Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Chris Mills

Yeah, but we will not catch Brighton:D

All teams will hit a low spell during the season ,either through injuries ,suspensions or a tough fixture list,don't see Brighton any greater threat than Middlesborough or Reading so believe we will continue to improve and climb the table ,Doubt Brighton will prove to be a Bournmouth as the season continues but hats off to them for such an incredible start will be surprised if they finish above Derby at the end of the season 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played better this game than when we beat them 5-0 last year.

Two soft soft goals to concede, but it seemd that sort of game didn't it? Bradley Johnson is an absolute beast. 

Johnson saw the danger for their first but was blocked off from going towards the ball, if it had been in midfield the ref would have given a foul.

They couldn't deal with Russell,every time he ran at them with pace they

panicked,he linked the play well,also.Him and Forsythe on the left nullified

any threat,in other games Wolves have relied on attacking down their right,

not today.

Can't agree with that. I prefer him to Warnock, but Forsyth got rinsed 2 or 3 times by Henry in the first half. Probably his worst performance for us this season. And Russell switching off was probably the main cause for their second.

The best individual performance I have seen for some time by a Derby player in Chris Martin and a great team performance.

Ince aside...he really is awful

Yes i'm afraid he didn't turn up today, tried, but not at the races. Hopefully he'll come good wednesday if

he's playing!!!

Johnson saw the danger for their first but was blocked off from going towards the ball, if it had been in midfield the ref would have given a foul.

Happens all the time in the penalties areas. While it was a soft goal to concede, got to give Wolves credit as it was an excellent goal from their point of view. The movement, delivery, intelligence to block and finish was all superb.

Second goal was poor though and came out of nothing. Overall we were the better team. That 20-minute period after half-time was utter domination and playing like that we'd give a few PL sides a run for their money.

I agree that the ability of this side is frightening. I think we have a chance to have a season like Reading had in 05/06 and Newcastle in 09/10. I hope I am not counting the Chickens to soon but I see this Rams side as every bit as good as the Reading and Newcastle sides that ran away with the title.

Can't agree with that. I prefer him to Warnock, but Forsyth got rinsed 2 or 3 times by Henry in the first half. Probably his worst performance for us this season. And Russell switching off was probably the main cause for their second.

Thought defensively our left side was poor. As you say, Henry had the beating of Forsyth more times than not.

Wolves were so basic though weren't they? They only ever attacked down the right side. Christie had literally nothing to do from a defensive point of view.

Every time the ball hit Martin it just stuck. Johnson was fantastic as well. Some of our passing was exquisite especially in the build up to Russell's goal. The scoreline flattered them to be honest. They scored from the only 2 shots on target they had.

Such a nice feeling to watch Derby control the entire game and win without really breaking too much of a sweat.

Too good for them.

The early goal prevented them from doing what they probably planned to do by parking the bus, and some of our play was just brilliant. Looked unruffled defensively apart from the soft equaliser, 5 minutes thereafter and the sloppy second goal. Those bits aside I  never felt threatened. Slick attacking play, despite Thorne being a mark below his usual superb best, Martin and Russell superb, telepathic interplay, Johnson immense, Hendrick showing superb skills at times, clinical finishing.

Good atmosphere, good gate, lovely pint, assured performance and bloody impressive all around. Well done Derby.

COYR.

I agree that the ability of this side is frightening. I think we have a chance to have a season like Reading had in 05/06 and Newcastle in 09/10. I hope I am not counting the Chickens to soon but I see this Rams side as every bit as good as the Reading and Newcastle sides that ran away with the title.

I would like to think so, but we have this annoying habit of coasting, once we get in front, we suddenly

stopped "ratting" and stood off, and so for 15/20 mins in the first half, and the same in the second, it felt

like they could pull level with a bit more effort.

Teams that stand out are the one's that never take their foot off the pedal.

After saying this - I'm not complaining cause we won, and looked good doing it, wolves looked

a beaten team today, Boro and Brighton might be a different matter thou.

I really enjoyed that.

credit to wolves who played football and were neither cynical nor dirty. I always fear a repeat of the wigan tactics of time wasting and intimidation.

great block by shackell, tremendous performances by johnson, russell, and martin.

Gary bowyer was Watching. Hopefully we carry it on at Blackburn.

If we had paid £20 million for Martin as a new signing, every Derby fan would have said it was money well spent judging by what I would term a world class performance in the first half. Any Premiership manager might have thought that we could do with a player like him.It is difficult to imagine how Bradley Johnson could have been any better than today. He has the style to turn any potential loss into a draw and any potential draw into a win.The last time that I heard that phrase was when Howe was talking about Igor. Make no mistake, this is a better team than McClaren had here. We have got Will Hughes to come back and a few million to spend if we need it. I just cannot see us losing games this season. If we cannot beat a team one way then we can beat them another way. Once again, we have to think, 'Where do we stand without Martin? Keogh is twice the player that he was last season. The bench looks formidable, never mind the team!  Bradley Johnson is the difference. He controls the game by destroying midfielders, he can defend and attack. He has immense strength. Reminds me of Viera at his best. Johnson is a potential legend at Derby. He is at exactly the right club at the right time. Highlight of the day for me was 'Sir' Mel Morris in his scarf with the smile of his life. Today was the type of day that he wanted to enjoy at Derby County and the reason that he bought Derby County. Enjoy your day Mel. We all did. COYR

What an entertaining match and a fine display by the mighty Rams

wolves are a powerful skilled team so I saw this as a real test. Our players have now been together a few matches with a settled starting core and good confidence following recent results. This was the game that needed to be won convincingly. The whole team stepped up and did their job in fine style. 

That wolves no7 Henry is quick, dangerous and can cross. He gave Fozzy a work out and I am not going to get on anyone's  back because his opponent was a good player. They had a right old give and take. Ince worked hard but off his game a bit. Johnson was a brilliant engine room .. That dink over the top for Martins second was joyful, controlled class. Hendrick was raiding and moving forward as he used to do and looked a real threat. He was almost a side by side front man with Martin in the first half.  Martin .. As someone said earlier .. Best game in a Derby shirt. Sweat, control courage and skill. Their front line were dangerous and on the occasions they came forward did manage to pull Keogh and Shacks about a bit but they stood tall.. JR .. Is JR .. None stop dervish of the whirling variety. Reborn Cyrus continues. Thorne solid and impressive but not quite his peerless best. Carson makes me feel comfortable which is what a goal should do. 

You could grumble about their goals but to be frank this was a sporting contest and they turned up to play football so deserve some credit for their efforts ... Just not as good, consistent or skilled as ours hence only one winner DCFC ! 

I can only see us getting better so have that squidgy warm feeling inside when things are on the up.

We seem to be getting our passing game back.Some of our passing interplay

was a treat to watch,can't wait to get Hughes and Bryson back to add more

penetration and create more chances.We need to pressurise teams out of

the game like we used to.The starting 11 today is a good basis to build from.

What an entertaining match and a fine display by the mighty Rams

wolves are a powerful skilled team so I saw this as a real test. Our players have now been together a few matches with a settled starting core and good confidence following recent results. This was the game that needed to be won convincingly. The whole team stepped up and did their job in fine style. 

That wolves no7 Henry is quick, dangerous and can cross. He gave Fozzy a work out and I am not going to get on anyone's  back because his opponent was a good player. They had a right old give and take. Ince worked hard but off his game a bit. Johnson was a brilliant engine room .. That dink over the top for Martins second was joyful, controlled class. Hendrick was raiding and moving forward as he used to do and looked a real threat. He was almost a side by side front man with Martin in the first half.  Martin .. As someone said earlier .. Best game in a Derby shirt. Sweat, control courage and skill. Their front line were dangerous and on the occasions they came forward did manage to pull Keogh and Shacks about a bit but they stood tall.. JR .. Is JR .. None stop dervish of the whirling variety. Reborn Cyrus continues. Thorne solid and impressive but not quite his peerless best. Carson makes me feel comfortable which is what a goal should do. 

You could grumble about their goals but to be frank this was a sporting contest and they turned up to play football so deserve some credit for their efforts ... Just not as good, consistent or skilled as ours hence only one winner DCFC ! 

I can only see us getting better so have that squidgy warm feeling inside when things are on the up.

Excellent summary Jono.COYR

That was a cracking game, really enjoyed it.

Negatives: Caught out massively for the Afobe goal and it was lazy defending for the second. Henry had Fozzy on toast for the first half an hour.

Positives: All of the rest of it. Martin was an absolute monster today, a performance as intelligent as it was powerful. Bradley Johnson is a class act. He is a nightmare for the opposition midfield, a Wolves mate of mine text me "Johnson is a nasty *******, would love him on our side" which says it all. Russell was a constant pain in the arse and as always we look a much more composed side with Thorne holding it all together. Keogh and Shackell have been ever present and looking really effective together and Christie continues to improve week on week.

Clement got it spot on today as well, he has been caught out a couple of times tactically in my opinion but he nailed it today.

Excellent work all round.

Archived