Buxton

TroyDyer

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Sorry but i cant help only type so far and wont do a line space.

Just keep typing mate, it'll automatically go down to the next line when there's enough text :thumbsup:

Doesnt really matter though, it was just amusing that it happened where it did :lol:

9 hours ago, bcnram said:

Even though he is a competent defender, Shackell makes me nervous every time he has the ball at his feet; he seems so unsure and vulnerable. I think he would be more comfortable operating as a Nigel Clough 'head it and kick it' defender. I think that Jake Buxton is a better all round defender who makes the right decisions more often than not when he has the ball. He may not be as tall as some would like but the guy has a tremendous leap. He may not be as quick as some would like but he reads the game really well. I also think it is a big mistake to make Keogh captain again. He doesn't manage the responsibility well, better to just let him concentrate on his defending, which this year for the most part he has done very well. I do understand why people like Shackell, and to me he is ok, but Buxton has the edge.

Buxton much better on the ball but I really don't think there is any comparison when it comes to defending.

Wasn't Shackell rated as one of the best defenders in the Premier League last season?

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Buxton much better on the ball but I really don't think there is any comparison when it comes to defending.

Wasn't Shackell rated as one of the best defenders in the Premier League last season?

no, but I think he had a high percentage of blocks. There is more to defending than blocking shots, and the 'more' is what Shackell is distinctly average at .

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For Burnley. A very different team to us.

Every team has its style, and it's not just the front 6 that play that style. It's everyone, including your defenders and keeper.

Bradley Johnson was one of the best midfielders in the league last season. For Norwich. We didn't pay £6million because we were getting £6million worth of player for us, but because that was what he was worth to Norwich in their promotion last season.

BJ would look good for Burnley, and put him on the left of the 4-4-2 under Billy in the 06/07 season and we might have gone up as Champions.

The problem is, we've stopped building a team and started playing Football League Sticker Book. Only a complete fool wouldn't recognise that Shackell is one of the best defenders in the league, but that doesn't necessarily make him the right option for us.

The aspect of the club that really worries me at the moment is the club saying they want a very specific style of football on the one hand, and then on the other hand assuming promotion is inevitable if you just keep signing the most prestigious players at this level regardless of what position they play.

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

For Burnley. A very different team to us.

Every team has its style, and it's not just the front 6 that play that style. It's everyone, including your defenders and keeper.

Bradley Johnson was one of the best midfielders in the league last season. For Norwich. We didn't pay £6million because we were getting £6million worth of player for us, but because that was what he was worth to Norwich in their promotion last season.

BJ would look good for Burnley, and put him on the left of the 4-4-2 under Billy in the 06/07 season and we might have gone up as Champions.

The problem is, we've stopped building a team and started playing Football League Sticker Book. Only a complete fool wouldn't recognise that Shackell is one of the best defenders in the league, but that doesn't necessarily make him the right option for us.

The aspect of the club that really worries me at the moment is the club saying they want a very specific style of football on the one hand, and then on the other hand assuming promotion is inevitable if you just keep signing the most prestigious players at this level regardless of what position they play.

Our defence has been great most of the season. 

Keogh needs to pass out of defence as much as Shackell instead of keep giving it back to him.  

We were all over the place at the back when Bucko came on but he did the job. 

He is a fan cult figure and is good to have around. 

I like Buxton but I was convinced he was going to give a penalty away or get sent off after watching him for two minutes on Saturday.

I think the fans hype him up so much that he neglects the actual game he should be playing and resorts to taunting and pulling shirts.

Great player to have in your squad but I'm afraid he's not good enough to replace Shackell.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

no, but I think he had a high percentage of blocks. There is more to defending than blocking shots, and the 'more' is what Shackell is distinctly average at .

Blocking, heading and tackling are the most important attributes when looking at defending in isolation surely? 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

By the way you've worded this, it sounds like you're making your judgement purely on reputation. You don't think there is any comparison because Shackell was rated as one of the best defenders in the Premier League last season?

Carson

Keogh Shackell Buxton

Thorne

Christie                                           Olsson

Bryson  Butterfield(Hughes when fit)         

Ince

Martin

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Carson

Keogh Shackell Buxton

Thorne

Christie                                           Olsson

Bryson  Butterfield(Hughes when fit)         

Ince

Martin

And that won't happen at the back. 

18 minutes ago, Tombo said:

By the way you've worded this, it sounds like you're making your judgement purely on reputation. You don't think there is any comparison because Shackell was rated as one of the best defenders in the Premier League last season?

Just trying to highlight that defending is his strength and that has been proved at a level higher than the one he currently plays at.

Making my judgement on what I have seen and I believe this would be backed up by stats. 

FWIW, and I did start a thread on this a couple of months ago, I would probably rather have Bucko in the team. Reason being if we get out attacking play right I really don't think we would need to worry about the defending side so much.

Archived