Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've often suffered with our performances with the last of 3 games in a week. Hopefully the rotation last night will put us in good stead to get a result against Ipswich. Won't be easy, but we know we're more than capable. 

Tempted to play Johnson as a left mid, he did very well for norwich there last season, especially against ipswich

4-2-3-1

Grant

Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock

Thorne Butterfield

Russell          Ince               Johnson

Bent

11 hours ago, sage said:

GK

Christie                  Keogh                     Shackell               Warnock

Thorne                     Butterfield

Russell                                 Ince                                    Johnson

Martin

Yes Johnson at lm please

5 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Don't change a winning team (except maybe Hendrick). Teams been poor in the couple of games up until Bristol, then the options are on the bench to change things if it isn't working. 

Performance last night only really improved after subs though.

7 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Don't change a winning team (except maybe Hendrick). Teams been poor in the couple of games up until Bristol, then the options are on the bench to change things if it isn't working. 

The performance last night was good (so don't get mad, @eddie) but winning at home to a Bristol side who's performance left their manager looking like he was about to cry and getting a result away at the in-form team in the league are two very different propositions. 

Our regular system may not be played against Ipswich (but it probably will), but Martin will likely be back in the side. So will Thorne. 

Ipswich went 4-3-3 against Boro (H) and lost. - Boro played 4-2-3-1.

Changed to 4-4-2, beat MK Dons (A) and then reverted back to 4-3-3 to win away at Fulham.

Not many Town fans predicting a win... even fewer confident about it!

EDIT:

In fact, there doesn't seem to be much confidence about the place at all, despite being in sixth!

7 hours ago, caymanram said:

If you watch the highlights of the Ipswich vs Fulham game it's very apparent how quickly Ipswich break on you- they have a lot of pace from midfield going forward. Quite impressive. I can see that troubling us. This might not be a particularly good game for George for, although he reads the game quite well, he's hardly the quickest or most nimble. Have to admit I am not too sure who I would put in there instead as none of our midfielders are particularly quick- not the central ones at any rate.

I think you stick with Thorne but just tell him not to get caught in or losing possession!

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

The performance last night was good (so don't get mad, @eddie) but winning at home to a Bristol side who's performance left their manager looking like he was about to cry and getting a result away at the in-form team in the league are two very different propositions. 

Our regular system may not be played against Ipswich (but it probably will), but Martin will likely be back in the side. So will Thorne. 

Do you think we played well for the first hour?

Don't what it is about Macarthy but I always want to see his teams beaten. he has this recipe that is very well based on graft and virtue. it isn't bad but there is something joyless but efficient in the ethic of it. It just doesn't appeal in a footballing sense. He strikes me as an Oliver Cromwell sort of manager. Probably being unfair on him but 3 points there would be extra sweet.

1 hour ago, super rams said:

People get bogged down by opponents formations, which are really irrelevant.

All that matters is that we play to our own strengths and abilities.

Where's an elephant?

But seriously, why is it irrelevant? Bristol's 3-5-2/5-4-1 really played into our hands. Their centre backs were being pulled about by Bent's runs, and gave Ince the space and licence to roam free.

Playing to our strengths may not be to their weaknesses - it may even play to their strengths. Its folly to think we can win everything by playing in one way.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

I wasn't there so can't tell...

Do you think we would have won that game last/few seasons ago... If we weren't that great last night.

Just think it shows how lucky we are we have plenty of strength in depth and character now days to win a game we played bang average so I read... 

Im always trying to turn it into a positive! 

14 minutes ago, sage said:

No, but we weren't woeful. And luckily a game doesn't last for an hour. So overall, I thought we were good. "Good" is not my highest accolade. 

Credit to McCarthy, his teams are always hard to beat. If you watch the squad, you could say they are  overachieving too. Pulis of the Championship.

They had to sell Mings with huge money and brought in cheap, but very good replacement with Knudsen. We have be ready for his long throws, suits them well.

Archived