Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

43 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

How many times have you played CB?

In that position, facing away from the goal, you have no idea exactly where the posts are. If you blame Keogh for attempting to clear the ball in that situation, you're showing your lack of footballing knowledge unfortunately...

Had he not swiped at it and it had nestled in the bottom corner (as for all he knew it could have done), you'd equally be berating him for not defending properly!

Drop the agenda, Keogh was one of the few players showing true commitment yesterday and had a solid, if unspectacular game at the back. Our issues lay in our inability to play creatively further up the pitch, which in turn put more pressure on our defence, again not Keogh's fault. 

When countless pundits praise Keogh and you're clinging to a couple of errors he's made in 5 years with us, you're disagreeing with people that know far more about football than you. Accept that you're scapegoating, albeit the wrong section of the team, let alone player :lol:

What about the first  mistake Keogh made then for the first goal he's an amateur 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, curtains said:

What about the first  mistake Keogh made then for the first goal he's an amateur 

Premier league defenders find it difficult to deal with a ball fizzed in with such pace towards the near post. Why aren't you asking the question as to how their winger managed to get so much space to whip a ball in like that? We gave him a free cross when we'd already had a few scares from that side of the pitch. If anything it's Forsyth at fault, not Keogh.

Just now, lrm14 said:

Premier league defenders find it difficult to deal with a ball fizzed in with such pace towards the near post. Why aren't you asking the question as to how their winger managed to get so much space to whip a ball in like that? We gave him a free cross when we'd already had a few scares from that side of the pitch. If anything it's Forsyth at fault, not Keogh.

Forsyth had a mare yesterday.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Forsyth had a mare yesterday.

Yeah he was very poor and you can tell he's still not up to pace. It didn't help that he was on his own against both Enobakhare and Doherty though, he really needed someone to track back for him or the formation to be changed.

49 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Think its harsh to pin much blame on Keogh for the two goals. 

Football is a team game. Attack as a team, defend as a team.

There were many instances in both goals where they could have been snuffed out at an earlier stage.

The move for the first starts with Derby putting no pressure on the ball, and Wolves then have plenty of time to pass the ball around in our half. Forsyth then gets caught way out of position as he misses an interception, and the cross isn't stopped by Davies. Keogh doesn't deal well enough with it, granted, but I'd be expecting a keeper of Carson's experience to be putting his name on that. Wisdom doesn't do enough to block the shot. Keogh is then unlucky as he tries to make a goal line clearance, but fluffs it.

Keogh doesn't even have anything to do with the second. Forsyth fouls his man after a poor pass from Huddlestone, who then misses the interception, and it's Davies' man who Keogh tries to close down as the former is left in no man's land, leaving Keogh's man free for a simple tap in.

No two mistakes for the first goal .

Look he's brilliant I give in .

I am out. 

Just watched the goals for the first time (currently in a field in Cornwall) and it looks to me like the first goal came from Wisdom not stopping the wide man putting a cross in and the an unfortunate deflection from Keogh which is the sort of goal Derby seem too give away a number of times a season for some reason but it's not always Keogh who touched the ball last. The second goal (and judging by a few highlights before the goal) seemed to suggest that the defence was being asked to play too high up the pitch (to try and close the gap to the forwards artificially by reducing the gap from front back???). The fullbacks were played out of the game at this point and Davies isn't quick enough to get back when pushed up that high. That's the issue, the way they are being asked to play, it's not possible with the players we have (Davies and Wisdom are slow and Forsyth is rusty as hell) this puts the focus on Keogh and makes it look like it's his fault when he is unable to stop 2/3 attackers by himself. A few highlights before the second goal Davies went to the man rather than stepping back which with his lack of pace left him bypassed by a quick 1-2 , luckily they didn't make the most of it and hit the back of the net, looked like they were golden chances and it could easily of been 4.

From what I have seen so far it's the tactics at fault (and this includes higher up the field playing balls to Martin which aren't going anywhere and just coming straight back) and the fullbacks pushing up too far when they can't get back and cover the ground which sucks the centrebacks out and then Davies steps out and is easily beaten by a 1-2.

With the lack of proper wingers and the players we have at elsewhere I think we need to be back playing the considered approach to matches that Clement tried to instill, the pass it around and recycle play rather than looking for a pass which invariably results in play breaking down as we can't deal with what happens next.

Would all those calling Keogh out for the deflection prefer a centre back who didn't at least try to block a goalbound shot that had gone past the keeper? Maybe he should have pulled up a deckchair and watched it. He was unlucky, get over it.

Keogh was quite literally the least of our problems on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Would all those calling Keogh out for the deflection prefer a centre back who didn't at least try to block a goalbound shot that had gone past the keeper? Maybe he should have pulled up a deckchair and watched it. He was unlucky, get over it.

Absolutely agree. If I had to rank our players for their performance on Saturday then I'd probably put Keogh as something like 2nd or 3rd best. 

I really wish this thread could be closed. Yes he makes mistakes but no more than any other player on the pitch (with the possible exception of Carson). Let's just get off his back. 

13 hours ago, curtains said:

No two mistakes for the first goal .

Look he's brilliant I give in .

I am out. 

Don't make it sound like I said he's blameless. He's not. Nobody on that pitch was.

But to single him out when it could have been stopped closer to the halfway line is nonsense. It's that Wembley goal all over again. 

1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Knew this thread would have been having a pop at Keogh - It's depressing that people seem to think an unlucky deflection is a good reason to berate him yet again

Carson, Keogh and Davies were the ONLY positive things on the pitch on Saturday - Our full backs got torn to pieces, Martin was totally isolated and everyone else was dreadful - I lay the blame partly at Rowetts door for not being tactically shrewd enough to work out how to play against their formation - But as with last season Keogh ended up having to do our midfields job for them 

Archived