Players not Fit Enough?

Ninos

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Some of the stuff coming out about Clement has me concerned about my prediction he was wrongfully sacked, he sounds a bit petty some of the things he apparently did. You do need to create a positive and fun atmosphere, not too light but you do need the players happy and in good spirits, hiding the weights is something you'd do if you had a petty attitude. 

No wonder some of our players were breathing out of their a**** with 15-20 minutes to go. 

I would have thought that it was more diet related.

Anyone who has played knows that you don't really even touch a ball until you do your warmups and your conditioning. It must be actually far worse than we know for Wassall to come out and actually say that. I wonder if thats why it was mentioned that several players ASKED to play for the U21s, presumably another opportunity to get a run about. 

The lack of fitness also would explain what I see every time I go, which is that there is simply no movement off the ball in the attacking third. A player may make one run but then he packs up. I feel bad actually for criticising Butterfield and Hendrick especially on here for appearing lazy, when in fact they are just not match fit. These days we just assume they are ready to play.

One of Hughes' tweets during the week following his ACL injury was this. At the time, I barely gave it much thought; was just good to hear an update from him despite feeling down about how long he was going to be out for.

But I remember wondering to myself "wait I know he's probably just joking but what does he mean by 'locate the gym now'?? was he not using the gym beforehand?"

Fast forward to now- mystery solved, Clement was hiding the gym stuff, clearly explains why Hughes couldn't find it!  :lol:

5 minutes ago, rhysbeck said:

One of Hughes' tweets during the week following his ACL injury was this. At the time, I barely gave it much thought; was just good to hear an update from him despite feeling down about how long he was going to be out for.

But I remember wondering to myself "wait I know he's probably just joking but what does he mean by 'locate the gym now'?? was he not using the gym beforehand?"

Fast forward to now- mystery solved, Clement was hiding the gym stuff, clearly explains why Hughes couldn't find it!  :lol:

That tweet is a bit cryptic, and you could be right.  I took it to mean he's putting on some muscle ... but Will H has always run his arse off for 90 minutes so Im not sure we'd ever notice a difference in his fitness level. 

Thank christ Clement has gone...

Everyone's wives and children can sleep easy in their beds..Im waiting for the latest world news to see what else a guy can get blamed for without having the option of giving his side of whatever the story is....

I mean heaven forbid he was ever let loose on any players at PSG, Chelsea or Real Madrid !!!

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

That tweet is a bit cryptic, and you could be right.  I took it to mean he's putting on some muscle ... but Will H has always run his arse off for 90 minutes so Im not sure we'd ever notice a difference in his fitness level. 

On a related note, this tweet (below) actually stood out to me more than anything else. Again, it was one of those tweets I simply read "in passing" at the time, didn't think anything of it. It was from one of the younger Derby staff members who also worked in the strength/conditioning dpmt at the time:

nv0aHar.png

Make me wonder, if there were indeed any changes by Clement, how early on in the season did it happen? Have the players been doing workouts on their own/3rd party as far back as July? Very confusing. At least by the sound of it Steve Haines is in charge now and will hopefully see the fitness side of things back on track!

*edit just to include what the fitness coach above was in charge of:

(says until June so I assume he moved on once Clement arrived)

QJUMJ73.png

Just read @Mostyn6 comment back, think this is all getting confused. Correct me if I'm wrong Clement removed weight training equipment? This wouldn't have an effect on fitness, if he felt players were wasting time sculpting bodies instead of fitness training it's not as bad as it sounds. So maybe the lack of match fitness was overtraining on running drills etc?

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

Just read @Mostyn6 comment back, think this is all getting confused. Correct me if I'm wrong Clement removed weight training equipment? This wouldn't have an effect on fitness, if he felt players were wasting time sculpting bodies instead of fitness training it's not as bad as it sounds. So maybe the lack of match fitness was overtraining on running drills etc?

That's what I thought too- for me this is what explained Clement bringing in Halabi for. I can't find where I read it but apparently Halabi's known for his unique fitness approaches, such as using the same kind of sand pit that they have at Real Madrid (so maybe this helps in different ways with muscle and balance instead of weights with less injury risk?). Maybe the players just didnt warm to Halabi's methods and it ended up being one more little factor that contributed to Clement not seeing eye to eye with the players

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

2 hours ago, rhysbeck said:

That's what I thought too- for me this is what explained Clement bringing in Halabi for. I can't find where I read it but apparently Halabi's known for his unique fitness approaches, such as using the same kind of sand pit that they have at Real Madrid (so maybe this helps in different ways with muscle and balance instead of weights with less injury risk?). Maybe the players just didnt warm to Halabi's methods and it ended up being one more little factor that contributed to Clement not seeing eye to eye with the players

Wasnt the removal of gym equipment due to the fact that Mac's mate Schoenmaker is known for doing a lot of gym work and thus players bulk up a lot and get quiet weighty. Yes its muscle mass but its not always great to be a musclebound hulk when you want to be tricky fast players...case in point...The Best - Akinfenwa.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-hire-mr-muscle-9534013

Sorry just realized I was mistaken about Karl Halabi, apparently it was Dr. Bryan English

http://www.sportsmax.tv/?q=articles/2015/10/26/jamaica-football-dawkins-turns-sandpit-ease-injury-woes

"Jamaica international Simon Dawkins continues to struggle with fitness issues but has employed a revolutionary treatment with the use of a sandpit.

The player’s club Derby County has invested heavily in training facilities in recent months, with an oversized sandpit added at the Moor Farm training complex.

The sandpit is designed to utilize and strengthen muscles, which would normally be active during standard training sessions on training pitches.

The players at the club have so far been hesitant about using the pit, but Dawkins has been positive about its effects so far.

The Sandpit was implemented following the advice of Dr Bryan English, who used it at both Chelsea and Middlesbrough."

6 hours ago, philmycock said:

Lollygag! That's a new word for me, is it from a Jimmy Saville dictionary?

I think it refers to the phenomenon that occurs when your wife, girlfriend, partner, acquaintance, or sex worker is giving you a Bradley Johnson and the enormity of what's happening strikes them on the back of the throat causing them to "lollygag".

Archived