Star Wars

Day

2 hours ago, StringerBell said:

67 on metacritic :(

82 on rotten tomatoes though

the half in the bag guys will have a review on it in a couple of days...should be interesting

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

the half in the bag guys will have a review on it in a couple of days...should be interesting

They're always entertaining. I listened to Collider's review and sort of wished I hadn't. It was a non-spoiler review but I knew what they were talking about anyway. 

22 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

They're always entertaining. I listened to Collider's review and sort of wished I hadn't. It was a non-spoiler review but I knew what they were talking about anyway. 

yeah i try not to until after i have seen to be fair.

A lot of the reviews I've read have stated it has the best 3rd act of any of the previous films.  One even went as far to say it's the best since A New Hope!!!  It would be quite ironic if it turns out to be one of the best despite it having the worst marketing campaign of them all.  Not one of the trailers got me as excited to the TFA or the prequels for that matter.  

Saying that I'll be going regardless just to give two fingers to those idiot Trump supports who're trying to get people to boycott it.  Tossers!!!

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

A lot of the reviews I've read have stated it has the best 3rd act of any of the previous films.  One even went as far to say it's the best since A New Hope!!!  It would be quite ironic if it turns out to be one of the best despite it having the worst marketing campaign of them all.  Not one of the trailers got me as excited to the TFA or the prequels for that matter.  

Saying that I'll be going regardless just to give two fingers to those idiot Trump supports who're trying to get people to boycott it.  Tossers!!!

I've not got it in me to boycott Star Wars. We've only just got it back. But those tosser Trump supporters are right about Hollywood and Star Wars ramming diversity down everyone's throats and they were right to take umbrage with that stupid safety pin thing.

Making out the Empire are Nazi's? Well I always thought that tbh. In which case why did the most fanatical remnant of the Empire have a black and a female storm trooper? Are the Empire space Nazi's or not Star Wars? Make up your ******* mind!

Two films in a row with women as the lead now. In an action film? With Rey I have no problem with as she's a Jedi. Yoda was a midget and he kicked ass so it's not unreasonable for Rey to. But a pint sized lass with no force ability beating the **** out of Stormtroopers in a supposedly gritty war film. Hmmm. I'll reserve judgement until I see it but I'm expecting the frumpy lass from Game of Thrones as Sarah Connor levels of silliness.

The only (new) white men in the films are villains. Then look at the new canon - No gay Star Wars characters in 40 years and then 2 come along at once. Sana Solo, the girl from Lost Stars, Rae Sloane, Luke's new girlfriend in Heir to the Jedi (even though Mark Hammill says Luke might be gay?) and many more all 'diverse'. 

Claudia Grays 'author casting' for Bloodline had representatives from every corner of the globe.

I don't care if Star Wars chartacters are black, female or gay (unless they're Empire as that makes no sense). It's got aliens in it so I'm not bothered about earthly diversity. It's just so obvious what they're doing. I bet most of the money in George Lucas' bank account was given to him by men, largely white ones I'd expect.

**** those in the alt-right lot for going on about Jews though. 

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Well empire was the best of them all imo.

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

I've not got it in me to boycott Star Wars. We've only just got it back. But those tosser Trump supporters are right about Hollywood and Star Wars ramming diversity down everyone's throats and they were right to take umbrage with that stupid safety pin thing.

Making out the Empire are Nazi's? Well I always thought that tbh. In which case why did the most fanatical remnant of the Empire have a black and a female storm trooper? Are the Empire space Nazi's or not Star Wars? Make up your ******* mind!

Two films in a row with women as the lead now. In an action film? With Rey I have no problem with as she's a Jedi. Yoda was a midget and he kicked ass so it's not unreasonable for Rey to. But a pint sized lass with no force ability beating the **** out of Stormtroopers in a supposedly gritty war film. Hmmm. I'll reserve judgement until I see it but I'm expecting the frumpy lass from Game of Thrones as Sarah Connor levels of silliness.

The only (new) white men in the films are villains. Then look at the new canon - No gay Star Wars characters in 40 years and then 2 come along at once. Sana Solo, the girl from Lost Stars, Rae Sloane, Luke's new girlfriend in Heir to the Jedi (even though Mark Hammill says Luke might be gay?) and many more all 'diverse'. 

Claudia Grays 'author casting' for Bloodline had representatives from every corner of the globe.

I don't care if Star Wars chartacters are black, female or gay (unless they're Empire as that makes no sense). It's got aliens in it so I'm not bothered about earthly diversity. It's just so obvious what they're doing. I bet most of the money in George Lucas' bank account was given to him by men, largely white ones I'd expect.

**** those in the alt-right lot for going on about Jews though. 

Really can't decide if you're joking or not...

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Really can't decide if you're joking or not...

Which bit would I be joking about? The bit where I said I'd like it if the people who made Star Wars products weren't discriminating based on sex and race? Or the bit where I wanted believable characters in films?

14 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Which bit would I be joking about? The bit where I said I'd like it if the people who made Star Wars products weren't discriminating based on sex and race? Or the bit where I wanted believable characters in films?

Er both... Who cares if Felicity Jones is the lead or there's 2 Asians, a Hispanic, and a Pakistani actor in the lead roles. It's a galaxy far far away with millions of different species.  Should they all be white males???

You want believable, grounded characters in a film featuring aliens, sentient robots, spacecraft that make noise in the vacuum of space and a mythical religion??? Good luck with that...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Er both... Who cares if Felicity Jones is the lead or there's 2 Asians, a Hispanic, and a Pakistani actor in the lead roles. It's a galaxy far far away with millions of different species.  Should they all be white males???

You want believable, grounded characters in a film featuring aliens, sentient robots, spacecraft that make noise in the vacuum of space and a mythical religion??? Good luck with that...

I've already stated I don't care what race actors or characters in the Star Wars universe are. But it is quite obvious that the people behind Star Wars at the minute do. I don't care if they're all white males either for the same reason that I don't care if they're all different ethnicities. Do you? You seem to.

Should all the Empire/First Order characters be ******* a white male though? Well being as after he'd finished telling Trump supporters to unfollow him, alienating probably more than half of the American Star Wars fan base in the process, Rogue One screenwriter Chris Weitz said that the Empire are white supremacists then they probably should be really.

Apparently a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away this is what white supremacists looked like.

2e3d56u.png%5B

v3jfc0.png

kevxg6.png

wcoci0.png

But I suppose I should forget that because there's some robots that can talk?

Yes I do want realistic characters. Specifically characters who kick ass actually looking like they can kick your ass. Women can do this too, if they look like Grace Jones, Sigourney Weaver or Linda Hamilton as opposed to Felicity Jones. The 'suspension of disbelief', as it is known, becomes even more paramount when it is a fantasy film as opposed to a Ken Loach film for precisely the reasons you mention. I would appreciate action stars looking like action stars. Controversial I know.

22 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I've already stated I don't care what race actors or characters in the Star Wars universe are. But it is quite obvious that the people behind Star Wars at the minute do. I don't care if they're all white males either for the same reason that I don't care if they're all different ethnicities. Do you? You seem to.

Should all the Empire/First Order characters be ******* a white male though? Well being as after he'd finished telling Trump supporters to unfollow him, alienating probably more than half of the American Star Wars fan base in the process, Rogue One screenwriter Chris Weitz said that the Empire are white supremacists then they probably should be really.

Apparently a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away this is what white supremacists looked like.

2e3d56u.png%5B

v3jfc0.png

kevxg6.png

wcoci0.png

But I suppose I should forget that because there's some robots that can talk?

Yes I do want realistic characters. Specifically characters who kick ass actually looking like they can kick your ass. Women can do this too, if they look like Grace Jones, Sigourney Weaver or Linda Hamilton as opposed to Felicity Jones. The 'suspension of disbelief', as it is known, becomes even more paramount when it is a fantasy film as opposed to a Ken Loach film for precisely the reasons you mention. I would appreciate action stars looking like action stars. Controversial I know.

Personally I think Chris Weitz was being extremely clever is annoying Trump supporters.  In hacking them off it generates more publicity (there's no such thing as bad press remember...) for the film and Republicans will go and see it twice just to stick two fingers up at the opposition.  There's no way this film won't be a big hit.

I'll agree with Jones slightly but there aren't any real action stars anymore.  You'll never see the likes of Arnie, Sly or Bruce Willis (when he gave a **** about what he was doing) again.  Audiences don't want to see indestructible, one man armies anymore.  Heroes need to have a sensitive side and great hair.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Personally I think Chris Weitz was being extremely clever is annoying Trump supporters.  In hacking them off it generates more publicity (there's no such thing as bad press remember...) for the film and Republicans will go and see it twice just to stick two fingers up at the opposition.  There's no way this film won't be a big hit.

I'll agree with Jones slightly but there aren't any real action stars anymore.  You'll never see the likes of Arnie, Sly or Bruce Willis (when he gave a **** about what he was doing) again.  Audiences don't want to see indestructible, one man armies anymore.  Heroes need to have a sensitive side and great hair.

Yeah times have changed. I'm not sure how much of it's to do with what people want as it is what people are given though. Vin Diesel and the Rock are doing ok, Bourne and Daniel Craig brought a bit of physicality back after every action film wanted to be the Matrix and in the East Tony Jaa rescued us from Crouching Tiger Hidden ********. 

Just now, StringerBell said:

Yeah times have changed. I'm not sure how much of it's to do with what people want as it is what people are given though. Vin Diesel and the Rock are doing ok, Bourne and Daniel Craig brought a bit of physicality back after every action film wanted to be the Matrix and in the East Tony Jaa rescued us from Crouching Tiger Hidden ********. 

What's happened to Tony Jaa?? He seemed to disappear up his own arse with Ong Bak 3...

Saw Rogue One

IT WAS ALRIGHT

You know what, until about an hour in I wasn't really that on board with it, but by the end I was throughly convinced. Can't emphasise enough how good the third act is. All the war stuff is great. 

There'll be a lot of flak about digital recreations of certain characters, but one didn't bother me at all, in fact I loved it, but one was ***** and unnecessary.

The way it ties into Star Wars is great, it's basically an extension of the original trilogy, almost acts as episode 0 (if you consider A New Hope Ep.1, if you get me).

Yeah, go see it, basically.

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 10:53, StringerBell said:

So basically you want to watch tough, beefy men grapple physically with each other? 

In other news, I got beat up on the way home tonight for being a white male. All these women were kicking my head in and some blacks and asians were stamping on my white ass.  It was a direct result of white men been made out to be the bad guys in pretty much every film ever. Life is so unfair. I'd love all those horrible women, foreigners, gays etc to walk a day in my shoes.

19 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

we went this afternoon, it is really really good....as many have stated it get better and better as it goes on. 

It starts off complicated....but the final scenes with ********* no I'm not saying...just go and see it, its great.

I thought is was great too. Looking forward to all the futures spinoffs. Yoda's school days one sounds good. As does Vader's vacation between new hope and empire strikes back.

Archived