Harry Redknapp

Gap tooth ram

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we now QPR Lite?

It's an interesting development. Just when you think the season couldn't get any more farcical, the interim manager has to call in some interim help.

Is there a precedent for advisory roles actually doing some good? The last I recall is QPR did it with Ramsey and Warnock and Ramsey lasted all of four games before he was ousted, never to be seen again and Warnock took charge.

You would think that what has transpired this season would have taught Mel some humility, especially after spending £25 million and not even being sure of a play-off place. But yet again, he wants to maintain this image of himself as someone who is cool, calm and beyond collected and a person who never fails, is always right and never makes a mistake. I think a lot of fans would respect Mel a lot more if he just showed even the slightest bit of accountability. 

Why is he trying to save face by keeping Wassall as head coach? He was supposed to be "a safe pair of hands". So safe are his pair of hands that he needs an extra pair of vastly more experienced hands to steady him in those moments when he craves a little risk?

Don't drop the baby, Darren. Don't...

Wassall isn't going to get the job permanently and he would be better served doing the job that he has been paid to do for years, rather than being treated in such a patronising manner. He has been an excellent servant to the club and he deserves better. It's fine to give him the job but let him stand on his own two feet, living or dying by the sword, not being mollycoddled and stumbling through the next nine games.

Of course, the players will respect Harry's presence and benefit from him being around and of course, it will give the fans some reassurance that a more experienced figure may influence results and performances for the better.

But at the same time, Wassall's credibility and confidence can only go one way. If they didn't already, the fans and players will question who is calling the shots. It wouldn't surprise me to see them get the impression that Wassall was the man, but now he is being demoted to Harry's messenger boy - tight shorts, safety helmet and all.

Let's face it, they can paint it as everyone working together and pulling in the same direction. But come on, should there be an upturn in our results and we get promoted, the only people who come out of this smelling of roses will be Mel, Harry and Sam. Everyone but Darren Wassall!

My gut feeling though is that it might look a desperately bad decision but it'd be typical of our season to see the craziest decision be the best one.

34 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Is anyone seriously believes that it was DW's idea than they are silly.

This wasn't even in the pipeline until the collapse at Rotherham.

Mel has a home near Bournemouth which is on the same road as Redknapp and they become good friends. 

This was a reaction from the Rotherham game. 100% 

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Also, if Derby do any good (i.e. it doesn't fall flat on its face) Redknapp WILL be sticking around for next season. Obviously.

All my life I've never liked Harry Redknapp to be honest, I've always considered I'm a 'wheeler dealer' manager who just buys and sells players at a canter. If you'd have asked me before Monday I would have said he should be nowhere near the club.

Now he looks to be coming here, I will give him a chance; surely that's the least he deserves? We have him for 9 games this season and I'd argue that one of his best qualities is man management, so hopefully he will be able to sort our squad out and get them hungry for promotion (not that most aren't already).

Despite me not liking Redknapp, I can't deny I feel our chances in the playoffs will significantly improve if he comes here. After all, he has previous experience of it as well as winning the FA Cup. Compare that to Wassall who has no previous experience whatsoever and I think it's clear we stand a better chance in the playoffs with Redknapp than without him.

I won't get into the bad stuff about Redknapp because I could probably go on for hours, but fortunately since he only has 9 games that shouldn't be long enough for him to have too much of a devastating effect on the club in any way.

What I do find peculiar about this is that Mel Morris has said that promotion isn't a priority this season, whereas I think that this appointment would state otherwise. To me it looks like Morris' last roll of the dice to somehow get promoted through the playoffs. However I could be over thinking it and maybe Redknapp is just here purely to advise Wassall because I can't deny that he had been struggling with tactical decisions (although to his credit the style of play has improved).

Against my better judgement, I'm willing to give Harry a chance and I'm happy to have him on board. I just wish others could open their minds and give the man a chance and not write him off before he's even got the job! (Not aimed at anyone on particular)

6 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Mel has a home near Bournemouth which is on the same road as Redknapp and they become good friends. 

I wrote earlier in the thread I thought this was a direct effect of Shackell challenging Wassell's authority, now whether it was that or it's down to the capitulation and I'm wrong (it has been known) but it wouldn't surprise me if Wassell went to Mel and said I don't want to do this anymore (let's be honest, Shackell humiliated him) and Mel said don't worry, I'll get someone in to help you fearing his Darren will be in charge til the season promise went west.

30 minutes ago, SIWY said:

All my life I've never liked Harry Redknapp to be honest, I've always considered I'm a 'wheeler dealer' manager who just buys and sells players at a canter. If you'd have asked me before Monday I would have said he should be nowhere near the club.

Now he looks to be coming here, I will give him a chance; surely that's the least he deserves? We have him for 9 games this season and I'd argue that one of his best qualities is man management, so hopefully he will be able to sort our squad out and get them hungry for promotion (not that most aren't already).

Despite me not liking Redknapp, I can't deny I feel our chances in the playoffs will significantly improve if he comes here. After all, he has previous experience of it as well as winning the FA Cup. Compare that to Wassall who has no previous experience whatsoever and I think it's clear we stand a better chance in the playoffs with Redknapp than without him.

I won't get into the bad stuff about Redknapp because I could probably go on for hours, but fortunately since he only has 9 games that shouldn't be long enough for him to have too much of a devastating effect on the club in any way.

What I do find peculiar about this is that Mel Morris has said that promotion isn't a priority this season, whereas I think that this appointment would state otherwise. To me it looks like Morris' last roll of the dice to somehow get promoted through the playoffs. However I could be over thinking it and maybe Redknapp is just here purely to advise Wassall because I can't deny that he had been struggling with tactical decisions (although to his credit the style of play has improved).

Against my better judgement, I'm willing to give Harry a chance and I'm happy to have him on board. I just wish others could open their minds and give the man a chance and not write him off before he's even got the job! (Not aimed at anyone on particular)

People had better get used to it. Who did they think we were going to get? Rodgers? No chance. Moyes? No chance. McLaren? You're having a laugh. That guy from Rangers? Where was that bottom of the barrel again?

We've got a name, with contacts, pedigree, ability etc in the Prem and people are still moaning. Well, I was moaning at the lack of action 9 scheduled games out of preparing for the new season, and it arrived in good time.

Great news, great coach with all the trimmings.

Welcome Harry (when there's an official announcement).

Also, the 'we're not going for promotion' and 'the Derby way' were obviously massive foot in mouth moments and hopefully this doesn't occur again.

Sith Happens

If he does come, it will be announced today or its not happening, can see DW staying in the role for a game or two and then some spun message that he feels he needs to get back to the u 21 team, that he has a bright future and all that and harry will take the reigns.

Just seen on Sky Sports News that "Redknapp is taking charge of Jordan's national team for World Cup qualifiers this month... combining the role with position as consultant with Championship side Derby."

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, SIWY said:

Just seen on Sky Sports News that "Redknapp is taking charge of Jordan's national team for World Cup qualifiers this month... combining the role with position as consultant with Championship side Derby."

Nothing like commitment to the role.

Tell you what, if the club has turned into everything you hate, just walk away instead of pissing off everyone else who still supports the club. Burn your non-existent season tickets, or if you actually have one, return it and save yourselves a fortune.

You boo the team, you boo the manager, then when the club try to act on your oh-so-sound advice, you boo that as well.

when i said i wanted someone to help us for the last ten games.........ten cup finals etc......this wasn't what i had in mind.....part-time help from Sandbanks / Jordan.....

Also this should have been in place earlier

Only time will tell if the short term consultancy pays off......

Our first step is to put the Gumps to the sword

7 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

So effectively Mel's given the job to another neighbour/mate

34 minutes ago, irobinson said:

when i said i wanted someone to help us for the last ten games.........ten cup finals etc......this wasn't what i had in mind.....part-time help from Sandbanks / Jordan.....

Also this should have been in place earlier

Only time will tell if the short term consultancy pays off......

Our first step is to put the Gumps to the sword

Will be a tough tree to fell got a decent point away at hull last night but hopefully there all knackered for sat :) 

Archived