Cyrus

North_Stand_Ram

He did much much better last night and was a real threat going forward and pretty sound defensively but he is still no where near as dangerous as he was early on last season.

i liked him from word go last season and thought we had unearthed a gem but he so obviously has a big confidence issue. He could have blitzed them last night but pulled back from a number of overlapping forward runs in the first half when the opportunity to accelerate past their left back was begging. I think he has real ability but I am not sure he believes he is as good as he could be. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justifying it for the Boo-Boys club then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34324107

Cyrus Christie: Derby County defender says he 'deserved flak'

Derby County defender Cyrus Christie has admitted he deserved to get criticism for his performances at the end of last season and has struggled to deal with being dropped.

Christie impressed in Tuesday's 0-0 draw with Burnley but is not head coach Paul Clement's first choice.

"Last season the confidence was low. The team took a knock and I took a lot of flak," he told BBC Radio Derby.

"But I deserved the flak because I wasn't really at it. It's been tough."

Clement has made summer signing Chris Baird captain and Christie has made only four starts from nine games so far this campaign.

"I have played games and then been out of the team and it has been hard, I can't lie," Christie, 22, added.

"My head has been all over the place and it has been hard to take, but it's part of the development and when the opportunities are given I have to take them.

"A few of the lads have spoken to me about what I need to do and how to keep my head and it is working for me. I am feeling good in training and the Burnley game was one of my best games for a while.

"I have come back in and although I wasn't involved at the start of the season, I need to keep going and keep improving and hopefully I can claim that right-back spot."

Another very impressive performance from Christie I thought. Defensively solid and a couple of good attacking moves from him, great to see him thriving again.

Today he had a tricky winger to deal with in Murphy but I thought he handled him well for the most part, including a couple of great tackles. Aside from Carson, he was my MotM today.

Long may this form continue!

Yes good to see him back playing well. I remember feeling really sorry for him last season as his poor form seem to reach a peak at Fulham away. He was shocking that day and one of the worst Derby performances I've seen for a long time, he just looked devastated as he left the pitch at half time, he never came back out. 

Confidence makes a huge difference, hopefully he can keep improving as the season goes on. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the Christie who played today compared to the one who played in the 4-4 last season, completely unrecognisable. Got torn a new one and looked terrified to go forward then, dominant up and down the wing now.

Clearly a massive confidence player and for me, best right back in the league on his day. Remember some saying he'd be our third choice right back in pre-season.

Watching the Christie who played today compared to the one who played in the 4-4 last season, completely unrecognisable. Got torn a new one and looked terrified to go forward then, dominant up and down the wing now.

Clearly a massive confidence player and for me, best right back in the league on his day. Remember some saying he'd be our third choice right back in pre-season.

Unfortunately under 5's are also allowed to post

I agree Alpha .. One minute he seems all swagger and skill and then occasionally seems to scare himself and get hesitant. Even in his recent resurgent form I have seen a couple of times a "pause for thought" when every gut instinct should have been saying "take him on . Hit the bye line . You've got the beating of him"  

at the start of last season he was my favourite player .. Then it all fell apart. But with the right team mates around him and good management I think we are going to see him get better and better. Self belief is an amazing tool. 

Archived