Players not Fit Enough?

Ninos

surprised there's been no thread on this but what on earth was Clement doing ? Wassall tells us that both Bryson and hendrick were subbed because they got tired, not for tactical reasons? Now we hear the whole team wasn't ran enough. At that level they need to be in fantastic shape so I'm glad they are addressing it but Rams fans and Mel should be rather angry when hearing this. This isn't under 8 football where all they do is train skills with no conditioning. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ninos said:

surprised there's been no thread on this but what on earth was Clement doing ? Wassall tells us that both Bryson and hendrick were subbed because they got tired, not for tactical reasons? Now we hear the whole team wasn't ran enough. At that level they need to be in fantastic shape so I'm glad they are addressing it but Rams fans and Mel should be rather angry when hearing this. This isn't under 8 football where all they do is train skills with no conditioning. 

This was covered in another thread, talking about the machines Clement had taken out the gym.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

This was covered in another thread, talking about the machines Clement had taken out the gym.

Okay thanks SRG never did see it - mods can move as they see fit - I just thought it was a pretty big deal in terms of recent developments. 

It's telling that under McClaren we always looked capable of wearing teams down and scoring in the "last 10 minutes of the 95" as he used to phrase it. We'd be all over teams by the latter stages of the game, and that's when you'd hear Ramage come out with his "something great is happening here at Derby County" line. Our strength was there to be seen. I don't think this season I've once felt confident of our quality and athleticism shining through late on in games. I just hope we've got enough in the tank to last the rest of this campaign without embarrassing ourselves. 

28 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Okay thanks SRG never did see it - mods can move as they see fit - I just thought it was a pretty big deal in terms of recent developments. 

if you missed it, it came out in the Breakfast club. Mel had invested a pretty penny in some weight frames cos the players loved them. Someone, under Clement's control removed all but one of these, and put them in storage. This led to SEVEN senior players eventually being that concerned by their own condition, that they sought external fitness coaching/training with PTs and 3rd party Gyms.

Personally, I think this would lead to lack of belief in the manager and coaches and explains quite a bit to me.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

if you missed it, it came out in the Breakfast club. Mel had invested a pretty penny in some weight frames cos the players loved them. Someone, under Clement's control removed all but one of these, and put them in storage. This led to SEVEN senior players eventually being that concerned by their own condition, that they sought external fitness coaching/training with PTs and 3rd party Gyms.

Personally, I think this would lead to lack of belief in the manager and coaches and explains quite a bit to me.

Your source for the above statement is one man I take it, not the seven concerned senior players?

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Your source for the above statement is one man I take it, not the seven concerned senior players?

oh yes, Mel found out about the 7 and was concerned. I know player(s) may have been referring to it on social media, but I don't have instagram etc.

To be fair, I was pleased Clement was sacked and believe he was lacking, however I don't quite buy what Wassall is saying.

Bryson has just returned from injury so I would expect him to be tired.

Hendrick, Christie and Keogh never seem to struggle to put in a good 90 minute shift in when they are playing for Ireland. 

I think he is giving us a nice little excuse for Saturday. 

Some of the stuff coming out about Clement has me concerned about my prediction he was wrongfully sacked, he sounds a bit petty some of the things he apparently did. You do need to create a positive and fun atmosphere, not too light but you do need the players happy and in good spirits, hiding the weights is something you'd do if you had a petty attitude. 

No wonder some of our players were breathing out of their a**** with 15-20 minutes to go. 

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

To be fair, I was pleased Clement was sacked and believe he was lacking, however I don't quite buy what Wassall is saying.

Bryson has just returned from injury so I would expect him to be tired.

Hendrick, Christie and Keogh never seem to struggle to put in a good 90 minute shift in when they are playing for Ireland. 

I think he is giving us a nice little excuse for Saturday. 

the last Ireland game was months back!! The fitness has steadily worsened since the start of the season.

I've not seen it mentioned, in the breakfast thread that 7 players were so concerned about fitness levels that they employed personal trainers to top up levels, only that Bent had?

Taking Bent out the equation, as he's been nowhere near the 1st team for the majority of the season, that leaves 6 individuals who've opted to supplement the conditioning the club provided?

I assume these 6 are also not 1st team regulars, as I see no evidence of half the team looking fitter than anyone else in the side?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

It's a huge deal, and a blooming disgrace.

Bent has had his personal trainer long before Clement,  he used to post pictures a lot. It has been noticeable the lack of fitness compared to the beggining of the season we were quick to close down opposition that effort has been lacking of late. I'd of guessed at over training if anything, quite shocking if true a man of his coaching calibre undertraining.

Clement prepared the players to play in La Liga - even making them take a siesta. Players in the Championship have far less skill, but they rely on speed, strength and endurance. That's why it's essential that our next manager actually knows this league and how to be successful in it. 

9 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Clement prepared the players to play in La Liga - even making them take a siesta. Players in the Championship have far less skill, but they rely on speed, strength and endurance. That's why it's essential that our next manager actually knows this league and how to be successful in it. 

Nothing wrong with a siesta, just not on a Saturday between 3-5, that's all.

Funny how nobody picked up upon fitness as a problem until now?

So lets get the list of reasons we're crap in order shall we:

1. Clement "apparently" hid some weight machines, presumably so they didn't all just work out in the gym and become slow and musclebound
  2. Clement shagged Martin's missus
  3. Grown men were fighting over an armband and got their knickers in a twist because someone different was wearing it each week
  4. Paul Ince got too involved. Even though he didn't. But it's an excuse anyway
  5. Mel Morris got too involved
  6. Kevin Phillips was rubbish
  7. We didn't play attacking football
  8. We didn't play the kids
  9. Clement locked Mel Morris out of the dressing room
  10. Players protested
  11. The fans were crap
  12. Nick Blackman
  13. Chris Martin's transfer request
  14. Lack of bacon for breakfast
  15. Clement gave them a bedtime

Phew... Fair to say Paul Clement is useless. He'll never work at the top level in any capacity.

Conspiracy and backstabbing. It's the Derby Way.

Archived