Announcement/Stadium Expansion?

needles

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think we'd struggle and I don't see Mel as being so cavalier to do it when we aren't there/only just got there (finger crossed).  We don't want knee jerk ideas being put into motion whenever the chairman feels it like those cockwombles up the road...

I don't know why you or others think that. We are in the Championship. In this league we have more games, we face teams like Rotherham and they bring just 1,100 or so fans with them on average. In the PL we face teams like Man U and Man City. We are averaging more than 29,000 at the moment. By the end of this season expect that to be closer to 30,000 than 29,000. In the PL we could get an attendance of 39,000 just as easily as we get 29,000 now. I think some fans underestimate our base simply because on a Tuesday night we can't sell out against some small town club that are probably more suited to league 1. 

Can see why people are saying 'wait till we're an established mid table Prem club,' but this is Mel Morris in charge now, not the Americans. He probably doesn't have the mind set of "we might come back down," he expects that once we're up, we'll stay there. Get the stadium expanded ready for the Prem (he set a 2 year target I believe?) and then Derby are prepared for the bigger demand for tickets

This has nothing to do with finances either. It's simply some people who think we would end up back in the Championship for eternity with a stadium we can't half fill. We won't. There are also easy ways around the sight of empty seats. 

Would hate to get a stadium expansion unless we'd had 4/5 seasons of mid/top half Premiership football. Nothing worse than playing in a half-full stadium when the bottom falls out and we end up lower Championships fodder again. 

Mel has consistently said that he is trying to sustain long term viability in the Premiership. The foundations for expansion of the horseshoe stand are already in the ground. An extension to the South Stand would be a piece of cake. It could be knocked up without causing any real disruption. a couple of million would be enough to crack out 3,000 more seats and if we get promoted it would pay for itself in no time. Next season,if we get promoted,  people will be complaining that they cannot see the games. Mel has this one covered in his mind. Either this year or next year the stadium will be bigger. Mel totally believes that the Rams are going up and staying up in the next two years.

If the stadium capacity is being increased I believe there is a strong argument for reducing season ticket prices. Barcelona and various German teams have them priced at a lot lower amount than most if not all Premier sides. They are playing to capacity crowds which, if this happened at Derby, we could too. 40000 with 30000 season tickets at maximum £350 would ensure this would be the case.Hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Mel has consistently said that he is trying to sustain long term viability in the Premiership. The foundations for expansion of the horseshoe stand are already in the ground. An extension to the South Stand would be a piece of cake. It could be knocked up without causing any real disruption. a couple of million would be enough to crack out 3,000 more seats and if we get promoted it would pay for itself in no time. Next season,if we get promoted,  people will be complaining that they cannot see the games. Mel has this one covered in his mind. Either this year or next year the stadium will be bigger. Mel totally believes that the Rams are going up and staying up in the next two years.

I believe that the stadium can be expanded up to 44,000 all seated with the original foundations and that will equal 20 rows (maybe 15) added to the horse shoe. But I have no idea if they can do it one stand at a time. Left to right or right to left. If they can then that's great. You could expand in stages and have minimal effect on matches. Also at some point in time there will be the ability to convert sections of stands to safe standing which can boost capacity significantly. Hopefully soon. 

I believe that the stadium can be expanded up to 44,000 all seated with the original foundations and that will equal 20 rows added to the horse shoe. But I have no idea if they can do it one stand at a time. Left to right or right to left. If they can then that's great. You could expand in stages and have minimal effect on matches. Also at some point in time there will be the ability to convert sections of stands to safe standing which can boost capacity significantly. Hopefully soon. 

Very good post, Uptherams.

If the stadium capacity is being increased I believe there is a strong argument for reducing season ticket prices. Barcelona and various German teams have them priced at a lot lower amount than most if not all Premier sides. They are playing to capacity crowds which, if this happened at Derby, we could too. 40000 with 30000 season tickets at maximum £350 would ensure this would be the case.Hope it happens sooner rather than later.

You could argue that he's already done that by announcing that this year's season ticket holders will pay no more next year - unless they move an age bracket.  That's not bad 10 games in

Mel Morris said that he had a responsibility to the community in Derby. This guy is exceptional. We are so lucky to have him but make no mistake, he is a top businessman.If he increases the capacity he will have sussed the viability of it first,

no point in expanding the ground at all, it is the perfect size for us as it is, we don't sell out for any of the gems as it is.... if we went up then we would ell out for the big games, but we won't even sell the current capacity for games against Watford, Palace, Swansea, Sunderland etc etc etc.... imagine if we did expand it to 44,000...then got relegate and ended up playing MK Dons at home with 20,000 empty seats.... awesome....

Think it's been on RD now - had this from a mate via his Derbyshire Mum:

"There is going to be a big announcement regarding DCFC at 6 p.m. tonight ".

I reckon Ronaldo and/or Bale on loan

Don't be daft! They're both signing 4 year deals with Carlo coming in as number 2

if we went up then we would ell out for the big games, but we won't even sell the current capacity for games against Watford, Palace, Swansea, Sunderland etc etc etc....

When we went up our lowest attendance was 30,048 almost knowing we was going to lose every week.

Very good post, Uptherams.

I am sure it's about 15 rows. The bottom section of the horse shoe bowl is 12 rows if I am not mistaken. Our design is based off Boro's. Which is 35,000. The more rows you add to the bowl, because of the corners, the number of seats per row increases. I am sure that it might be just 15 rows added to boost capacity by 10,500. Which is basically 3 rows more than the lower part of the bowl now. So that's what it would basically look like around the ground if people want to visualize it. But I am not entirely sure if it requires a new tier. I think it does and it would cover the last 3 rows or so of the current design. 

Archived