Super Paul Clement

Inverurie Ram

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we have a game where we have a complete 90 mins performance, what do we do with the ball if we control the game for 90 mins? Aimless passes across the back line non stop?

It means being in control of the game, it means when we have lots of possession - using it, make it count. It means defending solidly when we have to, it means closing teams down quicker, it means midfielders not sitting to deep, it means moving the ball around at a faster pace, it means players running off the ball [it may sound daft but running off the ball is as important as running with it]. 

It means we go for the win and not the point -  it means we play as a team.............

There are not many teams that are going to dominate an opposition for 90 mins, but there are teams that can control the game for 90 mins - Wolves game is an example.

We have had partial performances throughout nearly all games this season and usually involving ether 1st half or 2nd half,  -Wolves was the 1st game were we controlled the game and actually put in a performance in both halves. Yes, they scored 2, but they were are own making - we scored 4 and could have scored a lot more, we never ever looked like losing that game!

PC has said this week http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34642592 that we can still improve, he knows how good this squad is when compared to the rest of the championship sides.

1 hour ago, super rams said:

We are not debating Cloughie!

Over a 1/4 of the season has gone - isn't it that enough time to show context?

You condemned and sentenced Clement before his team stepped on the pitch for the first time. Nothing you have said since has convinced me that you are anything other than a troll.

Amazes me that 1 loss in 13, and we still argue. 

Yes some performances haven't been good enough. But only in that one loss have we been clearly outfought and outwitted. Maybe Uwe Rosler is the physical embodiment of that curse that was on the Baseball Ground. 

But what were you expecting? A team with 9 new faces, a new head coach, to win every game without lifting a finger?

Even Mel Morris thinks we are quite some way ahead of where he expected us to be, in terms of performances and results. You're saying you come from a time when Derby were super? Then surely you must know success, after such upheaval isn't instantaneous..

14 hours ago, richinspain said:

Years ago a manager, can't remember who exactly but I think it was Jimmy Sirrel, said that statistics are like a mini skirt. Very nice but hide what is really important!

Jimmy was in the same club as Brian Clough and Bill Shankly when it came to quotes. :-)

Sorry ignore that.

So in your mind a complete performance would be - 

Possession - approx 70%

Shots - approx 20

Shots on Target - 10 to 12

Opposition Shots - 0

Opposition shots on target - 0

Corners - 10 - 12

Opposition Corners - 0

Even Barca at their absolute optimum under Pep would struggle to play a game that perfectly.  The flow of games dictates that the opposition will always carve out one or two chances and have a period where they're 'on top' or competing at the very least.
With such sky high expectations you must be a bar-steward to live with.

It just shows some fans have no concept of what a team based campaign is truly like, the best performance on any given day is the one required to win the game depending on a range of factors. I've played in football sides where we've been the best team in the league and won it. But there were games where we didn't turn up, spent most of the game on the back foot and used experience and determination to get the win. Those were viewed as the most crucial victories come the end of the season.

This ideal view of a complete performance is quite funny to me, this is one of the most competitive leagues in the world. To expect dominant football all the time is seriously deluded.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

You condemned and sentenced Clement before his team stepped on the pitch for the first time. Nothing you have said since has convinced me that you are anything other than a troll.

You need to discover the wonderful world of ignore.

1 hour ago, super rams said:

As I said earlier, some on here don't like the facts, but they do speak for themselves.

And the facts are that we have lost one game this season and have won 6 out of the last 8 games and are steadily improving our position in the league.

Perhaps you should become Supercilious Ram.

22 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Going back to PC, I love the fact he used a powerpoint presentation to provide some stats, class.  I know @MuespachRam would've preferred a 5 min anecdote about Ronaldo, Bale, a flip-flop and a nun but i guess he won't please everybody.

You could not be more wrong as it happens....the very last thing I ever want in a manager is a "Harry redknapp/Tim sherwood" style manager... All I said was that I think Clement sounds like a school teacher and the power point presentation just highlights this  

and by the way.....famously, Sam Allardyce made a power point presentation for the England job......and you are happy that our manager is using similar techniques to Big Sam...? 

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You could not be more wrong as it happens....the very last thing I ever want in a manager is a "Harry redknapp/Tim sherwood" style manager... All I said was that I think Clement sounds like a school teacher and the power point presentation just highlights this  

and by the way.....famously, Sam Allardyce made a power point presentation for the England job......and you are happy that our manager is using similar techniques to Big Sam...? 

Certain aspects of Big Sam's approach, man management/sports psychology/pioneering the use of prozone are very popular with most clubs nowadays so I'd be concerned if we aren't mirroring some of them.  His long ball style of play, not so much...

20 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

So because Clement used a PowerPoint to get across some facts and figures to a busy room of interested listeners with different levels of understanding, he's to be compared to Allardyce as a manager?

Archived