Star Wars

David

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it earlier. Might need to a bit of time to sink in and get a full opinion in terms of where it stands next to the originals but it's pretty damn great. It's very reverential to the original and that might irritate some. But from the opening crawl (which captures the simplicity of the originals, no trade disputes here) I was hooked and can't wait to see it again. The new characters are great and Kylo Ren is, well, complex.

Definitely watch the new one. Saw it at midnight, had plenty of time to mull it over now and it was absolutely f*cking brilliant. Great villian, relatable new characters, entertaining and action packed.

It's really fun, very much a new film while retaining the feel and essence of the first three. Definitely go and see this, don't b put off if you didn't like the originals.

47 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Definitely watch the new one. Saw it at midnight, had plenty of time to mull it over now and it was absolutely f*cking brilliant. Great villian, relatable new characters, entertaining and action packed.

It's really fun, very much a new film while retaining the feel and essence of the first three. Definitely go and see this, don't b put off if you didn't like the originals.

Some issues for me but they're minor and won't go into here because I don't want to spoil it for others. The overall experience was great fun. They're going to have to play it less safe in the next two though but I can totally understand why they did what they did in this one. The odd bit of unnecessary fanservice aside, they successfully used Star Wars tropes to introduce and make us care about these new characters. And they're great characters! Finn maybe slightly underdeveloped? He's the new Han Solo though. He's shallow on the surface and has plenty of wisecracks. 

Only one bit of clunky exposition dialogue in the whole film. It went at a hundred miles an hour. An emotional rollercoaster with excitement, sadness and humour. The new actors are brilliant. It didn't attempt to answer all the questions, it just took you on a familiar ride. Episode VIII can fill in the blanks. No trade disputes to speak of! Bring on Rogue One.

Any fans who haven't seen it yet might want to stay off social media. Some pathetic, disgruntled fans are demanding that Disney reinstates the Extended Universe or whatever they're calling it now (the books, comics, computer games etc) as canon and are taking to the internet to intentionally spoil the plot.

3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Some issues for me but they're minor and won't go into here because I don't want to spoil it for others. The overall experience was great fun. They're going to have to play it less safe in the next two though but I can totally understand why they did what they did in this one. The odd bit of unnecessary fanservice aside, they successfully used Star Wars tropes to introduce and make us care about these new characters. And they're great characters! Finn maybe slightly underdeveloped? He's the new Han Solo though. He's shallow on the surface and has plenty of wisecracks. 

Only one bit of clunky exposition dialogue in the whole film. It went at a hundred miles an hour. An emotional rollercoaster with excitement, sadness and humour. The new actors are brilliant. It didn't attempt to answer all the questions, it just took you on a familiar ride. Episode VIII can fill in the blanks (hopefully). No trade disputes to speak of! Bring on Rogue One.

My main issue with it was Starkiller Base and perhaps the pace of the film being too fast at times, some moments maybe could have done with slowing down and resonating a bit more but they're quite minor criticisms really.

Know exactly what you mean about exposition, but they had A LOT to cover in not too long and they couldn't answer every question, which as you say was a good thing. Frustrating now, but should add to the effect of the overall trilogy. At least we actually care what's going to happen to these characters.

I found the end maybe slightly unsatisfactory, but I'm just being picky.

All begins again with Rogue One, won't be long before we see more on-set stuff and a trailer...

49 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

My main issue with it was Starkiller Base and perhaps the pace of the film being too fast at times, some moments maybe could have done with slowing down and resonating a bit more but they're quite minor criticisms really.

Know exactly what you mean about exposition, but they had A LOT to cover in not too long and they couldn't answer every question, which as you say was a good thing. Frustrating now, but should add to the effect of the overall trilogy. At least we actually care what's going to happen to these characters.

I found the end maybe slightly unsatisfactory, but I'm just being picky.

All begins again with Rogue One, won't be long before we see more on-set stuff and a trailer...

Agreed. There was a very unecessary bit of fan service with Poe during the Starkiller part that took me out of the moment for a minute and, as great as it looked, the dogfight battle lacked the emotional punch of Episode IV. The first bit where the X-wings turned up though? Loved that. 

On the pacing, I've seen that's a bone of contention with some people online. I noticed it whilst watching but thought it was a great homage to the original, which was noted for its briskness. So I haven't got a problem with it going so fast, in fact I think that's a strength. But maybe this film lacked a reflective period like Dagobah in Empire? Also whilst Luke was a very quick learner he's been bested and I'm not sure what I make of that. I'm hoping for explanations but I'm just going with it for now.

Jar-Jar and the Gungans > Ewoks

It really is that simple folks. Sorry, Return of the Jedi is actually the second worst Star Wars movie, obviously only beating Phantom Menace. In order of preference:

III: Revenge of the Sith
IV: A New Hope
V: Empire Strikes Back
II: Attack of the Clones
VI: Return of the Jedi
I: Phantom Menace

28 minutes ago, Tombo said:

It really is that simple folks. Sorry, Return of the Jedi is actually the second worst Star Wars movie, obviously only beating Phantom Menace. In order of preference:

I respect your opinion but you're a lunatic ;)

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Not seen the new one (tomorrow) but aside from two cool fight scenes at the end Revenge of the Sith is mind-numbingly dull. 

Watched the new one last night and as a huge Star Wars fan I found myself being incredibly disappointed 

No originality (even the prequels tried that at least)

some over the top cheesy acting (probably Disney making for you, felt like wizard of Oz at points)

poor casting (someone really needs to keep his face hidden away if ya get me) with a couple of the characters 

Too much fan service

and no real hard hitting moments you can see everything coming 

really looked forward to this film I adore the originals more than anything but this just fell really flat on me 

One thing to save it was the effects they were terrific 

6/10

Watched it at the midnight showing and on thw whole, I was left feeling frustrated.  There was some great stuff in it but there was also some stuff that annoyed the hell out of me.  Before I explain - 

**********************SPOILER ALERT*****************************

The Good Stuff - 

The first hour was absolutely perfect.

The new leads were all very good, Boyega especially.

Harrison Ford was brilliant, the glint in his eye when he stepped into the cockpit of the Falcon was 100% Solo.  Same goes when he's making his excuses to Leia.

The mix of practical effects & CGI was seamless.

No issues with Kylo Ren being Han & Leia's son, I thought it was a neat twist.

The Bad Stuff - 

What was the point in Captain Phasma???  Did she even fire her weapon, all the pre-release hype described her as a ruthless badass but she did absolutely nothing.  I hope she's back for Episode VIII just so Christie is given something to do.

Han's death was completely botched.  Everyone appears to be over it within 5 minutes, Leia has a little Force wobble and Chewie muffles a bit!!!  They've both known he for more than 30 years and they don't even console each other after the final battle?!?!?!?  Leia walks straight past him and gives Rey a hug despite the fact she's only just met her, WTF!!!  You'd have thought, considering the fact he saved the galaxy more than once, they'd have had a memorial service for him at least.

She may well turn out to be the most powerful Jedi of all time, but Rey suddenly being able to control others and wield a lightsaber like a boss having only known the Force was real for a couple of days is beyond stupid and unbelievable.  I've heard rumours that Leia knows who she is, many suspect Luke's daughter or a someone who was able to escape Ren's massacre, but it's annoying we have to wait another two years to find out.  It just detracts from this chapter's story.

Starkiller Base didn't feel like a tangible threat even when we saw what it could do.  Also, if it recharges itself via nearby stars does it have to move to others when it wants to fire???  

The whole thing seemed so small, they had the whole galaxy to fly around but everyone keeps bumping into everyone else so easily.  It's like a James Bond film taking place entirely in Alvaston

The climax lacked originality, it ripped off three previous installments.

**********************SPOILER END*****************************

I know they'll be people who don't like these films who'll say "it's only a movie" but it frustrating when any film ignores it's own internal logic to such a degree.  

38 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Watched it at the midnight showing and on thw whole, I was left feeling frustrated.  There was some great stuff in it but there was also some stuff that annoyed the hell out of me.  Before I explain - 

The Good Stuff - 

The first hour was absolutely perfect.

The new leads were all very good, Boyega especially.

Harrison Ford was brilliant, the glint in his eye when he stepped into the cockpit of the Falcon was 100% Solo.  Same goes when he's making his excuses to Leia.

The mix of practical effects & CGI was seamless.

No issues with Kylo Ren being Han & Leia's son, I thought it was a neat twist.

The Bad Stuff - 

What was the point in Captain Phasma???  Did she even fire her weapon, all the pre-release hype described her as a ruthless badass but she did absolutely nothing.  I hope she's back for Episode VIII just so Christie is given something to do.

Han's death was completely botched.  Everyone appears to be over it within 5 minutes, Leia has a little Force wobble and Chewie muffles a bit!!!  They've both known he for more than 30 years and they don't even console each other after the final battle?!?!?!?  Leia walks straight past him and gives Rey a hug despite the fact she's only just met her, WTF!!!  You'd have thought, considering the fact he saved the galaxy more than once, they'd have had a memorial service for him at least.

She may well turn out to be the most powerful Jedi of all time, but Rey suddenly being able to control others and wield a lightsaber like a boss having only known the Force was real for a couple of days is beyond stupid and unbelievable.  I've heard rumours that Leia knows who she is, many suspect Luke's daughter or a someone who was able to escape Ren's massacre, but it's annoying we have to wait another two years to find out.  It just detracts from this chapter's story.

Starkiller Base didn't feel like a tangible threat even when we saw what it could do.  Also, if it recharges itself via nearby stars does it have to move to others when it wants to fire???  

The whole thing seemed so small, they had the whole galaxy to fly around but everyone keeps bumping into everyone else so easily.  It's like a James Bond film taking place entirely in Alvaston

The climax lacked originality, it ripped off three previous installments.

I know they'll be people who don't like these films who'll say "it's only a movie" but it frustrating when any film ignores it's own internal logic to such a degree.  

SPOILER ALERT*****************************

I agree with a lot what you say. I didn't understand the logistics of Starkiller base. I'm going to read the novelisation to see if that explains further. And the momentary trench run took me out of the moment. That was fanservice too far.

I was saying afterwards Phasma was a bit naff. Not too sure if fans haven't convinced themselves Phasma was going to be amazing or not though. Everybody seems to have decided she's the next Boba Fett. She had none of the menace of Boba Fett though and came across as prissy and got humiliated (so did Boba but he had 3 years of being thought of as awesome first). Gwendoline Christies been put forward for a few interviews though so maybe she was overhyped. There's toys to sell. 

One problem I had - There's been lots of talk about diversity in the casting of this film. I have no problem with Captain Phasma being high up in the First Order if she does it on merit by being a badass. But she wasn't really. And then there were other women operating in the ships. I'm not saying this as I disagree, but because it totally goes against the way the Empire was. There were no women in the Empire, they were in the Rebellion to a slightly greater extent but not the Empire because the Empire were a horrible oppressive regime. So why the change? Has affirmative action and political correctness infected the First Order? 

With the fight - yes I'm not sure what to make of Rey's newfound abilities (it was the force persuasion that was most jarring for me). There were 2 injuries to Kylo Ren to take into account. Plus one of the fights could have been about him screwing up as much as anything else. I don't think he was particularly focused or in a good place. Also the Force awoke! The force in this seems to almost have a kind of sentience, like it wants to right an imbalance - Lightsabres calling to people? Hmm. I expect Luke to explain away a lot of what happened and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody had a Darth Revan-esque suppression of memory (Old Republic lore). How this stands up will depend where they take it next I think. They've laid the groundwork by using old tropes. Now they need to do something original in the next one. 

In terms of the galaxy being small - I mentioned this to my brother. On reflection I wonder if Max Von Sydow's character pieces a lot of that together.

I'm not sure about R2's Deus Ex Machina moment. I actually don't quite know what happened there although there seems to be a few things I missed as the 2 yapping kids next to me were very distracting.

I'd also say that for all the talk of practical effects (which were great) there was one minor CGI character that should have been a puppet on Jakku and I'm not sure about Whether it was necessary for Snoke to be motion capture.

For its faults and possible faults I still loved it though. It awoke my inner childhood and I can't wait for the next one. 

19 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

SPOILER ALERT*****************************

I agree with a lot what you say. I didn't understand the logistics of Starkiller base. I'm going to read the novelisation to see if that explains further. And the momentary trench run took me out of the moment. That was fanservice too far.

I was saying afterwards Phasma was a bit naff. Not too sure if fans haven't convinced themselves Phasma was going to be amazing or not though. Everybody seems to have decided she's the next Boba Fett. She had none of the menace of Boba Fett though and came across as prissy and got humiliated (so did Boba but he had 3 years of being thought of as awesome first). Gwendoline Christies been put forward for a few interviews though so maybe she was overhyped. There's toys to sell. 

One problem I had - There's been lots of talk about diversity in the casting of this film. I have no problem with Captain Phasma being high up in the First Order if she does it on merit by being a badass. But she wasn't really. And then there were other women operating in the ships. I'm not saying this as I disagree, but because it totally goes against the way the Empire was. There were no women in the Empire, they were in the Rebellion to a slightly greater extent but not the Empire because the Empire were a horrible oppressive regime. So why the change? Has affirmative action and political correctness infected the First Order? 

With the fight - yes I'm not sure what to make of Rey's newfound abilities (it was the force persuasion that was most jarring for me). There were 2 injuries to Kylo Ren to take into account. Plus one of the fights could have been about him screwing up as much as anything else. I don't think he was particularly focused or in a good place. Also the Force awoke! The force in this seems to almost have a kind of sentience, like it wants to right an imbalance - Lightsabres calling to people? Hmm. I expect Luke to explain away a lot of what happened and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody had a Darth Revan-esque suppression of memory (Old Republic lore). How this stands up will depend where they take it next I think. They've laid the groundwork by using old tropes. Now they need to do something original in the next one. 

In terms of the galaxy being small - I mentioned this to my brother. On reflection I wonder if Max Von Sydow's character pieces a lot of that together.

I'm not sure about R2's Deus Ex Machina moment. I actually don't quite know what happened there although there seems to be a few things I missed as the 2 yapping kids next to me were very distracting.

I'd also say that for all the talk of practical effects (which were great) there was one minor CGI character that should have been a puppet on Jakku and I'm not sure about Whether it was necessary for Snoke to be motion capture.

For its faults and possible faults I still loved it though. It awoke my inner childhood and I can't wait for the next one. 

Same here.  Would've been easier to swallow if she managed to flick the switch to open her restraints, then force push the storm trooper into a wall or something.  Like she was doing in on instinct...  I can't believe that among all the smart people who worked on this they didn't think these things through a little more.  

Archived