Pick the team for the second leg.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sage said:

I would have picked Butterfield ahead of Johnson. Other than that I would have picked the  same team. 

Butterfield is so frustrating. Good tidy player and pretty to watch, but wants to pick up the ball too deep and play a short one two pass which lets the opposition get into shape defensively. Watched him all season and dont know his best position. 

3 hours ago, sage said:

Change it to what? I would have thought today's team was within 1 or 2 selections of being our best team. 

Dead right. Nothing to do with Wassall's bottle and he's already proved he's got plenty of that with his team selections over the last 16 games

Strategy first of all - quick tempo from the off but no conceding an early goal. If we do the tie is well and truly gone. It doesn't matter if it's 0-0 at half time. In their faces, quick passing, always an available pass, shooting on sight, plenty of movement, solid back 4, try and get an early goal but don't concede. Any change of formation comes early in the second half - three subs at once if necessary

Team? One change - Baird for Johnson in holding role and Hughes moved further forward, otherwise the same as today. Full backs have to work harder to get down the flanks, Bryson has to work harder to get closer to Martin, Hughes has to work harder to get on the ball and have an impact on the game. Everyone has to work harder to close down without the ball and be available when we have it.

Changes if still a draw just after half time? Weimann and Bent for Russell or Ince or Martin; Hendo or Butterfield or Johnson for Baird or Hughes. 4-4-2.

8 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

On what basis is this your selection ? Not being rude but you've obviously opted to make drastic changes to the 11 so why keep Christie in ? Why keep hughes in the holding role ? And have you ever seen anything from Camara that warrants a start ? 

It's a 4-5-1 formation without a holding DMF, Hughes in the advanced MF position, with Camara, Blackman, Weimann in their natural positions. Why Christie? because we have no-one better; and the others 1) because I'd like to see them (for once) playing in their preferred positions in an attacking formation, and 2) Our season's over and yesterday's effort was a pitiful embarrassment. Drastic changes? Yes - I'd like to see drastic changes. Wouldn't you? Or would you like to see again what you saw yesterday?

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson

Hughes Bryson

Russel Bent Martin Ince

The game is basically lost. The only glimmer of hope held by only the most optimistic is if we can get a goal early doors, shock and awe, maximum intensity. Then if we can grab another before or just after half time, we'll have them rocking, and the second half becomes a one-off game we have to win one-nil. I can see them panicking if we get two, just trying to hang on desperately to what they've got. They might even take a striker off to shore up the defence. We've got the whole half then, but it would be set up for a dramatic last minute equaliser.  

We might be knackered after such high intensity, but we'd be far more encouraged by extra time than them, considering what a long shot it was. They'd be demoralised, and we'd get a second wind, thankful for the chance to go again. 

But, extra time might be a cagey affair. Them trying desperately not to loose outright, having already let 3 goals slip, and is a bit concerned about going too gung-ho and letting a sucker punch get through, having worked so hard to get that far. Maybe better to play for penalties,  especially as we have 6 arrack minded players on the pitch, and they have none or one. 

Or we just keep going with the momentum and score another 2. 

Mine things for sure though, with this set up, and no DM, Hull will get there chances. A goal from them and it's all over. We'd need Carson to play a blinder, and need for them to leave their shooting boots at home. And we'd need to be clinical (hence Darren 'one touch, one goal' Bent). 

That is the most optimistic outcome I can think of, and I'll hold onto that thought til Tuesday, til I see the team sheet, and it's the same old ****. Then I'll get depressed again. 

Today's selection wasn't far off the best option (question marks over johnson's position, or Baird / traffic cone for Johnson aside). But now the game has changed entirely. We're at half time, but the advantage is, unlike normal half time, have a chance to ring the changes. We need to take that chance.  

Sith Happens

I reckon he will play pretty much the same team, I actually think baird might come in and play the dm role. 

At least hughes and bryson can get forward then.

Johnson started ok but clearly very unfit.

1 hour ago, Ramitupper said:

It's a 4-5-1 formation without a holding DMF, Hughes in the advanced MF position, with Camara, Blackman, Weimann in their natural positions. Why Christie? because we have no-one better; and the others 1) because I'd like to see them (for once) playing in their preferred positions in an attacking formation, and 2) Our season's over and yesterday's effort was a pitiful embarrassment. Drastic changes? Yes - I'd like to see drastic changes. Wouldn't you? Or would you like to see again what you saw yesterday?

Funny it looked like a 4-3-3 to me how you posted it . You say we have no one better than Christie  (who I personally rate as poor ) which is probably true but my point with that is why drop keogh and Shackell?  I doubt that will change the game in anyway . 

I want to see changes as much as the next derby fan , I think there a necessity but I think they stem to bigger changes than just swapping a few players in the same system . 

11 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

These players are playing for their futures after yesterday and know that they have to perform this time. I think we will win... but by how many?

Why are they playing for their futures, we won't be able to shift a good lot of them even if we wanted to they'd be quite happy picking up their wages in the reserves.  

7 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Funny it looked like a 4-3-3 to me how you posted it . You say we have no one better than Christie  (who I personally rate as poor ) which is probably true but my point with that is why drop keogh and Shackell?  I doubt that will change the game in anyway . 

I want to see changes as much as the next derby fan , I think there a necessity but I think they stem to bigger changes than just swapping a few players in the same system . 

To be honest, Keogh has always scared me with the ball at his feet, or if he's tackling a player in the box. I've tried to like him, but just can't. I don't know why. I like him when he makes those foraging runs forward through the middle. Shackell - I really thought he was a great move when we were trying to sign him. But he's disappointed me big time. I love that he can head a ball, but he just can't pass the fricking thing. Call me greedy, but I want both. Rawson has both. I think. And I'd like to see him in the team. Our defence just hasn't worked this year and we were lucky not to have conceded way more than we have. I've seen enough of DCFC over the years to know that it's impossible for us to turn this tie around. When the pressure's on, we never fail to disappoint. So yeah, I'd like to see all these players who have consistently under-performed and especially in big games - dropped. Having faith in the same team to turn things around? Nope. I have none. Up the new Rams!

I'd put a DCFC fans Forum XI out. Game would attract global interest from a purely car crash entertainment point of view plus Steve Bruce actually could but himself in goals... 

Im thinking...

1 - Boycie

2 - Eddie

3 - Sissy

4 - Utch

5 - Sage

6 - McLooooovin

7 - Curtains

8 - Daveo ( capt)

9 - B4

10 - Dimmu

11 - Bris

12 - Steve Brummie

13 - Carl Sagan

14 - Mackworth

Manager

StockholmRam

Physios

Mrs and Lady Ram

Its rolling subs too. On and off when you want. And no matter what the score is at 89 mins on aggregate it's still next goal wins.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Realistically this is a free hit for us and a party for them and as much as I would like to take the smug look of mr Bruce face it is unlikely that we will be successful but we do have the talent to do it

so let us confuse them!

Carson

christie Keogh Shackel Ollson 

Hendrick Bryson 

Martin

Blackman bent Camara 

subs Hughes butterfield grant Baird Ince Russell Weiman 

I just put this on the hull Derby thread as I didn't see this one!

Carson
Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson
Ince Bryson Hughes Russell
Bent Weimann

Subs: Grant, Buxton, Baird, Hendrick, Johnson, Butterfield, Martin

Doesn’t look like we can win the round so best we can hope for is some goals to go out with a little pride. Don’t think we can get any unless we surprise Hull with how we play, they will think they can just set up the same as the first leg solid at the back then quick to counter because we’ll try a 1 upfront long ball game again. Plus confidence for our side will be low so not sure we can set out asking our players to try anything too complicated yet. So I would say go back to basics, cut out the long balls to play on the deck and try to be attacking.  Basic 4-4-2 line up with Russell & Ince given free reign moving forward, Hughes & Bryson both playing in the middle without dropping any further back then the centre circle unless really necessary and if players upfront, on the wing or in the middle start to tire we have quality in the likes of Martin, Hendrick or Johnson to play the last 30-20 mins.

Not sure we still wouldn’t get hammered trying something like that but I think it could see us atleast put up some kind of an effort for this leg even if it ends 0-0 we might atleast have 10+ efforts.

Carson

Keogh Shackell Buxton

Christie       Hughes Bryson       Olsson

Ince

Martin      Russell

Lets just go for it.

4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Carson

Keogh Shackell Buxton

Christie       Hughes Bryson       Olsson

Ince

Martin      Russell

Lets just go for it.

That would be my choice, appart from having Bucko in the middle of back 3.

Archived