OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Saved Watford from relegation; had a poor 6 months at Reading; got Swansea promoted in his first season there, finished 11th in their first season in the prem; finished 7th in his first season at Liverpool, then 2nd (with Suarez, as you've mentioned) scoring 101 goals, then 6th and sacked.

I'd say he's done more than have one good season. Plus we're not Liverpool.

Fair point but with the exception to his first season at Swansea, none of that convinces me that he is good enough. Arguably you could say Liverpool's natural position in that league is somewhere between 4th to 8th no matter who the manager is.

Swansea finishing 11th is no different to many promoted teams in their first season. Who's to say that wouldn't have been relegated the following season had he stayed there?.

I may be wrong, but my opinion is that Rodgers or Martinez would be awful appointments. They would try to make us a Premiership team before we got to the Premier League, and that doesn't work. There are half a dozen managers out there who are Championship (almost guaranteed promotion) quality managers. Get out this league first and then starting thinking about playing nice football/changing manager.

The only way you get out of the Championship is through hard work and determination. And a certain knowhow.

Not Rodgers, or Sherwood, or Martinez, Monk or the likes.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've said already. I like Wassell as a bloke, I think it's obvious he cares about this club a lot! But I still think we need a Pearson/Rodgers type to take us forwards. 

If Wassell was to get the job I do think it would cause a split between the fans. Interesting summer it's going to be either way 

1 minute ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Fair point but with the exception to his first season at Swansea, none of that convinces me that he is good enough. Arguably you could say Liverpool's natural position in that league is somewhere between 4th to 8th no matter who the manager is.

Swansea finishing 11th is no different to many promoted teams in their first season. Who's to say that wouldn't have been relegated the following season had he stayed there?.

I may be wrong, but my opinion is that Rodgers or Martinez would be awful appointments. They would try to make us a Premiership team before we got to the Premier League, and that doesn't work. There are half a dozen managers out there who are Championship (almost guaranteed promotion) quality managers. Get out this league first and then starting thinking about playing nice football/changing manager.

The only way you get out of the Championship is through hard work and determination. And a certain knowhow.

Not Rodgers, or Sherwood, or Martinez, Monk or the likes.

That's fair. I don't pretend to have any real insight. I'm completely laid back about it all, I just think it's informative to question some reasoning.

Whoever we get, I'll support. Every manager has good and bad spells. A great, flawless manager, could come to us and have his first bad spell and Derby fans would describe him as "useless". He'd still be a great option in the eyes of everyone else.

I think, whoever we get, we should appoint someone who celebrates as much as Wassall when we score.

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's fair. I don't pretend to have any real insight. I'm completely laid back about it all, I just think it's informative to question some reasoning.

Whoever we get, I'll support. Every manager has good and bad spells. A great, flawless manager, could come to us and have his first bad spell and Derby fans would describe him as "useless". He'd still be a great option in the eyes of everyone else.

I think, whoever we get, we should appoint someone who celebrates as much as Wassall when we score.

I'm a bit the same but would definitely be disappointed with Rodgers, Martinez or Monk. Less so Moyes, he proved it over many seasons.

I just want Morris to choose sensibly. I don't care if its a name that doesn't sound attractive initially (for example Bruce), as long as it has been thought through and Morris thinks its the right thing to do. Not just a name to please the fans, because like you say we will support them whoever they are in time.

I'd certainly be happier with Bruce, Houghton, Pearson. They don't spell attractive football but I'd be more confident that they'd react to problems, injuries and the other teams tactics.

17 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

I just want Morris to choose sensibly. I don't care if its a name that doesn't sound attractive initially (for example Bruce), as long as it has been thought through and Morris thinks its the right thing to do. Not just a name to please the fans,

because like you say we will support them whoever they are in time.

Er, are you Super Richard Keogh pretending to be Super Johnny Russell?!

10 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Er, are you Super Richard Keogh pretending to be Super Johnny Russell?!

Hahahaha, I nearly put that I wasn't Keogh in brackets after that.

But then I thought it was getting as boring as the Michael Owen jokes.

Im not ITK but i have heard at the weekend that Morris has already spoke to......Steve Bruce. 

Im not fussed really, think Bruce and Derby may be a good fit.

If you listen to his interview after lasts nights match, it was almost embarrassing the amount of time he mention how good Derby were. He has also mentioned he is looking at his position at Hull, regardless of the league they will be in.

Putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5 here but it would fit the bill of waiting for a Manager to become available.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. Oh and don't shoot me, a mate told me this lol

9 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

Im not ITK but i have heard at the weekend that Morris has already spoke to......Steve Bruce. 

Im not fussed really, think Bruce and Derby may be a good fit.

If you listen to his interview after lasts nights match, it was almost embarrassing the amount of time he mention how good Derby were. He has also mentioned he is looking at his position at Hull, regardless of the league they will be in.

Putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5 here but it would fit the bill of waiting for a Manager to become available.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. Oh and don't shoot me, a mate told me this lol

But Hull have been just as inconsistent as us this season, with a stronger squad than us who have consequently underperformed even more than we have. They were just as bad last night as we were on Saturday. Why would Bruce be able to sort our lot out when he hasn't been able to do it with Hull?.

4 hours ago, BarrowRam said:

Mel and sam have had a long time  to decide  who the right man is to take  derby forward.  Let's hope this time they get it right.  We don't  want another  season  like the one we just had.

Sorry mate.  Disagree.  They need to decide whether a change is to be made and then make it p.d.q.  We need to give Jimmy New kid as much time as possible to get his stall in order for the start of next season (if a change is to be made).  I know we did that this season, but with the wrong choice.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-facing-10m-dilemma-7992475#13tcxLuOQUZDmo1E.97

Long story short - Rodgers is due £10m in severance payments from Liverpool over 2 years, which he forfeits if he signs for a new club.

Potential fly in the ointment..

It's not putting him off talking to Celtic though. He must REALLY want to get back to work.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-facing-10m-dilemma-7992475#13tcxLuOQUZDmo1E.97

Long story short - Rodgers is due £10m in severance payments from Liverpool over 2 years, which he forfeits if he signs for a new club.

Potential fly in the ointment..

Quote on Sky that he wants a new job this summer.

It's a critical appointment, but must be done soon - a full summer of squad appraisal, reviews of 2015-16 performances and stats, coaching backroom shuffle, all need to be undertaken.

Players of course report back for pre-season in early July - and things need to be in place for the all-important prep and friendlies.

The team /squad is too inconsistent,often not physical or ruthless enough, lacking leadership on the pitch, players deployed in the wrong positions, betrayed insufficient belief and resilience in the biggest games more often than not....these traits have been evident under the last 3 managers/head coaches, through the past three failed promotion campaigns.

Mr Wassall is a genuine and committed person but there have been too many selection, tactical and substitution faux pas for him to continue in the role. He could go back to the Academy with his head held high but is a poor fit as first team Head Coach - an experienced personality is required.

More than a tweak or two or a couple of signings / outgoings will be fundamental to breaking that cycle, to create a team to mount a genuine promotion challenge for 46 (or more) games.

Over to you, Mel...

:thumbsup:

Archived