Rams Euro Quartet Superthread

Carl Sagan

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play to his strengths and he's proved how much quality he has. Looked every bit the international player. Needs to stop getting messed around tactically at Derby. Every game he plays for us he's got a different job to do.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

...when he tries... which he rarely does  :lol:

He does though, people have this perception of him lazy here..... He ain't, he's a fantastic footballer whose probably the biggest risk taker at this club by some distance. 

Takes risks and tries to create chances consistently, may not work all time and that's what our lot see..... But sometimes high risk presents high rewards. Unlucky not score at least twice today because of this.

Will be upset if he leaves, top player and him and Hughes would be my first names in midfield on our team sheet every week. And still young and WILL improve further. 

6 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

They're praising him on BBC, saying he was the only player to consistantly find space. Gonna be cracking pre-season to see which midfielder inevitably gets shipped out.

Based in that performance, I'd let Bryson go and give Henrick a fair crack at that "CM next to Hughes" role. 

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

There were only 4 shots on target in the game - and Jeff had 3 of those together with the one that smacked against the bar. I thought he was outstanding, and dd an awful lot of hard work too.

I'd wager at this moment Hendrick has probably had more shots on goal than anyone else in the tournament.

We can be well proud of his display tonight and Shearer added a bit more to his stock as an attacking midfielder.

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Based in that performance, I'd let Bryson go and give Henrick a fair crack at that "CM next to Hughes" role. 

Based on any performance ever I would let Bryson go but I'm not sure there will be a "CM next to Hughes" role at DCFC next season..

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Based on any performance ever I would let Bryson go but I'm not sure there will be a "CM next to Hughes" role at DCFC next season..

Agree with what you say there..... Purely on future, and other attributes too

57 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Hendrick playing well :) be nice to see Keogh get a game in the tourny though 

Reckon you will get that wish looking at a few tired legs. Can't see O'Shea and Clark lasting 2 more 90 minutes without respite. Keogh to partner O'Shea one match.

24 minutes ago, eddie said:

There were only 4 shots on target in the game - and Jeff had 3 of those together with the one that smacked against the bar. I thought he was outstanding, and dd an awful lot of hard work too.

Shearer said Hendrick was excellent. He is not assured of a starting place for Derby. He may jump at a better contract somewhere else.Pearson will have seen it and have been impressed for sure.

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

He does though, people have this perception of him lazy here..... He ain't, he's a fantastic footballer whose probably the biggest risk taker at this club by some distance. 

Takes risks and tries to create chances consistently, may not work all time and that's what our lot see..... But sometimes high risk presents high rewards. Unlucky not score at least twice today because of this.

Will be upset if he leaves, top player and him and Hughes would be my first names in midfield on our team sheet every week. And still young and WILL improve further. 

He is lazy. You're right he does take risk which invevitably leads to him losing the ball, what's frustrating is he then often doesn't make the effort to track back and challenge for the ball.

Compare him with Bryson and you see that actually he doesn't often offer as much for the team, in terms of effort as he could, especially off the ball...

17 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He is lazy. You're right he does take risk which invevitably leads to him losing the ball, what's frustrating is he then often doesn't make the effort to track back and challenge for the ball.

Compare him with Bryson and you see that actually he doesn't often offer as much for the team, in terms of effort as he could, especially off the ball...

Completely disagree, and as for comparison, he's a far superior player to Bryson, work rate wise agree Bryson better, but his better years are behind in my opinion, whilst Hendrick best are ahead of him. Out of the two it's a no brainier for me, hendo over Bryson anyday.

Also I think, if we're going to get rid of one midfielder..... I think Pearson is the one to pull it off and do the unthinkable in some fans eyes, and sell a fan favourite. 

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Completely disagree, and as for comparison, he's a far superior player to Bryson, work rate wise agree Bryson better, but his better years are behind in my opinion, whilst Hendrick best are ahead of him. Out of the two it's a no brainier for me, hendo over Bryson anyday.

Also I think, if we're going to get rid of one midfielder..... I think Pearson is the one to pull it off and do the unthinkable in some fans eyes, and sell a fan favourite

is that referring to Bryson as well? I arguably agree as well because I still believe Johnson and Butterfield can offer a lot, but that being said we're losing a quality player in Bryson. Hendrick was fit all season yet we only saw a real change in quality in our midfield when Bryson returned from injury, that says massive amounts, his constant running, putting pressure on the opposition was in stark contrast to Hendrick's laid back approach and we saw more positive creative outlets in midfield because of it.

If Hendrick could compete as he did tonight for 70% of games next season, then we have one of the best midfielders in the league on our hands but inconsistency has plagued his career so far and I have a feeling that may continue. A good tournament in France could see a Premier League team come in for him with a greatly improved offer than we would have seen before the tournament. Anything over £5 million and I'd let Hendrick leave, our midfield is strong enough without him to still easily achieve promotion...

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

is that referring to Bryson as well? I arguably agree as well because I still believe Johnson and Butterfield can offer a lot, but that being said we're losing a quality player in Bryson. Hendrick was fit all season yet we only saw a real change in quality in our midfield when Bryson returned from injury, that says massive amounts, his constant running, putting pressure on the opposition was in stark contrast to Hendrick's laid back approach and we saw more positive creative outlets in midfield because of it.

If Hendrick could compete as he did tonight for 70% of games next season, then we have one of the best midfielders in the league on our hands but inconsistency has plagued his career so far and I have a feeling that may continue. A good tournament in France could see a Premier League team come in for him with a greatly improved offer than we would have seen before the tournament. Anything over £5 million and I'd let Hendrick leave, our midfield is strong enough without him to still easily achieve promotion...

Sorry I can't agree for him to leave, got to be Bryson for me if anyone. Just think he's not as great as some make out, really don't think Hendo is inconsistent for reasons I've stated before. 

Just something about Hendrick that catches eye for me. Better player than given credit for, and plenty of time on his side. 

Im not saying Bryson is a bad player.... Not at all, just don't think he's better than some we have now. 

Hendrick is probably the most difficult player to assess. Sometimes he's brilliant, sometimes he's crap. Seen him battle for balls and pull out of challenges. Very frustrating and hard to know what your gonna get for the 90 minutes from him

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Sorry I can't agree for him to leave, got to be Bryson for me if anyone. Just think he's not as great as some make out, really don't think Hendo is inconsistent for reasons I've stated before. 

Just something about Hendrick that catches eye for me. Better player than given credit for, and plenty of time on his side. 

Im not saying Bryson is a bad player.... Not at all, just don't think he's better than some we have now. 

So if a PL team came in with an offer of £10 million for Hendrick you'd really turn it down, he's talented for sure but definitely not worth that kind of money... I'd cash in while his value might be inflated after a few good performances on the international stage

Hendrick often turned it on for Ireland in the qualifying games but then came back to Derby and with the exception of no more than a couple of matches, failed to reproduce anywhere near the same level of performance.

Could it be, given Martin O'Neill's his national team boss, that he needs firmer management to take him out of his comfort zone and that Pearson might be better suited to bring out the best in him more than McLaren, Clement and Wassall were?

Archived