Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Precisely. A shrewd negotiator knows what he's getting in a deal and how they're going to use thing they've bought. It's one of the most amateurish things I've ever seen from someone who is supposed to be a master businessman.

From what I'm aware we just asked Norwich their price and paid it. No attempt to negotiate.  It really was amateur hour that day.

I can guarantee that had it come out the day after that we could have signed Bradley Johnson but we were messing around negotiating a transfer fee and we missed the deadline, you'd have been calling the club amateurish.

The only amateurish thing for me was buying two midfielders when only one was needed. Had you given me a choice between Butterfield and Johnson at the time, i'd have snapped your hand off for Johnson.

27 minutes ago, David said:

You snooze you lose sometimes, not sure why fans get so hung up on transfer fees.

Because like it or not transfer fees do have an affect on what happens at the club. Spend too much on too many average players and you end up stuck in midtable facing a transfer ban for breaking FFP. This makes it difficult to undergo any substantial rebuilding process if needed (bit like what's been decided here), when you get slapped with a transfer ban half way through. Also means you sometimes have to sell your best players/young talent to get out of it and no one likes to see that.

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Because like it or not transfer fees do have an affect on what happens at the club. Spend too much on too many average players and you end up stuck in midtable facing a transfer ban for breaking FFP. This makes it difficult to undergo any substantial rebuilding process if needed (bit like what's been decided here), when you get slapped with a transfer ban half way through. Also means you sometimes have to sell your best players/young talent to get out of it and no one likes to see that.

Have we any idea what our revenue is? how much we are able to spend without being slapped by FFP? 

Very few clubs have been effected by this yet so many fans up and down the country think they can value players better than the people that run football clubs having never bought or sold a footballer in their life.

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I can guarantee that had it come out the day after that we could have signed Bradley Johnson but we were messing around negotiating a transfer fee and we missed the deadline, you'd have been calling the club amateurish.

The only amateurish thing for me was buying two midfielders when only one was needed. Had you given me a choice between Butterfield and Johnson at the time, i'd have snapped your hand off for Johnson.

I don't think I would have, I'm pretty sure I wrote at the time that we didn't need another midfielder and that we were quickly becoming overstocked.

Besides, could've would've should've, that didn't happen and it was amateurish the way it happened. Seriously, I would rather we miss out on targets than overpay like we have with Johnson. Could've brought him in on loan for half a season afterwards if Norwich really didn't want him and we really did.

3 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Just seen a quote that Charlie Adam may be leaving Stoke today, could Lee Grant have been a sweetener to allow us to take him on loan/buy?

Don't like him, niggly,dirty git, but maybe what we need!!

Thoughts?

Charlie Adam = Thug! NO

2 minutes ago, David said:

Have we any idea what our revenue is? how much we are able to spend without being slapped by FFP? 

Very few clubs have been effected by this yet so many fans up and down the country think they can value players better than the people that run football clubs having never bought or sold a footballer in their life.

We must be close given we are flogging Hendrick to fund the Vydra move and Martin has to go before anyone else comes in. Our revenue stream is high, but even before the likes of Johnson, Butterfield and Ince came in on high wages and high fees we were shipping close to £8 million a year. Will definitely be more now and we didn't have much wriggle room left before. Add in the sacking of Clement and his backroom staff. Doesn't sound great.

Not saying I can value players better than experts. But that's the thing isn't it, Mel isn't a football expert and it was his decision to buy Johnson anyway. He said as much at a fan forum last year. An expert probably would've said, '£6 million for player who doesn't fit into a playing style you have and has none of the technical aspects you really want in your team? Are you mad?'

1 hour ago, David said:

Nixon tweets, 2+2=5, those that couldn't add up then accuse Nixon of backtracking :lol: 

Meltdown could easily be selling Martin and replacing him with an absolute duffer

That is my absolute fear,and some of those mentioned make it worse.- I really do think a Martin / Vydra combination would work very well

39 minutes ago, ramsputen said:

what we gonna do. I dont blame these players for going to Villa/Newcastle good money and a chance to go straight back up  but not sure how thete all going to get games it seems like there buying everyone.

They will run out of seats in the dressing room before 11pm tonight hopefully.

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

We must be close given we are flogging Hendrick to fund the Vydra move and Martin has to go before anyone else comes in.

You just posted on Johnson you didn't think we needed more midfielders as we were stacked, thats when we were playing 4-3-3 with 3 midfielders, we're now playing variations of 4-4-2, one less needed than last season, makes sense to see one go. I've seen nothing to suggest it's being done to pay for Vydra.

As for Martin we now have 4 strikers, makes sense to see if Martin leaves before replacing him, we don't need 5 strikers, not when we have Ince that's been playing in the hole and Weimann returning from injury soon. 

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Not saying I can value players better than experts. But that's the thing isn't it, Mel isn't a football expert and it was his decision to buy Johnson anyway. He said as much at a fan forum last year.

Mel's been behind the scenes at Derby for a long time, he hasn't just walked into football a couple seasons ago, I would say he knows a lot more than us.

I've had two wasted days glued to my phone and iPad....and it all started with the Bristol Post saying we had signed Kodjia on Saturday.

Heres to a long, hard season of watching the shower of crap we watched on Friday.

I just hope Vydra is a good forward, can cover our frailties at right back, can cover the loss of Forsyth and cover the loss of Thorne?....Go Vydra! 

Archived