Championship side (yes, you are much bigger than us), I still think we are a season away from being able to compete towards play off places), but I think we could resist.  I don't think we'd stand in the way of a Prem team, assuming price is right.

Hope this helps you understand what kind of player you're after (allegedly).  Nahki Wells would be a good alternative, not as skilful, but a bit smarter in the penalty area.

Good luck over the summer window.

I'd take Alex Pearce off of your hands, we need an experienced centre back, but not as a sweetener for Kodjia!!!

if he's used to booing - he'll be alright here!! lol

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

Instead of wasting money last year on Johnson, Blackman, Weimann, Blackman and all clearly the man to buy was Andre Gray. Burnley got it right and got promoted and Derby got it wrong. Ship out Baird, Pearce, Shotton, Bent, Johnson, Weiman , Camara, and Blackman and start again.

Just to let you know that running a football club in the real world is not the same as running it on a gaming console...

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

Just to let you know that running a football club in the real world is not the same as running it on a gaming console...

Where's ORLY Owl when I need him?

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

There's the problem. We sign the wrong players for the system, and some of them twice! I blame Wassall personally :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Agree with some but not Weimann and Camara. Weimann showed against Brighton and Hull that he is actually a good player.

I agree about gray however those that have been made scapegoats haven't really been given a chance in there proffered positions. Nor when we've played attacking football which they would all thrive on, like Weiman in the second leg.

weimann Camara and Johnson are all good players and I like Blackman. He has a good touch and can hold it up well but not seen him go past any player yet which you need the wingers to do when played there. Maybe played with weimann through the middle would see him in a better light.

23 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I don't know who this guy is! 20 in 48 is good for Bristol. I would think he would get more goal scoring opportunities here. Is he better then what we have? (Martin/Bent)

You should watch the Championship, it's not a bad league.

I'm just being honest I seriously haven't watched much of Bristol city. They are one of the teams in our league that for whatever reason I haven't learned much about.

I'm extremely confident on my football knowledge and most other teams but its better to be honest then make an opinion when in truth I have not noticed the guy play or notch up goals week in and week out.

What I was getting at is if he is that good why does no one talk about him. We all know mcormack gray murphy etc.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

I'm just being honest I seriously haven't watched much of Bristol city. They are one of the teams in our league that for whatever reason I haven't learned much about.

I'm extremely confident on my football knowledge and most other teams but its better to be honest then make an opinion when in truth I have not noticed the guy play or notch up goals week in and week out.

What I was getting at is if he is that good why does no one talk about him. We all know mcormack gray murphy etc.

He's been over here for a season and isn't likely to move, hence the lack of press he'll get this summer.

He'd get 20+ in your side. He scored 20 this season in a side that went through a phase of scoring 3 goals from open play in 21 games.

19 minutes ago, sheepshagger123 said:

y does every 1 want johnson gone hes class. first half of season he was are best player. he had a dip in form get over it. 

weimann and camara are good both offer something to us. the rest can go

What, all of them? Surely we need more than 3 players?

3 hours ago, Simsy said:

That's the thing, he scored against us this season. He's been talked about a lot over possible big moves too. Players you mentioned only garner attention because of the mental fees touted around. Murphy is a donkey.

6 hours ago, sheepshagger123 said:

y does every 1 want johnson gone hes class. first half of season he was are best player. he had a dip in form get over it. 

Our best player? I fink he cud do beta n justify his big fee n all da £ he is earnin

6 hours ago, sheepshagger123 said:

Johnsons place would surely be at risk if we sign goal machine John akinde and get Rashford on loan eh?

cant wait for Rashford to join to be honest. Hope he gets through the euros injury free so he is fit for pre season.

Archived