Rams Euro Quartet Superthread

Carl Sagan

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

So if a PL team came in with an offer of £10 million for Hendrick you'd really turn it down, he's talented for sure but definitely not worth that kind of money... I'd cash in while his value might be inflated after a few good performances on the international stage

Boot on other foot, would you turn down same offer for Bryson. I would take £10m no problem for Hendrick, still think he's a much better player than Craig...... Agree more saleable asset, but would be extremely disappointed to see him go 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mafiabob said:

Boot on other foot, would you turn down same offer for Bryson. I would take £10m no problem for Hendrick, still think he's a much better player than Craig...... Agree more saleable asset, but would be extremely disappointed to see him go 

Of course I would, we'd be lucky to see £3 million for Bryson, I'd snap your hand off for £10 million...

52 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hendrick often turned it on for Ireland in the qualifying games but then came back to Derby and with the exception of no more than a couple of matches, failed to reproduce anywhere near the same level of performance.

Could it be, given Martin O'Neill's his national team boss, that he needs firmer management to take him out of his comfort zone and that Pearson might be better suited to bring out the best in him more than McLaren, Clement and Wassall were?

Agree.

At long last we have a manager who can motivate and install confidence which bodes well for Hendrick and the club as a whole.

Didn’t O Neil comment earlier in the season that the Derby players lacked confidence? The word from the ROI camp was that Hendrick was unfit on arrival and they had to do a fair amount of work with him to get the levels up.

He is our best player by miles and to sell him when we are looking for promotion would be idiotic. Hopefully Pearson sees it the same way.

52 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Of course I would, we'd be lucky to see £3 million for Bryson, I'd snap your hand off for £10 million...

You realize we paid £6m for Johnson and £5m for Butterfield and Bryson was ahead of them in Darren Wassell's pecking order?

Well played Jeff.

But let's not get too carried away, as Darryl Powell played well once for Jamaica, Warren Barton for England, Mikkel Beck for Denmark, and Stephen Pearson for Scotland, so there's another Rams Quartet that may or may not put things into perspective or might put you off football all together.

And come Thursday we've all got to look forward to the wonderful Robbie Savage with a microphone to tell us what he thinks football is all about, I bet he knows what every Welsh player is worth or what they are getting in there pay packets!

Hendrick did well, he often plays well in spells but we've not had a proper full season of quality out of him. He has the ability to first name on the team sheet but needs dropping to give him the occasional kick up the arse. I'd like to keep him but if someone offered 10 mill I'd deffo take it. 

I just thought his role changed in the 2nd half, and he did what his manager wanted, dropping deeper and shielding. 

8 full 90 minute appearances on the bounce in competitive internationals is some going for a championship player with the competition he's got in that squad.

16 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thought Hendrick had a good first half, then the game passed him by in the second as Ireland dropped him deeper.

A Hendrick season summed up in one game, almost.

Damn you for getting in before me.

Great first half, unlucky not to score the goal of the tournament so far.

He barely touched the ball second half as he turned into a possession coward again. Not wanting the ball. Hiding. 

Which is why no-one has come in for him before.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

You realize we paid £6m for Johnson and £5m for Butterfield and Bryson was ahead of them in Darren Wassell's pecking order?

Yeah, doesn't mean anything. Inflated prices based on Johnson's immense previous season and Butterfield's age, neither of which Bryson has on his side... Not saying he's a bad player, the exact opposite,but the value of a player is based upon more than mere game-time...

22 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yeah, doesn't mean anything. Inflated prices based on Johnson's immense previous season and Butterfield's age, neither of which Bryson has on his side... Not saying he's a bad player, the exact opposite,but the value of a player is based upon more than mere game-time...

Johnson and Bryson are the same age (29) and Bradley's "immense previous season" in terms of goals from midfield only matched Bryson's immense season the year before. Butterfield is a massive three years younger. I acknowledge we overpaid because other clubs knew we wanted to splash the cash, but having money means we're also not under pressure to sell so should no longer accept low valuations of our own players. There's so much more money in the game meaning prices have sky-rocketed, but a lot of Derby fans don't seem to realize.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Johnson and Bryson are the same age (29) and Bradley's "immense previous season" in terms of goals from midfield only matched Bryson's immense season the year before. Butterfield is a massive three years younger. I acknowledge we overpaid because other clubs knew we wanted to splash the cash, but having money means we're also not under pressure to sell so should no longer accept low valuations of our own players. There's so much more money in the game meaning prices have sky-rocketed, but a lot of Derby fans don't seem to realize.

Bryson of 13/14 would merit a much higher price than he would now, he was in insane form that season that he certainly hasn't matched since. That being said, a player's value and their selling price are often very far apart, dictated by factors such as form and whether the club needs/wants to sell. Bryson's form has dipped since and therefore so has his market value...

If we are to play 442, we have too many midfielders, therefore it makes sense to sell one, all are high quality and therefore all will fetch reasonable prices. For me, all are also good enough to play an integral part in a promotion-winning side. Therefore, selling Hendrick for £10 million and keeping Bryson (hypothetically), makes more sense than selling Bryson for £4-5 million and keeping Hendrick?

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thought Hendrick had a good first half, then the game passed him by in the second as Ireland dropped him deeper.

He had 50% of the total shots on target of the entire match in the second half.

52 minutes ago, sage said:

Damn you for getting in before me.

Great first half, unlucky not to score the goal of the tournament so far.

He barely touched the ball second half as he turned into a possession coward again. Not wanting the ball. Hiding. 

Which is why no-one has come in for him before.

He had 50% of the entire total of shots on target in the entire match by everybody as his personal second-half tally. Still, let's not let facts get in the way of a made-up mind, eh?

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

We wouldn't get 1 million for Bryson. 

That's a bit far, we'd get between £2.5-4 million depending on who was buying him. This is a central midfielder that scored 16 goals in a single season bear in mind and regarded as one of the best in the division on his day

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

After Ireland scored the whole team became more negative, and seemed to want to avoid having possession at all costs, so  it's unfair to single Jeff out on that.  It happens nearly every time ROI take the lead in a match.  He had an excellent game overall.  Made a wonderful tackle on Zlatan in the first half, great to see.  Hendrick has talent, it's getting him to produce it regularly is the problem.

Archived