Wassall Out?

YorkshireRam

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Clement: 0 wins in first 6 games after signing his own players and having a pre-season

Wassall: 3 wins in first 6 games with inherited squad and none of his own signings.

Work that one out.

0 wins in 6 after inheriting a squad who'd been an utter shambles, a nervous wreck, 2 months prior, and losing our two most influential midfielders to injury before half time in game 1. Far from the ideal situation you've tried to paint it as.

Stuart Pearce: 5 wins and 6 draws in his first 11 games

Work that one out?

He was a terrible manager, I knew it, you knew it, even some Forest fans probably knew it. Going 11 undefeated at the start of his reign, being top of the table by September, did nothing to hide this fact.

Just because it's Derby County instead of Forest it doesn't make other people wrong (overreacting, dramatic, disloyal, half-fans, whatever) to have some serious doubts about his abilities, in spite of the a few good results early on.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Just because it's Derby County instead of Forest it doesn't make other people wrong (overreacting, dramatic, disloyal, half-fans, whatever) to have some serious doubts about his abilities, in spite of the a few good results early on.

having doubts is very very different to behaving like the bloke has done something really bad and is getting us relegated!

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

having doubts is very very different to behaving like the bloke has done something really bad and is getting us relegated!

True, there just seems to be a lot of people waiting to jump down each others' throats at the minute for expressing even the slightest hint of a negative opinion.

Perhaps some people see warning signs from Wassall's performance/approach so far that genuinely make them fear that a full season with him in charge COULD lead to us being in a relegation battle!? It's not unheard of for a team to go from play-off chasing to relegation-fighting - look at Wigan!

20 hours ago, Daveo said:
20 hours ago, Daveo said:

For me when you appoint a head coach or manager you need to give them at least a full season, nothing less.

Even if you feel he is having  damaging effects?  There are hints in what you and others have relayed to us that Mel believed this.  So one can imagine removing a negative influence to stop further deterioration and then carefully considering the next move.  Wassall may be a relative benign figure, or even one capable of setting a positive tone.  Therefore he may be preferable in the short term but not one to create the long-term conditions for success.

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

what 'policy' is this then?

If you think there is a policy, then you're another who pays no attention to football.

Cast your mind back to the history of the game.

Bjorn Otto Bragstad - bought but never played

Liam Dickenson - bought but never played

Dave Martin/Chris Maguire - bought but never played.

You're being deliberately problematic if you're insisting that the current couple of players bought in error are done so out of something more deliberate than the previous players, under previously owners and managers who didn't play!

Clubs make mistakes when signing players. Name me any team, any manager, and I will name a player that didn't play much.

Stop nit-picking and being overly critical of your own club for doing things that 90% of clubs do.

Show some loyalty!

I go to games, renew my season ticket and don't boo the players. But I am not a slave who cannot think for himself and have my own opinions.

You are confusing being loyal with being obsequious.

23 hours ago, Daveo said:

For me when you appoint a head coach or manager you need to give them at least a full season, nothing less. The decision to sack Clement was wrong in my opinion, 30 games isn't enough to come in and get the style of football you want to play across to the players, it takes time, especially when you add a £25m worth of faces into the dressing room with a Rookie head coach in there. Now I'm seeing Wassall out already and my head is all over the place, if 30 games wasn't enough for Clement how on can we be so quick to send Wassall packing?

I'm sat here tonight utterly deflated with the situation, the football wasn't great under Clement but I feel like it's getting even worse now, the solid defence, the one positive thing we could look back on Clements time is now baby poo, sloppy, leaky and....well....****. MK Dons, Wolves, QPR games have been woeful, the football we saw under McClaren seems like years ago, any ounce of optimism I have is being drained by the day having to listen to Wassall tell us how great we was, theres a huge negative black cloud over the club right now and I just can't see it shifting any time soon.

Fans are turning on each other, Twitter is pretty disgusting right now and accusations being thrown around on here and i must stress by a select few that members have been brainwashed, I've even been accused of being on Mel's propaganda payroll tonight by a long time member that I thought we got on well, just for removing posts trolling these members and trying to keep the topic on track which is a huge talking point right now, ruined by like I said a select few that want to use every thread as an opportunity have a pop at other members.

Maybe it's for the "bantz" I don't know but it's a huge insult to the members and mods here that have attended these meetings, ok some may have come out of the last day shall we say slightly more positive and enthusiastic than the rest but take the time to read what the rest are saying, no need to insult a group of guys for simply coming back and reporting what they have been told, not entirely sure what you wanted us to say, Mel told us this the lying ****, does he think we're mugs? 

It's depressing it really is and I think the only thing now that can lift this cloud, bring some positivity back is for the club to appoint a permanent head coach/manager, at a time when the club is asking fans to dig deep and renew their season tickets it's important that the club give us a reason, put us on that road to stability right now, it's unfair on those fans that have forked out a large sum of money to watch their team this season to see a head coach sacked after 30 games and we'll try this guy for now and see what happens, not good enough, if Wassall is the man, give him a contract now, I know that will scare a lot of people but it will put us on that road to stability now.

I have no idea who I would appoint, Rodgers, Moyes, Laudrup all seem like cloud cuckooland names, why on earth they would all drop to the Championship I'll never know, kinda worrying to me that fans think we could get these, just shows how far expectations have risen since McClaren took us to Wembley.

I totally get all the calls for an experienced manager, someone that has been around the block but I find it funny Clements lack of experience wasn't a major issue back in the summer, nor were all the signings at the time. Football's weird, footballers are weird, take McClaren for example, bags of experience but look at the mess he made of Forest, came to us and everything just clicked, now at Newcastle it's all gone tits up for him again.

We need to find that click, McClaren, Smith, Clough (Brian), good luck with that Mel, I don't envy you one bit, I struggle to keep a couple hundred members happy, 30,000+ must be a ******* nightmare!

But for the love of god, no more crazy spending in the summer, you can't go telling us slowly slowly catchy monkey again and then spend £25m in a few weeks.

tl;dr? I haven't a clue but that negative cloud needs lifting

I have read 15 pages, and 10 are still to go. But I will stick here.

I have been pretty consistent I think over the last few weeks and have expressed that PC deserved a full season. I accept the football was not pretty on the eye, but he was delivering points right up to the New Year. What happened to justify the chairman/owner wanting to 'involve himself' more in team affairs is still anyone's guess but our season was turned upside down after the Reading intervention. My view, for what worth, is that PC couldn't abide with the "Mel way" rather than the "Derby way" but this thread is not a PC/Mel matter.

Darren Wassall strikes me as a very likeable guy. I think too he is quite malleable or should that be "Meleable"? In my view however he is some distance from being capable to cope with this current situation. Not his fault. Bottom line I don't think he has the range of abilities to manage my football club.

Darren strikes me as the kind of guy you like to meet on your foreign holiday. You enjoy a few drinks and meals with him, but ultimately when you get back to the UK you think, nah I won't stay in touch. Overly nice, and far too tanned.

16 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

One thing you overlook is what MM has done outside of the first team.

I wouldn't call making our academy world class is treating the club as his personal plaything.

This won't be either popular or particularly easy to understand, but the plans for the academy showed the same excessive, well intentioned but slightly amateurish, arrogant, half-baked and ill considered thinking as much of the other decision making at the moment. It had all the hallmarks of a being a very personal project. An avoidable own goal. But now isn't the time or the place......

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

This won't be either popular or particularly easy to understand, but the plans for the academy showed the same excessive, well intentioned but slightly amateurish, arrogant, half-baked and ill considered thinking as much of the other decision making at the moment. It had all the hallmarks of a being a very personal project. An avoidable own goal. But now isn't the time or the place......

Not sure if you are being serious or not here. 

Would you like to expand?

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

For some, it's ALWAYS the time and the place.

If the owner does not want promotion then what is the point.

Why would he not want to get over £100,000.000 into the clubs coffers 

This team is NOT as good as the team that played in the game at Ipswich last season when we lost Eustace, that side would have pissed out of this league.

To say I am disappointed is the understatement of the decade, I am so mad I could spit, buying a club does NOTgive you the right to **** it up, sort yourself and the management out Mel and stop behaving like a prat.

Up the Rams.

31 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

If the owner does not want promotion then what is the point.

Oh. My. God. Are we really still here?. Are there really still people who believe this is what Mel thinks - when it is clearly NOT what he has said. Repeatedly.

I can't keep having the same arguments with people who just don't listen or read the facts. It's not about having different opinions - it's about ignoring the facts and making stuff up or perpetuating random conspiracy theories.

Sorry Ovis, this isn't meant as a personal attack on you but it's just the last straw. The club and everything connected to it at the moment (including this place) is toxic, poisonous & is making us all sick. I need some fresh air.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if you are being serious or not here. 

Would you like to expand?

Maybe over a pint sometime.

On 9 March 2016 at 00:01, Daveo said:

For me when you appoint a head coach or manager you need to give them at least a full season, nothing less. The decision to sack Clement was wrong in my opinion, 30 games isn't enough to come in and get the style of football you want to play across to the players, it takes time, especially when you add a £25m worth of faces into the dressing room with a Rookie head coach in there.

I'm not a huge fan of making those sort of changes during the season. For that reason i would not have sacked nigel clough after the forest game, nor BD when we did. Changing the manager during the season usually seems to invite turmoil. On the other hand I would have sacked Jewell and Phil Brown because we were already in turmoil. Jewell was all over the place mentally and  Phil Brown was totally clueless from day 1.

in the case of PC we were not in turmoil. And we gave a public commitment not to sack him this season. He was entitled to expect that we would honour that commitment and that he would get the necessary support.

The reasons given for the sacking are either not the real reasons, or are a very poor excuse for a very harsh decision. I agree with i-Ram that once Mel entered the dressing room to carpet Clement in front of the players, that it was the beginning of the end. We know that Mel tried to get schteve to resign before sacking him. I do wonder whether this action was intended to trigger PC into resigning. There doesn't seem to be any other logical explanation. at some point after the end of october's ringing endorsement of PC at the Fans forum, it seems that MM very quickly decided that PC had to go.

On 9 March 2016 at 00:01, Daveo said:

Now I'm seeing Wassall out already and my head is all over the place, if 30 games wasn't enough for Clement how on can we be so quick to send Wassall packing?

I'm sat here tonight utterly deflated with the situation, the football wasn't great under Clement but I feel like it's getting even worse now, the solid defence, the one positive thing we could look back on Clements time is now baby poo, sloppy, leaky and....well....****. MK Dons, Wolves, QPR games have been woeful, the football we saw under McClaren seems like years ago, any ounce of optimism I have is being drained by the day having to listen to Wassall tell us how great we was, theres a huge negative black cloud over the club right now and I just can't see it shifting any time soon.

DW is in a strange position. he is apparently a caretaker until the end of the season. But he's also under consideration for the job, and he's an advisor to Mel on the recruitment. Sort that lot out. 

As a consequence no-one seems to know what the plan is and where we are going. I think the hope was that performances would improve. The statements about promotion not being a priority were designed to lift the pressure and expectation and give DW an easy route into the job. But the performances have been poor; the results have been average; and DW has heaped pressure on himself by talking nonsense. If we were winning then the nonsense might not matter - but we're not. DW has shot himself in the foot and he has lost credibility as a result. Its not fatal to his chances but he needs to learn the lessons quickly. Forest is the crunch game. Defeat and his chances are getting slimmer. Victory and his chances are improved. 

Personally I don't think he is just some worthy assistant who happens to be helping out. I think he wanted the job. He seems to have manoeuvred himself into pole position. he must be aware that if this goes pear shaped then going back to the academy under another manager may not be an easy option. At the moment i think he could recover that role and go back to lick his wounds. I can't tell right now whether he still really wants the top job - or indeed whether he still fancies the academy job. Perhaps he is finding out that its not exactly a bed of roses at the top  if things aren't going according to plan. but Its also difficult to go back to a supporting role having had a taste of the top job. Even Terry westley had to finally admit that having had a taste of it, he subsequently wanted the job. the pressure will start to grow for DW to state what his intentions or ambitions are. he can't continue to fly under the radar. results haven't been good enough for Mel to appoint DW straight away, and they haven't been bad enough to call a halt.

So we drift towards Forest at home, and crunch time.

Archived