Announcement/Stadium Expansion?

needles

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't selling every seat at the moment. Sure, if we get promoted we could sell 40k+ I imagine, but if we came straight back down we'd be back to 30k at best (if we continue to play well) and it would have been pointless.

Pretty sure it's been talked about before and it was said it wouldn't happen until we were sustaining a place in the prem.

We wouldn't expand the stadium the second we won promotion. I would hope the club would be wise enough if we got relegated to lower the cost for a ticket/season ticket to boost sales to take the same revenue. People seem bothered that there would be empty seats if we did get relegated after a stadium expansion. The reality is that the club would probably not sell tickets for the last dozen or so rows, cover them and also allow fans to put flags on top of a seat covering. 

There's no way we'd consider expanding unless we were an established mid table prem side for a good few seasons.  Even with that we'd struggle to fill upwards of 35/36k...

If we went up and had a capacity of 40,000 we could expect our visitors to bring at least 4,000 fans. So for a sell out we would require about 7,500 more of our own fans to show up. Easily done for at least 1/3 of fixtures considering the opposition. We would also be playing 4 less home games. I know a few people who go to the odd game that are life long fans who would get a season ticket when we get promoted. 

safe standing??????????????

That would be great. I would hope we don't just turn seats into standing areas, but also boost capacity like the Germans. If I remember correctly it's 1.8 safe standing to every 1 seat. Do it for the entire South stand and we can boost capacity by around 3,500. 

Mel Morris is giving a free woolly hat to all ST holders before Saturdays game. RRP £50.

Could possibly be getting gloves for the QPR game.

I've still got one of the shirts from the game we lost 4-2 on Saturday night TV. Most of the others got chucked down the front 

Mel is throwing £millions at the academy and training ground - when finished it'll not be Premier League standard, it'll be as good as any of the big boys. That suggests that Mel is not intending to have much to do with the Championship in future years. As a Premier League club we would need a 40,000 seater stadium. In reality, what keeps you in the Premier League is money. If Mel is intending to bankroll us to that degree, it  makes sense for him to put the infrastructure in place as soon as possible. In fact the current economic situation makes building cheaper as there's not much development around. Waiting a couple of years might actually prove really costly.

Increasing capacity would be stupid. Unless ticket prices dropped substantially it'll be 33,000 full for majority of games with glory hunters popping in for the others. The captive audience isn't big enough to sustain anything more.

But what doesn't add up is A) Radio Derby having an exclusive and B) Fans forum on Wednesday. I cannot imagine Radio Derby being given an exclusive for something which isn't radio Derby related. I know someone at Radio Derby and he wouldn't give me an inkling as to what it is except he knew about it last week.

If we went up and had a capacity of 40,000 we could expect our visitors to bring at least 4,000 fans. So for a sell out we would require about 7,500 more of our own fans to show up. Easily done for at least 1/3 of fixtures considering the opposition. We would also be playing 4 less home games. I know a few people who go to the odd game that are life long fans who would get a season ticket when we get promoted. 

That would be great. I would hope we don't just turn seats into standing areas, but also boost capacity like the Germans. If I remember correctly it's 1.8 safe standing to every 1 seat. Do it for the entire South stand and we can boost capacity by around 3,500. 

I still think we'd struggle and I don't see Mel as being so cavalier to do it when we aren't there/only just got there (finger crossed).  We don't want knee jerk ideas being put into motion whenever the chairman feels it like those cockwombles up the road...

Can see why people are saying 'wait till we're an established mid table Prem club,' but this is Mel Morris in charge now, not the Americans. He probably doesn't have the mind set of "we might come back down," he expects that once we're up, we'll stay there. Get the stadium expanded ready for the Prem (he set a 2 year target I believe?) and then Derby are prepared for the bigger demand for tickets

Mel is throwing £millions at the academy and training ground - when finished it'll not be Premier League standard, it'll be as good as any of the big boys. That suggests that Mel is not intending to have much to do with the Championship in future years. As a Premier League club we would need a 40,000 seater stadium. In reality, what keeps you in the Premier League is money. If Mel is intending to bankroll us to that degree, it  makes sense for him to put the infrastructure in place as soon as possible. In fact the current economic situation makes building cheaper as there's not much development around. Waiting a couple of years might actually prove really costly.

PL status will be bank rolling PL clubs. The difference is how much a club want to put into their back pockets and how much they want to invest back into the club. Mel has splashed £20m on transfers alone this summer. Us having 10,000 more fans going to games in the PL is peanuts for a club that charges as little as we do compared to TV money. He can still make a significant return on investment even if he invests more of the clubs revenue back into the club when in the PL. However I do agree that it would be wise to invest sooner than later on infrastructure. A £15m signing can be a short term hit or miss. But infrastructure investments last decades. 

Archived