Star Wars

Day

I saw Star Wars over New Year.

Where did the plot come from?. By that I mean was it conceived by George Lucas ages ago or more recently by Disney committee?.

I enjoyed the film and will no doubt watch it several more times but the endless re-hashing of A New Hope plot threads, locations and characters was getting a bit much. I remember rolling my eyes when the graphic comparison of the Death Star vs Star Killer was brought up.

It all just looked to me like Disney bean-counters had decided they needed to play it safe and just ensure the film made enough cash to pay for the next 2 sequels - when hopefully they can branch out a lot more.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it and I liked it more than I thought I would. I think they did an excellent job with casting with strong performances from all the new leads. Rey is most definitely a Mary Sue though.

Spoiler

It took Luke two films before he learned how to wield the force effectively, yet Rey beats Kylo Ren (a guy trained as a Jedi from a young age and the protege of a powerful Sith) in a light sabre battle, resists his mind probe, has a stronger force pull than him, and mind tricks a storm trooper, all literally days after discovering the force was even a real thing with no training from anyone. I guess I can understand why they did this because they want to get the story moving along quickly, but I understand why it's too much for many people. I have similar issues with the romance between Rey and Fin which appears to be blossoming despite the fact that since they met they've only shared about 20 lines of dialogue. "Oh wow! People are trying to kill you too? We have so much in common we should probably fall in love."

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I saw Star Wars over New Year.

Where did the plot come from?. By that I mean was it conceived by George Lucas ages ago or more recently by Disney committee?.

I enjoyed the film and will no doubt watch it several more times but the endless re-hashing of A New Hope plot threads, locations and characters was getting a bit much. I remember rolling my eyes when the graphic comparison of the Death Star vs Star Killer was brought up.

It all just looked to me like Disney bean-counters had decided they needed to play it safe and just ensure the film made enough cash to pay for the next 2 sequels - when hopefully they can branch out a lot more.

Dont think George Lucas had much to do with it, looks like he had ideas but they werent interested.

8 hours ago, Anon said:

I saw it and I liked it more than I thought I would. I think they did an excellent job with casting with strong performances from all the new leads. Rey is most definitely a Mary Sue though.

Spoiler

It took Luke two films before he learned how to wield the force effectively, yet Rey beats Kylo Ren (a guy trained as a Jedi from a young age and the protege of a powerful Sith) in a light sabre battle, resists his mind probe, has a stronger force pull than him, and mind tricks a storm trooper, all literally days after discovering the force was even a real thing with no training from anyone. I guess I can understand why they did this because they want to get the story moving along quickly, but I understand why it's too much for many people. I have similar issues with the romance between Rey and Fin which appears to be blossoming despite the fact that since they met they've only shared about 20 lines of dialogue. "Oh wow! People are trying to kill you too? We have so much in common we should probably fall in love."

i really enjoyed the film, thought it was put together well and the cast was brilliant but what gripes me about the film is (highlighted in the spoiler), it just doesn't make sense at all, also im surpised at how similiar a story it was to a new hope, incredibly similiar, the plotline is basically the same

9 hours ago, Lord_Ram said:

i really enjoyed the film, thought it was put together well and the cast was brilliant but what gripes me about the film is (highlighted in the spoiler), it just doesn't make sense at all, also im surpised at how similiar a story it was to a new hope, incredibly similiar, the plotline is basically the same

My understanding was that the similarities were absolutely deliberate and intended as a homage/mirroring of the original story, although it does seem to be the most common criticism that I’ve seen.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

My understanding was that the similarities were absolutely deliberate and intended as a homage/mirroring of the original story, although it does seem to be the most common criticism that I’ve seen.

I would label it as same but different, there was an underlying plot that was quite similiar but also differences in character representation and some twists and turns not in the original. It does seem films do a lot of re-hashing now though, i mean look at Jurassic World.....is it a reboot? is it a sequel? neither/ nor really, a mix of both. And the last Star Trek film was outrageous in the things it lifted from wrath of khan.

So many remakes are happening right now its unreal (or sequels), i mean they are even making a sequel to Kindergarten Cop for crying out loud, like one wasnt enough :)

How long before Back to the future is remade? ET? Jaws - cant beleive that hasnt happened yet. The fact disney paid so much for star wars is a sign that there is very little originality left out there.

Regarding the next movies and all the spin offs that Disney have already planned, I heard a great quote about Star Wars the other day something like "in your lifetime you will NEVER see the final Star Wars"..... The franchise will just keep going and going and going, the universe and the possibilities for spin offs and extra episodes is totally limitless and Disney will continue to plough them out forever, and fair play to them if there Force Awakens is anything to go on then there will be some amazing films coming up. 

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Anyone who has ever delved into the Star Wars expanded universe books will know the scope is indeed limitless

And why not? I've read a few of the books and thought they would make brilliant films in their own right

I'm pretty sure Disney wiped the extended universe from canon when they bought the franchise. As far as I'm aware the future of the Star Wars universe is presently a blank slate.

yeah  i know - I was simply pointing out that the extended universe books show that the scope for further story telling is indeed limitless. Even more so as they've erased the EU from the canon

I hope they carry on with more stories in the future though, and resist temptation to go back in time and tell the back stories (like the I, II & III films)

On 05/01/2016 at 16:38, Anon said:

Spoiler

Are you sure Rey hasn't been trained?  Jedi's are trained at an early age. The training be at the back of her mind.

• 1 month later...
On 28 December 2015 at 18:01, Paul71 said:

More confirmation Harrison Ford looks like being in EP 8.

http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/12/star-wars-episode-viii-casting-new-lead-and-supporting-roles.html

Really hope if its true its some sort of 'flashback' or 'force ghost', maybe the force was with him afterall but he didnt know it, i dont know. Just hope its not a 'ren recovered his just alive body just before the explosion' scenario.

He's not in the cast list announced today. Neither is Peter Mayhew who doesn't seem very mobile now.

Benicio Del Toro is confirmed as well as Laura Dern.

20 hours ago, StringerBell said:

He's not in the cast list announced today. Neither is Peter Mayhew who doesn't seem very mobile now.

Benicio Del Toro is confirmed as well as Laura Dern.

Yeah so i see, maybe they kept him on the list so it didnt spoil the film as i guess everyone would have guessed the outcome.

I still dont rule something out, Ewan Mcgregor and Haydn Christensen are rumoured to be making an appearance and nothing about them either, i think there will be some surprise appearances, hope if they do appear its done well though.

It seems a bit odd re Harrison Ford as he wasnt going to be killed off originally, so i guess he must have agreed to multiple films, he was only killed off quite late in proceedings so they say.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Beat me by minutes you did.

Looks good, I'm a sucker for anything Ben Mendelsohn does - he's great at playing villains.

I think I've only seen him in a couple of things but starting to notice him more. He was great in Bloodline. And I've only just realised he was the Hall and Oates bloke out of The Place Beyond the Pines.

12 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Anyone got any idea who that black hooded figure is, I know Vaders in this but it doesn't look like him? 

Unless they're giving him a cloak for some reason. It does appear to be the Emperor there though as the Imperial Guard are standing to the side. And it looks like a Bacta tank behind the hooded figure. 

Archived