Buxton

TroyDyer

On 20/03/2016 at 07:15, toddy said:

Again when you don't agree with an opinion why don't you come back with answers to why I said what I did about him lacking ability rather than personal attacks  is it because I am right?

If I am not right please do tell all of what he brings to the pitch in skill, pace etc.

What skill and pace does Jamie Hanson have that would have made it a better idea to move him to centre back? 

Rather than a like for like swap you would have tinkered...can already imagine what Wassall would have been subjected to had he done that and it backfired. 

In terms of what 'skills' does Buxton have:-

Good in the air

Strong tackler

Good leader

All essential skills for a central defender

Also very good distribution which is a major plus in a footballing side

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

interesting on the podcast that @Srg mentions Buxton's perceived weakness of dealing with players with the ball at their feet, I would point out that there are hardly any strikers in this league that are good with the ball at their feet.

Should have elaborated. it's more players with a low centre of gravity. Not necessarily with the ball at their feet.

Just now, Srg said:

Andre Gray, Nakhi Wells and alike.

I'm not going to disagree, it's pointless. But what I will say is that there are only a handful of players in this league that will cause Buxton a problem, but there isn't a defender at this level who can handle every type of opponent.

Shackell hardly covered himself in glory against Gray, and Keogh almost knotted his own legs at the knee in the same game.

For all Buxton's lack of mobility, he is rarely rash, very rarely mistimes a challenge, and I don't recall a bad decision made. He is better, in my opinion, than both Keogh and Shackell based on that ability to defend. I don't care about overall ability as it's largely irrelevant when you balls up the basics. 

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm not going to disagree, it's pointless. But what I will say is that there are only a handful of players in this league that will cause Buxton a problem, but there isn't a defender at this level who can handle every type of opponent.

Shackell hardly covered himself in glory against Gray, and Keogh almost knotted his own legs at the knee in the same game.

For all Buxton's lack of mobility, he is rarely rash, very rarely mistimes a challenge, and I don't recall a bad decision made. He is better, in my opinion, than both Keogh and Shackell based on that ability to defend. I don't care about overall ability as it's largely irrelevant when you balls up the basics. 

The fact you think he's better than Keogh and Shackell means we will never agree, so you're right, it's a bit pointless.

Bucko on Ramsplayer, not sure if this has been pointed out but can't be bothered going through the whole thread to find out.

Anyway, what he said:

I worked very hard to get to this football club so to just walk out or go to another football club when times are tough - that's not what I'm about. I wanted to be here and I don't want to leave here.

If I can play one game from now until the end of the season, or if I play every one, or if I play in none, I'm still here and I'm fully behind this football club all the way

I love Bucko'S attitude, if every player in our squad, had his heart and desire we would be top of the league 10 points clear by now, hope to see Mr Buxton, in some more games this season, the bloke is just Mr Derby County through and through and thats why we all love him.

10 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I do wonder if Keogh would make a good DM.

It isn't just about passing, it is ball retention in tight areas. Having quick feet, a good touch, shielding the ball, turning away from danger.

This is why most converted CBs are limited in this role. Including Hanson. 

54 minutes ago, sage said:

It isn't just about passing, it is ball retention in tight areas. Having quick feet, a good touch, shielding the ball, turning away from danger.

This is why most converted CBs are limited in this role. Including Hanson. 

Eustace didn't have many of those qualities

4 minutes ago, 11carl00 said:

Eustace didn't have many of those qualities

He was more destructive. However he was good at shielding the ball, he was hard to knock off it.

This is why Thorne was an upgrade. Eustace was better defensively. It is hard to get someone as good as he was at stealing possession.

Whilst Eustace was good we ought to aim better.  

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

4 or 5 seasons ago I thought Buxton was garbage.

Season on season he has improved and become a good Championship defender.

You would never convince me that he is a better defender than Shackell though.

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I do wonder if Keogh would make a good DM.

No.

He has an awkwardness about his first touch which would be exploited.

You need to be able to pass first time to play there.

I can see your logic in that he reads the game well, can tackle and can pick a pass but it's receiving a pass under pressure where he would struggle.

50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

4 or 5 seasons ago I thought Buxton was garbage.

Season on season he has improved and become a good Championship defender.

You would never convince me that he is a better defender than Shackell though.

Even though he is a competent defender, Shackell makes me nervous every time he has the ball at his feet; he seems so unsure and vulnerable. I think he would be more comfortable operating as a Nigel Clough 'head it and kick it' defender. I think that Jake Buxton is a better all round defender who makes the right decisions more often than not when he has the ball. He may not be as tall as some would like but the guy has a tremendous leap. He may not be as quick as some would like but he reads the game really well. I also think it is a big mistake to make Keogh captain again. He doesn't manage the responsibility well, better to just let him concentrate on his defending, which this year for the most part he has done very well. I do understand why people like Shackell, and to me he is ok, but Buxton has the edge.

Archived