Pick the team for the second leg.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

The previous time we played Hull, Johnson dominated midfield and scored two goals.

Easy to pick fault with the benefit of hindsignt though, isn't it?

Easy to pick with the benefit of knowledge. And, in the matchday thread, you'll find my Johnson-less team days before the game. Since the injury Johnson has not been as fit as Wassall has claimed.

However, even worse was not to identify our problems and react as quickly as possible in the game. Within a few minutes of Hull's opener Hughes and Johnson should have been swapped over to allow Hughes to be the attacking threat we desperately needed.

It's easy to pick fault with him because Wassall makes bad choices, is incapable of reacting to unfolding situations and never takes any responsibility. I expect him to pick the same team again for the trip to Hull in an attempt to justify the original selection and to say he's "giving the players the chance to put things right after Saturday". I do hope he's prepared to take a step back and return to the academy where it appears he's done a good job.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In hindsight the most depressing thing about it for me is that for all the talk of players 'not caring' or 'bottling it'...I think we tried our best and were simply out-played, out-skilled and out-thought.. Having spent all that money we just aren't that good and we really haven't been that good all season. For what its worth Hull's weakness seems to be a lack of pace if you get at them and we have plenty of pace on the bench so let's use it. Let's at least score a goal or two and have something to shout about.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Easy to pick with the benefit of knowledge. And, in the matchday thread, you'll find my Johnson-less team days before the game. Since the injury Johnson has not been as fit as Wassall has claimed.

However, even worse was not to identify our problems and react as quickly as possible in the game. Within a few minutes of Hull's opener Hughes and Johnson should have been swapped over to allow Hughes to be the attacking threat we desperately needed.

It's easy to pick fault with him because Wassall makes bad choices, is incapable of reacting to unfolding situations and never takes any responsibility. I expect him to pick the same team again for the trip to Hull in an attempt to justify the original selection and to say he's "giving the players the chance to put things right after Saturday". I do hope he's prepared to take a step back and return to the academy where it appears he's done a good job.

Most people do not like being criticised by anyone who clearly understands that you have given it their best shot. It never did anyone any good or improved them The wrong boss for you is someone who does not understand this basic truth. Mel appointed Wassall to give him a chance till the end of the season. He got us to the Play Offs. He could not call on these players as fully match fit players - Hendrick, BJ, Thorne, Hughes, Forsyth, Baird, Bent, Blackman, Weimann, Grant and Camara. So only Butterfield was up to speed to bring on against Hull.

Be nice to Darren and let him settle back into the Academy without any abuse from the fans. We can gain nothing from driving him out of the Club. We were totally crap when he took over, weren't we? Darren did his best and we all know it. Hull were better than us.

I can't see Hull doing anything but counter-attacking. We're facing a mountain and have to score, so when we attack, they'll try and do a Leicester and score one on the break. If they get a goal then the tie is officially dead. It already basically is.

It's lose-lose for us. We attack, then we probably play into their hands. If we play more patiently, then we probably run out of time to score 3. Our best hope is to play three at the back I reckon, have two up front and make sure our most creative midfielder is actually allowed to get into attacking bloody positions. 

Why did we have to lose our bottle on Saturday. 2 down and it's still salvageable. 

Team I'd like to see tomorrow night but I know DW won't have the nous to think of it

Carson

Keogh       Buxton     Shackell

Christie                                                                Ollsen

Hughes       Butterfield

Ince

Martin         Bent

I'd go Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell and Olsonn at the back.

Hughes and Bryson centre mid

Russell and Ince on the wing

Weimann and Bent playing up top together, and just try to hit them hard and with intensity. We have nothing at all to lose, their keeper is crap and Hull will want to avoid tiring themselves or seeing key defenders and midfielders injured! Perfect for two players like Weimann and Bent really.

My team would be:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Olsson

Russell   Bryson   Hughes   Camara

Bent    Martin

Let's just go for it. Camera is an unknown quantity, so Hull won't know what to expect from him. No point in playing a Defensive Midfielder. If we don't score in the first half, throw Weimann on too. Get an early goal and it will make the tie interesting. COYR! 

Archived