Derby County v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Chris Mills

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a photo :wub:

QNQr5jP.jpg

Just watching the match on record, didn't notice Shackell at all during the match really, however watching it back he was absolutely IMMENSE!!!! Totally dominant, man mountain 

That moment in the second half where he brought it down on his chest in the air. Majestic.

Just watching the match on record, didn't notice Shackell at all during the match really, however watching it back he was absolutely IMMENSE!!!! Totally dominant, man mountain 

We were saying that after the game, he just got on with his job without trying to do anything spectacular and that gave others the freedom to play.

Martin thoroughly deserved MOTM and he is our talisman, Russell is a fans favorite, Thorne is an absolute privilege to have when fit (tho not at his silky best today) but I do think Johnson could become a legend here, his strength, workrate, skill and LEADERSHIP was all on show today,  but his goal celebration was a big message of how happy he is to be here and he certainly has endeared me to him :wub:

Just watched the sky highlights .. Wanted particularly to see Bradley's pass to Martin for his second. Watching the game I thought it was  just a good footballers instinct but seen again it is pure genius .. The pair of them set it up .. Not far off telepathic .. You can see Bradley seeing Chrissy and Chrissy seeing that he's seen him then an invisible psychic nod and he plays the ball .. "Football bl**dy hell" ... Love it ! 

I wasn't even most impressed with Martin's first today. His interplay was at its peak today, and it has been lacking hugely this season. Compare his performance today against his one against MK Dons, different planet. First time his overall game has shone. Some of the flicks he pulled off today, especially linking with Russell was simply sublime. It's always the passes that fans can easily spot in the terraces, but it takes a very, very special player to execute like he does.

7 goals already as well, only one off the top scorer. 20+ looking inevitable again if he stays fit 

I'm amazed some people think Thorne played poorly.  Watch it back, see how he constantly nicked the ball from what might have been threatening positions.  Time and again I would think 'this looks dangerous', only for Thorne to time his tackle to perfection and send us back into attack.  I think people may have missed his usual zipped pass into the front players, but Thorne nullified so many Wolves attacks with pure CDM quality that without him there it would have looked like a monumental hole. 

I wasn't even most impressed with Martin's first today. His interplay was at its peak today, and it has been lacking hugely this season. Compare his performance today against his one against MK Dons, different planet. First time his overall game has shone. Some of the flicks he pulled off today, especially linking with Russell was simply sublime. It's always the passes that fans can easily spot in the terraces, but it takes a very, very special player to execute like he does.

7 goals already as well, only one off the top scorer. 20+ looking inevitable again if he stays fit 

I was busy writing my own message metaphorically "spanking it" to Martin's performance when your post appeared and said everything I wanted to. That header was unreal. A chipped ball at that height with no pace behind it is easy pickings for the goalkeeper, Martin had no right to get there first. It was a really brave and instinctive piece of play.

It would have been a perfect 10/10 if he'd converted the penalty for his hat trick.

Interesting to hear Martin after the game. He spoke of getting our first win for a long time was definitely a monkey off our backs and then later about the influence of Kevin Phillips on his own performances. The confidence in the team is certainly starting to show and as others have said, the players have the confidence in each other. Another great thing is Clement demanding the best from his players, no doubt in my mind that he has their complete respect.

The problem with Thorne is the stupidly high standards he has set, I was shocked when he gave the ball away! If every player in this team played at their best at the same time we'd be in-fecking-credible.

Get excited about this season.

I was busy writing my own message metaphorically "spanking it" to Martin's performance when your post appeared and said everything I wanted to. That header was unreal. A chipped ball at that height with no pace behind it is easy pickings for the goalkeeper, Martin had no right to get there first. It was a really brave and instinctive piece of play.

It would have been a perfect 10/10 if he'd converted the penalty for his hat trick.

Absolutely. It's easy to blame the keeper but 9/10 strikers don't go for that ball, nevermind convert it in between all those players.

Lets hope the skipper can keep this level up! 

Looks like the BBC report was written by a Wolves fan. Here are some examples, talk about sour grapes:

"Le Fondre's looping volley, from substitute Sheyi Ojo's knockdown, sneaked in despite home keeper Scott Carson getting his fingertips to it.

It made up for the penalty shout Wolves did not get before the break when his goalbound shot was blocked by former Wolves defender Jason Shackell's elbow.

Benik Afobe's equaliser was his third goal in two games

Added to that, the home side's second goal could have been ruled out as Martin levered himself into the air off Kortney Hause's shoulders.

And Johnson knew little about the third goal, which hit his outstretched left boot after Wolves failed to clear the Russell corner which resulted from Martinez saving Martin's penalty, awarded for Danny Batth's foul on Tom Ince."

Looks like the BBC report was written by a Wolves fan. Here are some examples, talk about sour grapes:

"Le Fondre's looping volley, from substitute Sheyi Ojo's knockdown, sneaked in despite home keeper Scott Carson getting his fingertips to it.

It made up for the penalty shout Wolves did not get before the break when his goalbound shot was blocked by former Wolves defender Jason Shackell's elbow.

Added to that, the home side's second goal could have been ruled out as Martin levered himself into the air off Kortney Hause's shoulders.

And Johnson knew little about the third goal, which hit his outstretched left boot after Wolves failed to clear the Russell corner which resulted from Martinez saving Martin's penalty, awarded for Danny Batth's foul on Tom Ince."

Ged Scott - worked at the Birmingham Post for 9 years and 9 months according to LinkedIn. The Birmingham Post distributes throughout the whole of the West Midlands according to Wikipedia. Nice one BBC.

Probably not that much of a Wolves fan though, as Ince didn't get fouled.

During the BBC live blog of the game, there was a Wolves representative co-commentating who works for the BBC and it was his words they were feeding through on the live blog.

Some of the comments were embarrassingly biased, and I assume it's the same bloke who has written up the final match report.

He wrote that Wolves should have had a penalty for handball against Shackell. That's probably the worst claim for handball I've ever seen.

It was blasted at a turning body from two yards away and struck his elbow which was locked to his side. The only way that wouldn't have struck his arm is if he simply didn't have one.

Yes, he clearly needs practice on how to stop those pesky keepers making brilliant saves.

poor spot kick

he said so himself.

i'd get charlie george to show him next time he's here.

Yes, he clearly needs practice on how to stop those pesky keepers making brilliant saves.

Was at a nice height, not far enough in the corner and lacked power. Was still an excellent save, I've certainly seen worse penalties. But from 12 yards out, I expected a little better.

Amazing the psychology in penalties though. You can pass the ball to a players feet all day long from 12 yards without ever misplacing one, yet when it comes to penalties you can't find the corners.

I remember watching Spain in the Euros/WC take penalties against Portugal I think it was. Iniesta, Busquets, Fabregas etc. all took them as if it was a 12-yard pass. Right in the corner and unstoppable for the goalkeepers.

You would think George Thorne would be a good penalty taker wouldn't you?

Archived