Sky banned from Elland Road

YouRams

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Yep. Everything wrong with football is caused by the likes of Sky. What are you even talking about. Sky pay good money to show football matches. Us fans pay to watch it and like to watch it. Where's the big issue. Everything wrong with modern football comes from the clubs, owners, agents and greedy players. 

The financial issues have not been caused by Sky. **** sake. 

The issue people have with sky largely stems from rearranged fixtures. It particularly hits fans hardest when long-distance away games are rescheduled from a weekend to a Thursday/Friday night for example, and hence can't make it anymore due to work.

You may feel that's a fair price to pay for the increased revenue generated from sky, but personally I don't like seeing honest fans having their beloved team made unavailable to them.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Srg said:

According to Yorkshire Evening Post, Sky are saying this is an issue between the football league and Leeds, not them. But aren't commenting further. 

there will be something in the terms about fixtures close together etc.. Id have thought. Leeds only home game in the Holiday period on Sky will seriously hit ticket revenues.

3 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

The issue people have with sky largely stems from rearranged fixtures. It particularly hits fans hardest when long-distance away games are rescheduled from a weekend to a Thursday/Friday night for example, and hence can't make it anymore due to work.

You may feel that's a fair price to pay for the increased revenue generated from sky, but personally I don't like seeing honest fans having their beloved team made unavailable to them.

What like tonight 

3 minutes ago, mozza said:

yea , but why pick our game to make a stand , Leeds really do hate us ..

they've picked our game because there is likely to be a far bigger TV audience to see the mighty Rams ;) - they could show a film of some goldfish instead of their other fixtures and no one would notice (or care) - run-down club in a ramshackle ground living on their past glories (remind you of anyone just down the road?)

Although Sky are not commenting at the moment I imagine there would be a hefty breach of contract claim against the FL if they don't get to show the game. Sky have advertising commitments don't forget as well as customers who have paid to see this game who may well claim against Sky.

Pardon the pun but this may well turn out to be a massive own goal by Leeds.

I understand that Sky are no longer going to be attempting to show tonight's game - instead, they are giving everyone a 1-day pass to Sky Movies and showing a special commemorative screening of A River Runs Through It.

If Cellino is bothered by attendances, instead of blocking Sky why not lower ticket prices, £38 for a Tuesday night game on Sky is ridiculous. £20 a ticket, pocket the £100k from Sky, everybody is a winner.

Sorry but he hasn't got a leg to stand on with the clubs current ticket prices. 

19 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Yep. Everything wrong with football is caused by the likes of Sky. What are you even talking about. Sky pay good money to show football matches. Us fans pay to watch it and like to watch it. Where's the big issue. Everything wrong with modern football comes from the clubs, owners, agents and greedy players. 

The financial issues have not been caused by Sky. **** sake. 

^^^this^^^^

All players should negotiate their own contracts. It'd be interesting how many then rate themselves in the 200k a week class when face to face with the person who will be paying it. 

Nowt wrong with the sky money btw. But after 20 years of it we still shouldn't be operating games at grass roots level with only 1 official on the park, grass 100mm long with no showering/changing facility to use afterwards. 

That is the real disgrace. Relying on lottery grants etc for works/schemes related to the game governed by the same organistion that signs multi billion £££ deals at the other end of the spectrum.

Stinks like the fall of Rome.

12 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

You and others are baffled by the resentment towards sky, from fans, considering the revenue they generate clubs on a yearly basis.

I'm giving you one perfectly good example. 

Are you resentful of TV Football and players better wages then. 

I would have more sympathy for Cellino's case if he had informed everyone of his stance as soon as the fixture was altered. Sky have made plans and incurred costs, fans have made plans and so have neutral viewers.

It's alright making a stance but this is all about him and not the fans.

15 minutes ago, Daveo said:

If Cellino is bothered by attendances, instead of blocking Sky why not lower ticket prices, £38 for a Tuesday night game on Sky is ridiculous. £20 a ticket, pocket the £100k from Sky, everybody is a winner.

Sorry but he hasn't got a leg to stand on with the clubs current ticket prices. 

Not to mention travel costs whichever day the match is played. 

Football is a better product because of Sky and millions subscribe for the Footy. 

27 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I suspect that leagally there is a big difference between 'shall inform the clubs of the relevant terms of all such contracts' and letting them see the actual contract - and I suspect the relevant terms in this case are simply that Sky have the right to determine which games are shown live, are able to re-arrange fixtures to suit their TV schedules and that clubs have to comply - I doubt that Leeds have a leg to stand on if it all gets legal....

so someone negotiates a contract that you are bound by but you have no right to see the contract?

Archived