Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

1 hour ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Where's an elephant?

But seriously, why is it irrelevant? Bristol's 3-5-2/5-4-1 really played into our hands. Their centre backs were being pulled about by Bent's runs, and gave Ince the space and licence to roam free.

Playing to our strengths may not be to their weaknesses - it may even play to their strengths. Its folly to think we can win everything by playing in one way.

The only reason I said it was irrelevant is because every team plays a certain formation, so setting out our own formation to counter an opponents side, especially if our formation is not the best it can be  - is counter productive. I wasn't implying anything to last nights game as this is the Ipswich thread.

We have such a strong squad with great talent this season that if we play to our strengths and abilities - not many teams will worry us let alone beat us. That's not arrogance talking, it's confidence ...........

I totally agree with your comment regarding Bent's runs in last nights game........opens up areas for Ince........ I said something in Daveo's thread last night ...........

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, sage said:

GK

Christie                  Keogh                     Shackell               Warnock

Thorne                     Butterfield

Russell                                 Ince                                    Johnson

Martin

^^^This will do. 

But I suspect it will be back to the regular formation.

Paul Clement:

"The table is very tight again, the Championship is very finely poised now going into what is a crucial festive period."

"We have got the best goal difference in the league at the moment. We are showing great quality both defensively and offensively."

"I'm pleased for Tom, although I was surprised to hear that it was his first career hat trick."

"We are hoping that Tom can build on that now. He is a very talented player and showed that against Bristol."

(Will point out after listening to the interview myself, he highlights that Ince's third goal came from the position he's played all season, to me implying he might be going back there on Sat)

(On Darren Bent)  "He's had to be patient. He's been desperate to contribute to the team and I felt he did well on Tuesday."

(On the System)  "It's something I'll be thinking about over the next couple of days ahead of Ipswich."

"Saturday will be a very different challenge and that's something we need to adapt to and is determined by the team I go for."

Lee Grant:

"It's been an imporant run of games and we have come out of it unbeaten, Tuesday was just the icing on the cake for us."

"I'm enjoying being back involved. When you're out of it you miss it, but all I can do is work hard for my opportunity."

(on Carson)  "We get on really well. We don't give each other a minutes peace on the training field."

"He's very dry, very witty and a very likeable character. He's pushing to be fit and there's a healthy competition between us."

"That competition is the same right across the squad. There is something special here and that togetherness is going to be key."

(on Ipswich)  You have to have a strong and aggressive attitude. We need to match because they have got quality in their squad."

"It's going to be a tough afternoon, it's a big game, but it's one we are all fully prepared for and relish."

Other notes:

Hendrick didn't train today, Carson back on the grass but still day-by-day, Bryson still away from the team 

31 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Paul Clement:

"I'm pleased for Tom, although I was surprised to hear that it was his first career hat trick."

"We are hoping that Tom can build on that now. He is a very talented player and showed that against Bristol."

(Will point out after listening to the interview myself, he highlights that Ince's third goal came from the position he's played all season, to me implying he might be going back there on Sat)

Yes .. I picked that up too. LOL ...meaning "I know you enjoyed yourself in that position and you did a fine job... but we are building a team here, so if I want you out wide then that is where you'll be playing."   .. made me chuckle

12 minutes ago, richinspain said:

You mean Clement normally gives him permission to get caught in possession :ph34r:

Haha, yes Clement believes it's a good way to lure the opposition into a false sense of security before we sucker punch them!

I just think they'll be more of an emphasis on playing it simple whilst we've got numbers forward!

3 hours ago, TimRam said:

Glad Paul Cooper is no longer in goal for them. Recall he saved 3 Derby penalties once (one was retaken and he saved both).

That was the last time we drew with them at Ipswich (1980). 

Good to see so many fellow Suffolk Rams on here too.   COYR

14 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Other notes:

Hendrick didn't train today, Carson back on the grass but still day-by-day, Bryson still away from the team 

Thought Carson was out with a back injury. Didn't realise it was an addiction problem. Still, he's doing the right thing taking it day by day, forty steps programme and all that. We support you Scott ya crazy stoner ya.

59 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Based on his goal the other night, I'd start Johnny over Weimann.

any sense in us playing 4-4-2 and just going toe to toe?

I'm struggling to understand why should we? We have game against better side in this division and you suggest that we should play with the new tactic which would suit their style better than any?

I'd rather target their weaknesses, not strengths. We are no THAT good.

So IMO no sense at all.

Archived