Sky banned from Elland Road

YouRams

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mike93rh said:

The issue people have with sky largely stems from rearranged fixtures. It particularly hits fans hardest when long-distance away games are rescheduled from a weekend to a Thursday/Friday night for example, and hence can't make it anymore due to work.

You may feel that's a fair price to pay for the increased revenue generated from sky, but personally I don't like seeing honest fans having their beloved team made unavailable to them.

It's a small price to pay but the person I replied said:

''There are more financial issues in football today and most of it is the result of selling the soul of it to sky.''

Such a dire position. If someone gives you £10 is it their fault if you go buy some dodgy laced drugs and end up in hospital. No. Sky isn't the problem. It's the stakeholders I listed. 

54 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

^^^this^^^^

All players should negotiate their own contracts. It'd be interesting how many then rate themselves in the 200k a week class when face to face with the person who will be paying it. 

Nowt wrong with the sky money btw. But after 20 years of it we still shouldn't be operating games at grass roots level with only 1 official on the park, grass 100mm long with no showering/changing facility to use afterwards. 

That is the real disgrace. Relying on lottery grants etc for works/schemes related to the game governed by the same organistion that signs multi billion £££ deals at the other end of the spectrum.

Stinks like the fall of Rome.

Sky don't have a say on how it's distributed. But next season we will be seeing a significant increase in spending on grassroots...thanks to Sky. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/26/premier-league-richard-scudamore-sky-deal

14 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

So your actual point is that televising games drives down attendances, and this is a good thing? Sure, televising games probably brings in more money than a few extra thousand fans - but having better supported football matches is more sustainable than relying on TV contracts, which themselves are highly dependent on how well you are performing in the league. 

Of course TV promotes the game, you're completely ignoring my perfectly valid point however, and that is how frustrating rearranged fixtures are proving for many fans every single year. 

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea. 

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

I don't get you wrong I know you don't pay for TV footy and that's your prerogative .

Footy on the park would not be of any viewing interest either if players couldn't aspire to greater heights and be seen on TV playing for the best clubs.

Look at snooker for instance and how that is going down hill after less TV coverage .

I thought that you thought I was suggesting that Sky football should be scrapped. 

I love football on TV.  But not enough to pay those prices when I can watch it other ways. I find the silliness around kick off times annoying. No need for it.

As for ticket prices. I don't really moan about them much. They would be lower if people stopped paying them. It's people driving prices up. Can't moan at a supply and demand market. 

I know that Sky will have the last laugh over Leeds. Long gone are the days tv serving football. They run it now. They bought it. 

Leeds will get more trouble from this than QPR got for FFP. 

1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

Sky don't have a say on how it's distributed. But next season we will be seeing a significant increase in spending on grassroots...thanks to Sky. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/26/premier-league-richard-scudamore-sky-deal

Glad the living wage will be paid....  About time people in football are being paid this.... Just hope we get to the stage where every person in this country gets paid the same... ;)

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Glad the living wage will be paid....  About time people in football are being paid this.... Just hope we get to the stage where every person in this country gets paid the same... ;)

This by the way was announced before the international deals started coming in. They are on track to also double in value. 

10 minutes ago, davenportram said:

id say SKY would be hard pushed to set up now. They've about 6 hours until the tutnstiles open and they cant be laying cables with the ground filling

Yep! There's a reason why they arrive 24 hours before!

FL clubs - especially Championship ones - should have pre-empted the disruption, resentment, inconvenience to (match-going) football fans on the whole issue, by negotiating a maximum-exposure clause, such that (for instance) a club won't have more than 10 fixtures per season moved for TV purposes.

Regardless of attractiveness of fixture or the 'bigger' promotion-challenging clubs being heavily featured, such a clause would have evened out the fixture disruption and inconvenience/disappointment for fans where games are too frequently moved at their club.

Wishful thinking, I know, but this conflict might have been foreseen by FL & Sky and accommodated accordingly?

It will be interesting to see how (if) this is resolved.

Cellino is a chump in this case, due to the short time-scale and posturing, ill-thought waffle he's inflicted on the organisations, fans and broadcasting logistics - and a total hypocrite regarding his own club's ticket-pricing.

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

This by the way was announced before the international deals started coming in. They are on track to also double in value. 

The problem I've got with all theses deals is the naivety of it all...

Weve had millions coming in on previous deals... Yet grassroots money hasn't filtered down as much before....

Only one place in Derby that's improved and that's the Racecourse... 

Grassroots is on its backside, especially adult football.

Im hoping it will filter through, but judging by previous deals. I ain't holding my breath

Archived