1884 Group - Legends Flag

TomBustler1884

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Abu Derby said:

I'd have thought that pride of place on the flag ie the centre should be the great Brian Clough. 

At his side Dave Mackay. Underneath them Arthur Cox And Jim Smith. In one corner a silhouette of Clement ready to be filled in at a later date. 

You can't have Clough without Taylor.

To completely discount the promotion team under BD is ridiculous.

It remains the single most enjoyable season of my DCFC supporting life. That team gave it absolutely everything and left me with amazing memories; 

- Howard's last minute winner after going down to 10 men at 1-0 down at Shef Wed.
- Jones' last minute free kick Shef Wed at Home.
- Barnes' last minute screamer of a volley to get a point at Cardiff.
- Oakley's screamer against West Brom at home.
- The unforgettable play off semi final shoot out.
- The play off final win.
- Beating Leeds away!

That season was amazing, regardless of what happened thereafter.

4 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

Hi everyone

In case you haven't seen it in the 1884 Group thread, we are going to be getting a giant flag done with DCFC legends on.

We want Rams fans to help choose who should be on it by nominating their favourites from any point in DCFC history.

Please make your suggestions in this thread by 30 November and help us shape the flag!

Cheers 

Tom

Is this just for legends like managers/players etc? If not I'd love to see Sam rush gain a bit of recognition, clement and Mel Morris have there chants etc but Rush has changed the entire outlook of the club since he arrived.

10 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Is this just for legends like managers/players etc? If not I'd love to see Sam rush gain a bit of recognition, clement and Mel Morris have there chants etc but Rush has changed the entire outlook of the club since he arrived.

We've been asked to steer clear of the boardroom tbh, with the exception potentially of Lionel.

Please please please please please please pleaaaaaaaase can it have nothing to do with the 2007 playoff final? If it wasn't for that day we wouldn't be the worst team in top flight history. Please. There is nothing good about that day.

Secondly, it would be a crying shame if we didn't use the opportunity to remember the Cup win, which is all too often forgotten. You could easily argue that given we were the first club to get our act together after the Second World War, we were probably the best club side on the entire planet in 1946. That Cup final was absolutely huge, for obvious reasons, and everyone in the country would have known about it.

It's always seemed quite sad to me that it's been completely usurped by events of the past 40 years. I know very few werr alive then, let alone old enough to remember it, but the 1970s is the only decade which can match the '46 cup win in terms of us being simply better than the rest of the country.

This is going to be one big flag!

The difficulty in this is how you define 'legend'. Beyond the ones we would probably all agree with - Bloomer, Stamps, Straw, Clough(Brian)/Taylor, Mackay, Toddy, Mac, Charlie and co -  are favourite players who may have played for a couple of (unsuccessful) seasons legends, or even those that played in successful teams.  Is Frannie Lee a legend, for example, or is his association with Man City more than that with us; how about Shilton who played over 30 times for England while he was with us? Are they less legend like than Seth, better players though they  may be? Is Matthews more worthy of inclusion than Shilton?

Steve Powell played for us over 400 times and stayed when he could have gone; Jack Parry played over 500 times as did Jimmy Methven (at the turn of the century) and Geoff Barrowcliffe (in the 50's) etc etc

Perhaps we need two flags - an 'old legends flag' with Bloomer, Methven, the FA Cup team etc and a 'new legends flag' of the 1970 onwards teams/managers

Their ain t a Derby without KevinHector. To be honest their are many players in derby s history who people would consider a legend.   So to narrow it down perhaps managers who have won leagues or cups.

Jim Methen--George Jobey---Stuart Mcmilan--Harry Storer--Brian Clough--Peter Taylor--Dave Mackay--Arthur Cox--

Jim Smith--Billy Davies,          All led us in our        winning seasons

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Please please please please please please pleaaaaaaaase can it have nothing to do with the 2007 playoff final? If it wasn't for that day we wouldn't be the worst team in top flight history. Please. There is nothing good about that day.

Secondly, it would be a crying shame if we didn't use the opportunity to remember the Cup win, which is all too often forgotten. You could easily argue that given we were the first club to get our act together after the Second World War, we were probably the best club side on the entire planet in 1946. That Cup final was absolutely huge, for obvious reasons, and everyone in the country would have known about it.

It's always seemed quite sad to me that it's been completely usurped by events of the past 40 years. I know very few werr alive then, let alone old enough to remember it, but the 1970s is the only decade which can match the '46 cup win in terms of us being simply better than the rest of the country.

there's a reason. I'd guess about 90% of Derby fans, if not more, cannot remember that cup final (ie not born.)

Archived