Harry Redknapp

Gap tooth ram

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

further to my stupid post, I've seen owen bradley and others on twitter say Redknapp has confirmed hes joined us to two national newspapers. I can't find any traces of either story quoting him, anyone got a link? 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/14/harry-redknapp-in-line-for-derby-director-of-football-job/

He said: “The call from Derby came out of the blue but this is an exciting challenge and hopefully we can finish the season in the play-off final at Wembley. I know the Championship, I know how difficult it can be and my experience will hopefully prove invaluable.

“I never thought I’d become a director of football but my role at Derby is completely different and it is only going to run until the end of the season.”

Redknapp insisted Wassall, who replaced Paul Clement in February, was happy with the appointment and has pledged not to interfere on team matters.

In November 2014, when he was manager of Queens Park Rangers, he claimed directors of football were a “joke” and said the thought of working under one was nonsense.

But now he says: “I won’t be pushing players on to the manager or having anything to do with signings and it is all about helping Darren. I’ll be doing a few days a week to assist with the coaching and I’ll be someone the manager can bounce ideas off. Management can be a lonely job, especially when it’s your first position, and I am here to help in any way I can.

“The chairman, Mel Morris, called me at 7.30 on the Sunday night and I drove up on Monday morning to speak to him. I liked what he had to say and it was important to me that the manager had no issues with me coming in.

“Derby are an ambitious club with fantastic facilities and it was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/652585/Harry-Redknapp-director-of-football-Derby-County

Redknapp said:"The call from Derby came completely out of the blue but this is an exciting challenge and hopefully we can finish the season in the play-off final at Wembley.

"I know the Championship, I know how difficult it can be and my experience will hopefully prove invaluable.

"I never thought I'd become a director of football but my role at Derby is completely different and it is only going to run until the end of the season, when I hope we will all be celebrating promotion back to the Premier League.

"I won't be pushing players onto the manager or having anything to do with signings and it is all about helping Darren.

"I'll be doing a few days a week to assist with the coaching and I'll be someone the manager can bounce ideas off. Management can be a lonely job, especially when it's your first position, and I am here to help in any way I can.

"The chairman, Mel Morris, called me at 7.30 on the Sunday night and I drove up on Monday morning to speak to him. I liked what he had to say and it was important to me that the manager had no issues with me coming in. 

"Derby are an ambitious club with fantastic facilities and it was an opportunity I couldn't turn down."

However in November Redknapp called the role a nonense.

He said: “It totally undermines your role as manager if you’re not picking the players. It’s a joke really that you are expected to work with someone else’s players. It’s all very well someone recommending players to you but when they don’t work out, it’s your head on the block.

“I’m just not in favour of that. As a manager I have to select the players, train them every day and make decisions. To expect me to work with players someone else has decided I want is a nonsense. I want to make my own decisions and rightfully so. If things don’t work out fine, I’m responsible for that. But why should I be accountable for someone else’s mistakes?

“My head’s on the block when it goes wrong so no I’m not going to support something that could cost me my job and I have no say in it.”

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Harry’s given some role at DCFC this season then I doubt many of the regular Harry mockers of this forum will survive the news with their mental health intact…

…and things can only get worse for them. If we do badly in the remaining games then no one will blame HR given what else has happened this season. But if we do really well then HR’s the one that’ll get most of the credit- whether his actual input deserves it or not.

This twilight zone of a season just never lets up…

knows how to sp*nk money does old 'arry, good job old Mr Meddle loves to sp*nk it to !! match made in heaven !!

Mel will be signing on by the time 'arry has finished !

A fans view.

"Redknapp’s reign has been a shambles, to be frank. There have been a preposterous number of signings, at a total cost reputed to be £58m"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/03/qpr-harry-redknapp-fans-view-michael-hann

17 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

knows how to sp*nk money does old 'arry, good job old Mr Meddle loves to sp*nk it to !! match made in heaven !!

Mel will be signing on by the time 'arry has finished !

A fans view.

"Redknapp’s reign has been a shambles, to be frank. There have been a preposterous number of signings, at a total cost reputed to be £58m"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/03/qpr-harry-redknapp-fans-view-michael-hann

"I never thought I'd become a director of football but my role at Derby is completely different and it is only going to run until the end of the season, when I hope we will all be celebrating promotion back to the Premier League.

"I won't be pushing players onto the manager or having anything to do with signings and it is all about helping Darren."

I fear you may be disappointed.

31 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

"I won't be pushing players onto the manager or having anything to do with signings and it is all about helping Darren."

I fear you may be disappointed.

naive

Too willing to believe that someone is telling the truth, that people's intentions in general are good, or that life is simple and fair. People are often naive because they are young and/or have not had much experience of life:

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

People do forget that Harry Redknapp defeated us in the season that many will regard as our 'best' in terms of enjoyment since the Jim Smith days. Lucky or not, he got them up. We stayed down and we're still here.

If he comes in until the end of the season what is there to lose? We're three points away from 7th so it's not out of the realms of possibility that our season will be over, and perhaps not in the way we'd have expected, on May 7th. What this does say, if it happens, is that Mel would actually quite like promotion this season. We wouldn't be bringing in a guy to 'assist' who has spent the large part of his career in the top-flight if we were content on just seeing the season out and seeing what happens.

If 'Arry comes in, then regardless of what happens I don't think he'll be here this season. I don't think he would be in our plans for the future, and I doubt we'd be in his plans for the future. He's nearly 70, he had to leave his last job due to an operation and he still relies on his overseas based dog for pocket money (:ph34r:). All he will bring here is a wealth of experience and knowledge. No dodgy signings, no financial involvement. 9 games, 12 at the very most. That's it.

This sort of arrangement has worked before for other clubs - notably Brendan Rogers / Frank Lampard senior at Watford 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/watford/3513265/Watford-appoint-Brendan-Rodgers-manager-and-hand-role-to-Frank-Lampard-Snr-Football.html

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Surely it's hugely disrespectful if he accepts the Derby job and then pisses off to manage Jordan during the int. break. What an utter shambles if true. I hate what we've become, hate it.

Don't worry there are plenty of us that hate what you've become too.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm still struggling to see the point in bringing him in, I just don't see what he'll bring to the party - 

Motivation - He may well be a legendary motivator but he'd gonna take time to get to know the players and what makes them tick.  A luxury we don't really have.

Tactics - A classic 4-4-2 manager, not exactly the Derby Way.  I've posted about it a couple of times but in the Play Off Final he was about to sub Junior Hoilett until Clint Hill jogged over to the touchline and told him he was their only viable out ball for any counters.  So Hill subbed himself.  Who teed up Zamora's goal (apart from Keogh)?  Junior Hoilett.  None of his sides have played with any particular style and his greatest piece of tactical nous was recognising Gareth Bale wasn't the best left back in the world but might make a decent winger.

Coaching - He's the first to admit he doesn't get his boots muddy and left all the coaching to Joe Jordan/Kevin Bond/Schteve etc.

Transfers - The windows shut so only loans & frees are viable for another couple of weeks.  Who could he really bring in in improve us?

So if it's merely to hold Waffall's hand and squeeze it really hard when he's about to do something stupid did we really need the circus that's come with the announcement, why not just bring in a solid coach who's been there and done it like Mike Phelan or Brian Kidd???  I can't imagine many people would get so offended at the thought of either of those two coming to the club in an "advisory" capacity... 

I think you must have forgotten many years of experience at the top level of football,with lots of highs and quite a few lows as well.

2 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

I think you must have forgotten many years of experience at the top level of football,with lots of highs and quite a few lows as well.

So his anecdote game is strong, what else can he give us??

i know he's got plenty of experience, I'm trying to figure out how it'll benefit us other than 'Arry shaking his head when Waffall suggests swapping Carson & Martin around when we're chasing a goal with ten to go...

1 hour ago, ramesses said:

If Harry’s given some role at DCFC this season then I doubt many of the regular Harry mockers of this forum will survive the news with their mental health intact…

…and things can only get worse for them. If we do badly in the remaining games then no one will blame HR given what else has happened this season. But if we do really well then HR’s the one that’ll get most of the credit- whether his actual input deserves it or not.

This twilight zone of a season just never lets up…

Not me, mate.

I'd praise Mel to the rafters, and expect sausages in return - Cumberland sausages.

17 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Maybe he will sit in the stands and seeing what is happening and advicing what to do next to help get us the wins.

Ahh do you mean sit behind Mel and whisper in his ear like? Sure I saw pictures of somebody else doing that earlier in the season.

Archived