Players not Fit Enough?

Ninos

Players 'not being fit enough' really must be the most regularly trotted-out load of rubbish when a new manager comes in. All clubs will concentrate on testing  fitness, and monitoring BMI, oxygen levels, heart rate levels, miles covered in training, etc. I can believe however that PC didn't want eg Hendrick bulking-up for vanity and so took weight machines out...thus irritating players and is just another gripe that surfaces when results don't go the right way. They looked fit enough until Boxing Day.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's probably a bit of truth to the fitness issue and I would think the style of play contributed , the way we used to play in matches ie fast movement ,, off the ball running and closing down on the ball produced fitter players naturaly in a match situation ,, we slowed right down under clement and tried to roll it round ,, maybe the style of play reduced fitness levels and in Spanish. Football that was ok but in the blood and guts championship we couldn't cope if sides got in our faces and out worked us ,,, just a thought

3 hours ago, Reithe glas said:

I think it refers to the phenomenon that occurs when your wife, girlfriend, partner, acquaintance, or sex worker is giving you a Bradley Johnson and the enormity of what's happening strikes them on the back of the throat causing them to "lollygag".

You can always tell when someone isn't, or never has been, married!

In other news Paul Clement has been blamed for Derby County's recent demise as he did not allow "Tubthumping' and 'Simply the Best' to be played in the changing room before a game.  Clement is said to have introduced house/electronica music into the pre-match conditioning routine, being something he picked up in his time in France. Daft Punk.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

In other news Paul Clement has been blamed for Derby County's recent demise as he did not allow "Tubthumping' and 'Simply the Best' to be played in the changing room before a game.  Clement is said to have introduced house/electronica music into the pre-match conditioning routine, being something he picked up in his time in France. Daft Punk.

This is the closest statement we have to Clement actually speaking about his sacking. 

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Harder, better, faster, stronger training methods and there'd be no lollygagging excuses.

Id of thought fitness training would be similar across the board but slightly different dependant on your position/ type of player you are and weaknesses. Id expect a target man & cb to be doing more weights & strength and wingers be doing more sprints

90% of the fitness training maybr being the same and the other 10% being on the type of player you are 

22 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

if you missed it, it came out in the Breakfast club. Mel had invested a pretty penny in some weight frames cos the players loved them. Someone, under Clement's control removed all but one of these, and put them in storage. This led to SEVEN senior players eventually being that concerned by their own condition, that they sought external fitness coaching/training with PTs and 3rd party Gyms.

Personally, I think this would lead to lack of belief in the manager and coaches and explains quite a bit to me.

Thanks Mostyn. Really interesting post. It seemed there had been some sort of fundamental disagreement when they let Clement go without having anyone lined up to replace him and stuff like this sheds light on why that might have happened. 

22 hours ago, cosmic said:

It's telling that under McClaren we always looked capable of wearing teams down and scoring in the "last 10 minutes of the 95" as he used to phrase it. We'd be all over teams by the latter stages of the game, and that's when you'd hear Ramage come out with his "something great is happening here at Derby County" line. Our strength was there to be seen. I don't think this season I've once felt confident of our quality and athleticism shining through late on in games. I just hope we've got enough in the tank to last the rest of this campaign without embarrassing ourselves. 

LOL

Archived