Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

32 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

So is this the little story that didn't make the cut? Would be pleased with Dunk, though Brighton won't sell to anyone. Just trying to think of possibilities from PL/Championship - Liam Moore, Marcin Wasileski, Tommie Hoban, Shane Duffy, Christophe Berra, Jake Cooper - can't think of many other realistic signings that'd add much to the squad/team.

Moore was rubbish for Bristol City and Berra's age has caught up with him.

Would happily take Dunk or Hanley.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'm not too concerened about the CB's we've got - depending who goes. I'd like to see Rawson given a chance. He's been a star in a poor Rotherham side and I bet many of us have never seen him in a Derby shirt.

Nixon saying that the story that didnt make the paper is still a possible deal but unlikely to happen in the next few days...goes on to say its a an attacker (someone to play off a main striker) and would be a buy, also says he thinks someone may have to go first

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Nixon reckons we're after someone to play off the striker, if he's right that more or less confirms a change in formation

1) It's Nixon based speculation based on "Oh Nigel Pearson usually plays xxxx formation"

2) You can play off the striker to the left or right too... Some would suggest wingers in a 4 3 3 play 'off the striker'...

Just now, cheron85 said:

1) It's Nixon based speculation based on "Oh Nigel Pearson usually plays xxxx formation"

2) You can play off the striker to the left or right too... Some would suggest wingers in a 4 3 3 play 'off the striker'...

I know what you mean, but if nixon is right ( a big if). And I wouldn't say our wingers played off the strikers, I've allows had the impression someone playing off the striker is either a pacey striker off the holding man, or an attacking midfielder who pushes up like Bryson

55 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I know what you mean, but if nixon is right ( a big if). And I wouldn't say our wingers played off the strikers, I've allows had the impression someone playing off the striker is either a pacey striker off the holding man, or an attacking midfielder who pushes up like Bryson

I'd say that Russell, Weimann, Blackman, Ince, Bent, Bennett and possibly Camara could easily be described as playing off a striker - how many more do we need? It seems far more likely that we'd be looking for a centre forward for one of them to play off, given that we've only got Chris Martin - who may or may not fit into Pearson's system, but even if he does, he needs back up/competition.

A crazy wash my mouth out suggestion could be Matty Fryatt from the red dogs.

Ive always been a fan of his, he plays off the striker and can score goals in the right team.

I may be wrong but I think he came up from league 1 with Pearson scoring a bag full of goals, although I think Pearson then sold him. 

13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I'd say that Russell, Weimann, Blackman, Ince, Bent, Bennett and possibly Camara could easily be described as playing off a striker - how many more do we need? It seems far more likely that we'd be looking for a centre forward for one of them to play off, given that we've only got Chris Martin - who may or may not fit into Pearson's system, but even if he does, he needs back up/competition.

It's not about having more though, is it? It's about bringing in better players. You're telling me you wouldn't rather have someone like Kodjia in the team over Russell, Bent, Blackman and flipping Mason Bennet!?

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It's not about having more though, is it? It's about bringing in better players. You're telling me you wouldn't rather have someone like Kodjia in the team over Russell, Bent, Blackman and flipping Mason Bennet!?

I wouldn't say that Kodija plays off a striker, so I assumed that Nixon was talking about someone else. 

The reality is though, I'm happy to trust Nigel Pearson's judgement. If he thinks we need another 'second striker', then that's good enough for me. If that's the case though, I think we'll see more than a few tweaks this summer.

29 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A crazy wash my mouth out suggestion could be Matty Fryatt from the red dogs.

Ive always been a fan of his, he plays off the striker and can score goals in the right team.

I may be wrong but I think he came up from league 1 with Pearson scoring a bag full of goals, although I think Pearson then sold him. 

I'd prefer Forestieri, but Fryatt for £1m might be a bit more realistic than Forestieri for £10m.

7 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Moore was rubbish for Bristol City and Berra's age has caught up with him.

Would happily take Dunk or Hanley.

Pretty sure Berra was ranked the top CB in the league last season, very consistent defender.  

Archived