Clement gone.

Rev

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Duracell said:

I love people's idea of what a CEO does. He faces the media when something happens, or at weekends, and might pose for photographs. The rest of the time he is just sitting at his desk staring blankly at Microsoft Outlook.

If Sam Rush doesn't do interviews anymore, than means he does absolutely nothing. Nothing at all. All week. His job involved literally one thing, and he doesn't even do that anymore.

2 things - but he doesn't individually sign all of the season ticket renewal letters anymore either.

Good interview by Mel Morris , clear that he sees what the majority of fans seen at games this season , a decline in Derby as a footballing side and a manager pretty happy as long as we don't ever play a pass that is not 100% sure to go to a Derby player, PC turned out to be the wrong man for the job Mel Morris has accepted that and got rid for all the right reasons and explained those reasons,, end of for me ,, happy with that

after thinking about this decision, at first I thought it was bonkers very unfair and abit of a joke, but to be honest have we improved? For me not really as much as id back any manager here. I don't see much improvement, the defensive side has been better but we have shackell now id expect that, the football has slowed down movement is not their, the pride of wearing the shirt isn't their, interesting that the pictures of the training session today looked like they were having bonding sessions also they pretty happy, maybe it was a good decision, only time will tell   

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He said the exact opposite.

He has said a lot of things. Like Clement would still be here next season. That Clement could be our Ferguson.

Just because he say's promotion isn't his target doesn't mean it isn't. Otherwise he really only needed to sign Carson, Shackell & Butterfield. Not £25m. For him its a £25m gamble with a view of picking up at least £99m in the Prem.

I don't like hasty decisions and would have stuck with PC until the end of the season at least, but listening to MM he has actually stuck to what he said following PC's appointment. Last 2 seasons .. Play offs and just missed playoffs. Brief was to see "improvement" .. The reality is that after 40 games we are exactly where we started and have spent 20 odd million. .. No improvement. Perhaps 40 games isnt enough to embed yourself and create a philosophy but in business terms we have had 40 accounting periods and the figures haven't changed. I liked PC he was frank, honest and didn't do BS clichees. But with the players we have then we should be more dominant, more exciting and just plain better to watch than we are. 

So, we were supposed to be the championship's Arsenal but Clement was determined to make us the championship's Chelsea?

Just seems weird with the situation the way it is.

things like rotating a big squad to get through a long season vs not knowing our best 11?

"signing off on every player" could be strongly backing the manager or could be putting him in a position of "it's ready go, sign here or tell us why we're better without him" all the time (or a bit of both).

4 hours ago, 86 points said:

I'm saying I think it's massively unlikely fella.  Is that not clear from my post?

U said it won't be Rodgers like you know for sure. Atm you're no better off than the rest of us just giving our opinions and speculating. Careful u don't topple off that high horse feller :ph34r:

Can someone enlighten me as to what 'the Derby way' is? It's the height of pretentiousness in my eyes. We have ideas way above our station and are pretending to be something we are not even close to being. We are not Arsenal. We are not Manchester United. We are not Liverpool. We are a Championship club. We haven't had the stability or success to coin such a phrase. Are we a club to aspire to?

Fawaz: 'Yes, let's do it the Derby way! Let's play exciting, attacking football.'

Dougie: '...and get promoted and take the Premier League by storm?'

Fawaz: 'Good heavens, no. Let's play exciting, attacking football, remain in the Championship and win 46 consecutive LG Performance of the Week awards. Much better.'

I have watched Derby for over 20 years and for every manager that has played exciting, attacking football, there are at least twice as many who have not even come close. In my lifetime, only Jim Smith has had us playing a SUCCESSFUL brand of exciting, attacking football and even that only lasted for four seasons.

So where does this Derby way come from? Yes, we played good football under McClaren for two seasons. But at the end of the day, it wasn't so groundbreaking that we should base our whole long-term future on what was ultimately a way of playing that resulted in us still playing Championship football in the seasons that followed. Does the Derby way actually work?

It can't be all about performance and nothing to do with results. You have to marry the two. The philosophy can't be so rigid and you have to show flexibility and patience to achieve success, neither of which seem evident.

Sacking Clement may well prove to be the right choice. But let's not dress it up as him being at odds with the Derby way. This is Mel's way. In his eyes, he never makes a mistake and never does anything regrettable. He's beyond reproach. At least the Americans were humble enough to look back and hold their hands up to their mistakes and to their credit, they tried to learn from them.

To be honest, this whole sorry episode, by which I mean Clement's tenure, just makes me lose trust and faith in the people running the club currently. That's not to say that I had very much in the first place. I've never warmed to Sam Rush and Mel Morris just strikes me as a megalomaniac, plain and simple. Their words mean nothing, when their actions hold far greater significance.

There was an inevitability about Clement's sacking. Sudden and swift as it was, the writing had been on the wall because we could all see that something was going to give sooner or later. He was only their man while he was winning. Why should we think the next man's fate will be any different?

To be honest, any manager in the mould that we are looking for - Howe, Rodgers, Monk etc. - will only hear alarm bells with every Mel Morris soundbite and steer well clear.

We might yet get promoted under the Morris regime. But I don't see us becoming a Swansea, Southampton, Leicester or a Stoke. The way Morris is running the club appears suffocating and stifling and not one conducive to sustained success. I wish Mr. Wassall good luck and I hope he has his oxygen mask ready. :lol:

Earlier in the season we kick start a decent points run with a victory away to Preston ,fast forward later in the season we draw at home to them and can't even muster a shot on target,, we go to Birmingham away and draw but deserve the win? Fast forward they come to our home later in the season and rip us a new one,,,,, improvement , no no no no ,,, we were going backwards , thank god meals got rid before it went even further down hill

Just now, archied said:

Earlier in the season we kick start a decent points run with a victory away to Preston ,fast forward later in the season we draw at home to them and can't even muster a shot on target,, we go to Birmingham away and draw but deserve the win? Fast forward they come to our home later in the season and rip us a new one,,,,, improvement , no no no no ,,, we were going backwards , thank god meals got rid before it went even further down hill

Might go even further down hill now. 

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Can someone enlighten me as to what 'the Derby way' is? It's the height of pretentiousness in my eyes. We have ideas way above our station and are pretending to be something we are not even close to being. We are not Arsenal. We are not Manchester United. We are not Liverpool. We are a Championship club. We haven't had the stability or success to coin such a phrase. Are we a club to aspire to?

Fawaz: 'Yes, let's do it the Derby way! Let's play exciting, attacking football.'

Dougie: '...and get promoted and take the Premier League by storm?'

Fawaz: 'Good heavens, no. Let's play exciting, attacking football, remain in the Championship and win 46 consecutive LG Performance of the Week awards. Much better.'

I have watched Derby for over 20 years and for every manager that has played exciting, attacking football, there are at least twice as many who have not even come close. In my lifetime, only Jim Smith has had us playing a SUCCESSFUL brand of exciting, attacking football and even that only lasted for four seasons.

So where does this Derby way come from? Yes, we played good football under McClaren for two seasons. But at the end of the day, it wasn't so groundbreaking that we should base our whole long-term future on what was ultimately a way of playing that resulted in us still playing Championship football in the seasons that followed. Does the Derby way actually work?

It can't be all about performance and nothing to do with results. You have to marry the two. The philosophy can't be so rigid and you have to show flexibility and patience to achieve success, neither of which seem evident.

Sacking Clement may well prove to be the right choice. But let's not dress it up as him being at odds with the Derby way. This is Mel's way. In his eyes, he never makes a mistake and never does anything regrettable. He's beyond reproach. At least the Americans were humble enough to look back and hold their hands up to their mistakes and to their credit, they tried to learn from them.

To be honest, this whole sorry episode, by which I mean Clement's tenure, just makes me lose trust and faith in the people running the club currently. That's not to say that I had very much in the first place. I've never warmed to Sam Rush and Mel Morris just strikes me as a megalomaniac, plain and simple. Their words mean nothing, when their actions hold far greater significance.

There was an inevitability about Clement's sacking. Sudden and swift as it was, the writing had been on the wall because we could all see that something was going to give sooner or later. He was only their man while he was winning. Why should we think the next man's fate will be any different?

To be honest, any manager in the mould that we are looking for - Howe, Rodgers, Monk etc. - will only hear alarm bells with every Mel Morris soundbite and steer well clear.

We might yet get promoted under the Morris regime. But I don't see us becoming a Swansea, Southampton, Leicester or a Stoke. The way Morris is running the club appears suffocating and stifling and not one conducive to sustained success. I wish Mr. Wassall good luck and I hope he has his oxygen mask ready. :lol:

You're not happy then?

Archived