Wassall Out?

YorkshireRam

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

If you have money you must always be right,and the more money you have the cleverer you must be.

And especially in areas where you are have no expertise, where you will always make perfect decisions....because you are really rich.

2 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

Finally,(for now),the reason PC was sacked,putting it simply all the clubs in the top 8 have had similar bad patches as us,but they stuck with their managers.One blinked first and then panicked.

I think you expressed how I feel it went very well. Derby Way is an excuse. 

4 hours ago, Daveo said:

It feels good that we do have a real football fan at the head of the table, I would take that over some crazy businessman from wherever that has no understanding of English football changing the colour of our strip, wanting to change our name or a nutter that won't sign players over their birthdates. 

Never said he did?

Why Wassall? you would have to guess that Mel believes in him and feels he is the right man to carry this Derby way torch. I know people will throw the mate thing out there and it's a way for Mel to meddle but I don't buy it, why not appoint him in the summer if that was the case? already at the club, doubt it would have cost us as much as Clement.

Also the first time I saw it mentioned that Wassall was in Mel's ear during games was from RamNut, I doubt he was whispering sack Clement but maybe saying the right things regarding what changes he would make to go more attacking were hitting the right notes in Mel's head, this probably made it an easier decision to get rid of Clement knowing you have a bloke at the club that wants the same as you?  

I'll only reply to part of the post, and as I can't multi quote, you will have to bear with me :-)

There are plenty of examples of owners that have invested into their clubs that haven't changed the strip etc...you pick an extreme as an example which isn't a fair reflection.  If MM continues to employ and sack managers at the current rate he is going at, he is no better than the Chelsea or Man city owners.  Yes we could have got someone worse, but let's not forget he only took a bigger interest in the club when we were pushing for play offs, and in addition he does not intend to lose his money.

Now onto wassall, you say you don't buy the job for mates, but happily buy into the theory that he may have been whispering the right thing in Mel's ear? I wonder how many u21 managers sit next to the chairman during a match, and I wonder if it was your boss you would be telling him what he wants to hear rather than what you actually think. Why not give him the job in the summer, good question, however the more relevant one is why give it to him now, it wasn't his managerial experience, it wasn't his proven tactical mind, but according to MM because he was the biggest motivator at the club.  

Now if you went into work one day found out the CEO had been given the push, and the office supervisor, who was a family friend, had no  CEO experience, sat at the dinner table during lunch whispering sweet nothings into the owners ear had replaced him, and during his first few weeks started to implement some of the owners ideas that had previously been disregarded as not being right to take the club forward were suddenly being implemented. You may if you were a little bit suspicious, think that maybe, just maybe he was given the job because he was the best man to carry out the job.  Personally I would say he has been employed because the owner wants the job done his way, he can do that with someone who is a available to him who he trusts, who won't disagree that much with his ideas and is happy to promote the young office lads over the more experienced boys  even if they aren't yet good enough.

Maybe the real question is are we any better off replacing Clement with Wassall?

Has the team really got better?

Has the performances improved?

Is there really any improvement what so ever?

We have now had 3 coach's in 12mths, £25 million spent, this time last year we were 2nd with 66 pts, have we really improved in 12 mths?

Nope!

21 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'll only reply to part of the post, and as I can't multi quote, you will have to bear with me :-)

There are plenty of examples of owners that have invested into their clubs that haven't changed the strip etc...you pick an extreme as an example which isn't a fair reflection.  If MM continues to employ and sack managers at the current rate he is going at, he is no better than the Chelsea or Man city owners.  Yes we could have got someone worse, but let's not forget he only took a bigger interest in the club when we were pushing for play offs, and in addition he does not intend to lose his money.

Now onto wassall, you say you don't buy the job for mates, but happily buy into the theory that he may have been whispering the right thing in Mel's ear? I wonder how many u21 managers sit next to the chairman during a match, and I wonder if it was your boss you would be telling him what he wants to hear rather than what you actually think. Why not give him the job in the summer, good question, however the more relevant one is why give it to him now, it wasn't his managerial experience, it wasn't his proven tactical mind, but according to MM because he was the biggest motivator at the club.  

Now if you went into work one day found out the CEO had been given the push, and the office supervisor, who was a family friend, had no  CEO experience, sat at the dinner table during lunch whispering sweet nothings into the owners ear had replaced him, and during his first few weeks started to implement some of the owners ideas that had previously been disregarded as not being right to take the club forward were suddenly being implemented. You may if you were a little bit suspicious, think that maybe, just maybe he was given the job because he was the best man to carry out the job.  Personally I would say he has been employed because the owner wants the job done his way, he can do that with someone who is a available to him who he trusts, who won't disagree that much with his ideas and is happy to promote the young office lads over the more experienced boys  even if they aren't yet good enough.

They want the same playing philosophy to run through the first team to the kids, I don't see an issue with our academy director tasked with bringing youth players into the club sat watching the first team where we're looking to bring through, in fact it makes a lot of sense to me. 

You say I'm pulling an extreme example of owners fair enough I take that point but you can't compare the situation with an everyday job outside of football. 

Adkins at Ssausagehorpe went from physio to manager, I would say that is more nuts than what we have done, imagine the reaction if we promoted Neil Sullivan to manager

4 minutes ago, Daveo said:

They want the same playing philosophy to run through the first team to the kids, I don't see an issue with our academy director tasked with bringing youth players into the club sat watching the first team where we're looking to bring through, in fact it makes a lot of sense to me. 

You say I'm pulling an extreme example of owners fair enough I take that point but you can't compare the situation with an everyday job outside of football. 

Adkins at Ssausagehorpe went from physio to manager, I would say that is more nuts than what we have done, imagine the reaction if we promoted Neil Sullivan to manager

Fair enough, for me it just shows the owner wanting more influence into the playing areas and finding someone who will listen to him, as opposed to a manager who has told him to stay out of team affairs.

Adkins when he got promoted from physician still had more managerial experience than Wassall.

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Fair enough, for me it just shows the owner wanting more influence into the playing areas and finding someone who will listen to him, as opposed to a manager who has told him to stay out of team affairs.

Adkins when he got promoted from physician still had more managerial experience than Wassall.

Which goes back to why not appoint Wassall in the summer, why promote him to academy director just 3 months before appointing him interim manager?

Would have saved a few quid if that's what Mel wanted. Doesn't make any sense. 

Also at what stage are we to believe Mel started to meddle? When we were top of the league or during the run without a win? Would be convenient if it only started during the run.

Had Alan Brazil not started with the rumours on TalkSport I doubt any of this would be suggested now.

Kinda obvious how the rumours have came about, especially when you can see how easily what Mel has said can be twisted on here (not you personally) and the dressing room incident, he's not denied he wants us to play attractive and entertaining football, he's also told us he will never be the owner to sit back throwing money in with no interest.

All of a sudden Mel's picking the team and making the signings. I can see how people would think that but I'm struggling to get behind that idea tbh

13 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Which goes back to why not appoint Wassall in the summer, why promote him to academy director just 3 months before appointing him interim manager?

Would have saved a few quid if that's what Mel wanted. Doesn't make any sense. 

Also at what stage are we to believe Mel started to meddle? When we were top of the league or during the run without a win? Would be convenient if it only started during the run.

Had Alan Brazil not started with the rumours on TalkSport I doubt any of this would be suggested now.

Kinda obvious how the rumours have came about, especially when you can see how easily what Mel has said can be twisted on here (not you personally) and the dressing room incident, he's not denied he wants us to play attractive and entertaining football, he's also told us he will never be the owner to sit back throwing money in with no interest.

All of a sudden Mel's picking the team and making the signings. I can see how people would think that but I'm struggling to get behind that idea tbh

Is he picking the team, probably not, is he having a big influence over it though, whether that's through getting into Wassalls ear or setting these targets to implement certain players that the manager feels he has to conform to, then for me it's a yes.

Does it matter when he started to meddle? He said during your breakfast that he still doesn't regret doing it (I think), but what he didn't say was what clement thought about this and if this was the start of the breakdown of the relationship, the rumour was that he also cancelled a trip to Dubai, great motivation that is....

Why not appoint him in the summer, good question, Is it just that he thought he could have more influence over Clement than he actually did, or he thought he was able to keep his distance from afar but couldn't, he didn't think that Wassall was a big enough name to attract players, he wanted to give him some time to work on his post match interviews, could be lots of reasons but by the same token if he thinks he is good enough now why didn't he think so in the summer? What has he done in them 7 months to make Mel think he is now the answer ? 

18 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Is he picking the team, probably not, is he having a big influence over it though, whether that's through getting into Wassalls ear or setting these targets to implement certain players that the manager feels he has to conform to, then for me it's a yes.

Have to agree to disagree on this one I think

Does it matter when he started to meddle? He said during your breakfast that he still doesn't regret doing it (I think), but what he didn't say was what clement thought about this and if this was the start of the breakdown of the relationship, the rumour was that he also cancelled a trip to Dubai, great motivation that is....

I would say it does because the season went through 3 stages, poor start, top of the league, poor run of form without a win, the dressing room incident if that's what you are referring to again yeah I think he said he doesn't regret it but later gave me the message to give out

"I hear loud and clear many of your members want me to stay out of the dressing room (celebrations aside). Understood, I'll consider myself repreminanded, and ..... I promise I will not re-offend." 

I would find what Clement said but the DET site is playing up tonight, let's not forget we was on a poor run of performances leading up to Reading and the Dubai trip had to be cancelled for the Man Utd game.

Why not appoint him in the summer, good question, Is it just that he thought he could have more influence over Clement than he actually did, or he thought he was able to keep his distance from afar but couldn't, he didn't think that Wassall was a big enough name to attract players, he wanted to give him some time to work on his post match interviews, could be lots of reasons but by the same token if he thinks he is good enough now why didn't he think so in the summer? What has he done in them 7 months to make Mel think he is now the answer ? 

I honestly don't know....well I do have kind of a theory that I'm swaying towards but I'm conscious of not writing another long essay! to keep it brief, we wasn't expecting to sack Clement hence the Camara and Blackman signings, things got heated maybe during the review of how things are going, clear your desk go. Wassall being the best option to take over, nobody else lined up, take the time wait for the summer, possibly to help with FFP? (I'm not a finance guy), publicly back Wassall as interim with a chance of the job, be harsh not to if he does well. For me the reluctance to offer a full contract now says he isn't the long term plan but maybe I'm wrong.

Not as juicy as other theories but there you go

@Daveo we will have to agree to disagree, on most points.  Just to clear up my clement point about MM coming Into he dressing room, this was in reference to the private conversation about it, not the press statement given out :-)

Archived