Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hope this doesn't mean the Nixon meltdown is Lansbury coming in as Hendrick replacement. Really nasty player with a lot less ability than he thinks he has.

I would be underwhelmed by Lansbury, but a nasty player in the middle is what we are missing.... again.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Maybe that's what we are missing? A real nasty player. 

There's two types of nasty player. Eustace/Buxton type players who keep their traps shut and hammer trouble makers when the ref isn't looking, then there's Lansbury type nasty which means being a little gobshite who is all mouth and no trousers.

11 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I would be underwhelmed by Lansbury, but a nasty player in the middle is what we are missing.... again.

4 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Maybe that's what we are missing? A real nasty player. 

You might be right but it doesn't mean I have to like it. In all my years watching the Rams (way too many) I've seen some right dross but the player I least liked watching was Martin Kuhl, if memory serves brought in after Lionel basically bought the England U21 team only to find it didn't work. I hope it wasn't true but it looked to me as though Kuhl was going out to deliberately injure the opposition and I get that same impression when I watch Lansbury. Don't want him.

13 hours ago, Ninos said:

Johnson was a bit of a pipe dream a year ago. One thing Mel Morris has proven is that he can get whatever and whoever he wants not just because of money but because he's a shrewd negotiator. And I think he would rather have Assomba than kodjia. 

Johnson wasn't a pipe dream, Norwich didn't want him and were touting him about 

13 hours ago, Ninos said:

Johnson was a bit of a pipe dream a year ago. One thing Mel Morris has proven is that he can get whatever and whoever he wants not just because of money but because he's a shrewd negotiator. And I think he would rather have Assomba than kodjia. 

If paying £6 million for a plyer who doesn't fit in to the team and is barely getting on the bench is shrewd negotiating then Mel's the dumbest shrewd negotiator in town.

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

Wasn't shrewd negotiating either. Shrewd negotiation would've brought him over for half the price.

The whole transfer, from the outside looking in at least, appeared amateurish. We were alerted to his availability the night before we signed him and only signed him because the opportunity arose. The player himself only arrived in Derby at three in the afternoon and the deadline shut at six. 

We were efficient at getting the deal over the line - but did we not negotiate price? Discuss his role in the team? A medical and contract negotiations done and dusted in less than three hours?

1 minute ago, cannable said:

The whole transfer, from the outside looking in at least, appeared amateurish. We were alerted to his availability the night before we signed him and only signed him because the opportunity arose. The player himself only arrived in Derby at three in the afternoon and the deadline shut at six. 

We were efficient at getting the deal over the line - but did we not negotiate price? Discuss his role in the team? A medical and contract negotiations done and dusted in less than three hours?

Precisely. A shrewd negotiator knows what he's getting in a deal and how they're going to use thing they've bought. It's one of the most amateurish things I've ever seen from someone who is supposed to be a master businessman.

From what I'm aware we just asked Norwich their price and paid it. No attempt to negotiate.  It really was amateur hour that day.

Archived