Derby v Reading

Boycie

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern last night was the same one as when we lost against Florist. It was obvious to every Derby County fan that it was not working, even after ten minutes. We changed it at half time but it did not work.

I advocated that we have 433 with Hendrick instead of Thorne. Having seen Reading's style of play I am not sure that it would have won us the game. Too many players not playing well at the moment. A fortuitous point.

Here is a list of players who must wonder what the future holds for them at the Rams:-

Shotton, Pearce,

Grant, Weimann, Bryson, Hendrick, Buxton, Russell,

Martin

Warnock,. Baird

I will leave you to decide why they are in four groups.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Perhaps 4-2-3-1 would work better with Thorne and Baird - I know Baird isn't the level of some of the others but he can play as a DM, which it seems only he and Thorne at the club can do.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then I'm not too concerned who the '2' are (though I'd be tempted to go with Thorne and Hanson if both are fit and available). Of greater importance is who the '4' further forward are because last night we had 4 players who are attackers and failed utterly to take on board any midfield duties.

Having had a re-think, I would go Grant, same defence, Thorne, Hanson, Butterfield, Ince, Bent & give Camara a go.

Seems to me PC is trying to find different systems and different ways to win. Guilty of trying to be too smart? Too many options? People saying we would have won that game with Thorne playing but I think recently he has dropped off. The opposition know, you stop Thorne and you pressurise Martin, we struggle.

My concern at the moment is that Martin's touch seems to have gone and with it, that faith in playing it into him and making the runs beyond. When on form, you know Martin will hold the ball and find another pass, that is not happening currently. Completely understand PC trying to take away the reliance on Martin but I do wonder if that initially isn't to the teams detriment. To try and win promotion building a system around one player is short sighted.

3 hours ago, rusgb said:

A really poor and lacklustre display from the team and all individuals, let's hope it was a one-off.  My ratings:

Grant - 5 - Must have been at fault for a number of the communication breakdowns at the back. Needs to lead from there.

Christie - 6 - Has gone from 'two left feet' to 'two great feet' and puts the effort in.

Keogh - 5 - Lots of passes to Shackell as always, doesn't really help us build.

Shackell - 5 - Lots of passes to Keogh as always, doesn't really help us build.

Warnock - 5 - Soooo left footed it hurts, an occasional inside pass with the right please!

Butterfield - 5 - Looked dazed and confused at times.

Johnson - 4 - Sat far to deep to add anything.

Blackman - 6 - Showed some decent touches and the potential to link-up well.

Ince - 5 - Absent, as so often this season, needs to find a position which works for him and us.

Russell - 6 - Energy and enthusiasm, but poor first/last touch too often.

Martin - 4 - By far his worst game. Fell over lots, moaned, looked slow and jaded.

Subs:

Hendrick - 6 - Touch and influence is increasing the more he has to battle for a place.

Camara - 5 - Showed pace but failed to add anything.

If this is our worst performance of the season (& I think it will be) we will probably look back and think we were lucky to get the point.  Let's hope this is not another post-Christmas fade-out from the Rams.  We have seen enough this season to believe Saturday will be significantly better.

Two questions for you

1. What evidence have you got or on what basis do you say that Grant MUST have been at fault for a number of communication breakdowns at the back and who was to blame for the remainder?

2. Keogh 5??? Did you actually go to the game?

3 hours ago, rusgb said:

A really poor and lacklustre display from the team and all individuals, let's hope it was a one-off.  My ratings:

Grant - 5 - Must have been at fault for a number of the communication breakdowns at the back. Needs to lead from there.

Christie - 6 - Has gone from 'two left feet' to 'two great feet' and puts the effort in.

Keogh - 5 - Lots of passes to Shackell as always, doesn't really help us build.

Shackell - 5 - Lots of passes to Keogh as always, doesn't really help us build.

Warnock - 5 - Soooo left footed it hurts, an occasional inside pass with the right please!

Butterfield - 5 - Looked dazed and confused at times.

Johnson - 4 - Sat far to deep to add anything.

Blackman - 6 - Showed some decent touches and the potential to link-up well.

Ince - 5 - Absent, as so often this season, needs to find a position which works for him and us.

Russell - 6 - Energy and enthusiasm, but poor first/last touch too often.

Martin - 4 - By far his worst game. Fell over lots, moaned, looked slow and jaded.

Subs:

Hendrick - 6 - Touch and influence is increasing the more he has to battle for a place.

Camara - 5 - Showed pace but failed to add anything.

If this is our worst performance of the season (& I think it will be) we will probably look back and think we were lucky to get the point.  Let's hope this is not another post-Christmas fade-out from the Rams.  We have seen enough this season to believe Saturday will be significantly better.

I started to get angry about the 5's for the likes of Grant, Shackell, Keogh and Warnock but then realised that if you though Johnny Russell played better than any of them, never mind all of them, then you are new to the game.

Slept on it a bit. Still very annoyed.

One thing I recall is conceding off our free kick on the half way line. Keogh rushed forward, but Shackell screamed and told him not too, which was ignored. Short FK was taken, possession lost, they broke and scored. Not blaming Keogh at all, but why send big men forward if we're going to take it short? Not just on this instance, but it's happened a lot this season (ps I thought Keogh was probably our best player last night). Why Johnson ducked for the goal I really don't know, reminded me of goals we conceded under mcclaren 

Martin needs dropping. Can't stay like this. He's still our best forward and arguably our best player, but something needs to chance. 

Noticed yet again that every time Reading had a corner we brought everyone back so if and when the ball is cleared, it gets put straight back into our box.

Ince is highly unlikely to offer anything defensively in this situation so why not leave him close to the half way line. This at least gives us a chance of an out ball and may also pull back one additional opposition player from the danger area?

7 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Slept on it a bit. Still very annoyed.

One thing I recall is conceding off our free kick on the half way line. Keogh rushed forward, but Shackell screamed and told him not too, which was ignored. Short FK was taken, possession lost, they broke and scored. Not blaming Keogh at all, but why send big men forward if we're going to take it short? Not just on this instance, but it's happened a lot this season (ps I thought Keogh was probably our best player last night). Why Johnson ducked for the goal I really don't know, reminded me of goals we conceded under mcclaren 

Martin needs dropping. Can't stay like this. He's still our best forward and arguably our best player, but something needs to chance. 

Blimey NSR - you've been asleep a long time

2 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I started to get angry about the 5's for the likes of Grant, Shackell, Keogh and Warnock but then realised that if you though Johnny Russell played better than any of them, never mind all of them, then you are new to the game.

Bear in mind that 5 is half way to 10. So average. Middle of the road. Keogh has been immense this season. If you really think they were all playing above average then I'm afraid we must have differences. I'm not new to the game by any measure. Just being realistic. 6 or 7 would be playing well, 8 or 9 amazing. 10 hardly ever happens. 

I'm a Derby fan and would like to think we performed better but as a collective I think 5 overall would be generous. We have played much better and lost. 

23 minutes ago, Tombo said:

There was too much to say to not write about this. Return of the Blog.

Actually, I don't like the connotations of Ewoks in that. The Blog Awakens.

http://aramseyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/derby-county-vs-reading.html

You're getting good at those match reports Tombo.

Being picky, I'd have linked our saved chance to the corner and goal more directly, and suggest that Grant superbly tipped the shot onto the post rather than fortunately, but an accurate and readable effort nonetheless. Good work.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You're getting good at those match reports Tombo.

Being picky, I'd have linked our saved chance to the corner and goal more directly, and suggest that Grant superbly tipped the shot onto the post rather than fortunately, but an accurate and readable effort nonetheless. Good work.

I see what you mean, points taken. Thanks mate :)

As bad as the players were last night I feel that Clement got it all wrong. The players had no idea what they were doing in that formation and the subs were ineffectual. Almost everytime Clement has 'tinkered' with the team it hasn't ended brilliantly. I.e. Brighton, boro, Leeds away.

The formation last night wasn't working and he made it even worse by going to a flat 4-4-2 we might as well have all gone home once Blackman had gone up front we wouldn't have scored until February.

4-3-3 suits us down to the ground just it for gods sake man.

18 hours ago, Papahet said:

Readings goal should have been perverted, Johnson and Russell both in no mans land - Williams leaps in-between them, whereas Johnny just stand there like a tit. Absolutely no effort to stop that goal from either of the two.

Can they head a ball?

Now this has gotten all sorts of images flashing. 

Did you have anything specific in mind? Maybe brad and Johnny couldn't jump owing to their heavy leather bondage pants ☺

Archived