Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying it's what should happen in football, but teams such as Chelsea have transformed the economic model. They must have something like 20+ youngsters out on loan at various clubs. Most will never get near their first team, but a lot will command respectable fees.

For our academy to become revenue-generating we need to be in the Prem. We've done well to loan the likes of Roos and Rawson out into the same division as us, but if we were a league higher then the top Championship teams would start looking at our players. For instance, if we were there now, then I suspect we'd be able to loan Calero to one of the very top Championship teams and give the lad a no-risk chance to make an impact. Maybe some others too.

In the end, as a Premier League team we could use the Championship as the testing ground for our youngsters, keep the standout performers and sell those that only do OK for reasonable fees. Loaning lower down the leagues doesn't work nearly as well, as we've found with Bennett and Calero recently. Let's hope it's better for Thomas.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's an academy in the world where most the players there go on to play for the first team. None. 

We're trying to produce good players. For us and for money.

Should we not bother? 

It's a rhetorical question when our reigning poty came to us as a kid. 

It's not about who performs. They are all growning physically and ability at different rates. The biggest and fastest lads are going find they can bully it a bit. You're not looking for performers. You want fast thinkers, fast learners and lads that read the game well. Even if they're behind a bit physically and aren't imposing themselves yet. They might develop a way to deal with it like Hughes. Or they might simply beef up. While physical lads like Callum Ball find that they're caught up.

There's so many different routes these players can go. I don't know why people always want to see them dropped in the deep end. Let them grow up into young men. Let professional coaches decide whether that player needs to go out on loan to taste the real pressure and pace and power of playing professional football at the highest levels or if he just needs to stay where he is because he's steadily ticking along. 

Some lads hit a brick wall. They don't learn or they lose the appetite for learning. They lose patience. They have lost their physical advantage or they simply fail everytime they get the pressure/chance of a breakthrough for reasons nobody understands. 

So how does this reflect at all on the money spent on the academy? Most players from academies never make it. You've changed your opinion. That's not what you originally said.

I'm not going to convince you, I don't think you even know what you're trying to say any more. So it's not worth continuing on about this.

You need to discover the wonderful world of ignore. It's lowered my blood pressure 15 points.

Some comments from Mel in regards to the academy:

Despite nine quality additions added to the playing staff, Morris firmly believes Derby’s Academy has a major role to play in the short and long term future of the club.

The club has made significant strides to improve its facilities not only to bring Derby within the Category One Status guidelines last summer, but to help inspire the stars of tomorrow.

As it stands, Morris is keen for Clement, the Derby Head Coach, to have three academy players within his first team squad.

Morris, though, does not just want to bring players through for the sake of it – he wants the Rams’ first team to be made of 50 per cent of their academy graduates within the next five years.

He added: “I’m very committed to what we need to do, but I’m also aware of the fact that there is a problem is always getting the cheque book out and getting a player in. 

“The role for Paul today is to improve the players that we have in the building, but to have the depth that you need to be successful is important. 

“That is something that we have spoken about, namely, how do we develop the academy at this football club. 

“The last two seasons has seen us drastically raise the bar of the standard of football that we are playing at and that makes it tougher for the academy players to break into the squad. 

“We have made a commitment that Paul will aim to have at least three academy players in the squad.

“We expect to see them used, we expect to see them play and develop. Having that depth, hopefully, will see us not being held hostage to injury this season and in the future.

“That’s something we have to do. I was up at the Training Centre not so long ago talking to some of the academy coaches. 

“We are all aware of the EPPP (Elite Player Performance Plan), which is a great initiative by the Football League to try and get more professionalism and standards into the academy environments. 

“We need to be going even further than that, though. The kids need to be inspired and we need to bring them into the environment where they are really motivated because we want to find the next Will Hughes or even Jordon Ibe who we had on loan last season. 

“These are the types of players that we want to be producing. To do that, you need good facilities and over the last few months we have put a significant investment into the academy. 

“It’s no good just doing that, though, we don’t want to become a club that is producing players just to sell them on, it’s not just a business, we are trying to bring players through to the first team. 

“My goal over the next five years is that at least 50 per cent of our first team will have academy players in it. That’s just one player each year and we are there.”

You need to discover the wonderful world of ignore. It's lowered my blood pressure 15 points.

I don't like to ignore people. I like to see all posts regardless of who posts them. Besides, it's not nice to 'ignore' anybody as a basic rule of manners.

I don't like to ignore people. I like to see all posts regardless of who posts them. Besides, it's not nice to 'ignore' anybody as a basic rule of manners.

I used to think that. However to misquote Morrissey, why should I spend valuable time reading certain posts when i would much rather stick myself in the eye 

Derby County U21s 2-1 Swansea City U21s (Max Lowe, Ivan Calero)

4-4-2 diamond.

Jonathan Mitchell [6] - Isak Ssewankambo [6], Ethan Wassall [6], Tom Koblenz [6], Max Lowe [8] - Charles Vernam [5] (Alefe Santos [7]), Callum Guy [5], Ivan Calero [7], Alban Bunjaku [8] (Kellan Gordon [-]) - Offrande Zanzala [5] (Shaquille McDonald [-]), Mason Bennett [6]. Subs not used: Devlin Mackay, Alex Cover.

Derby County U21s 2-1 Swansea City U21s (Max Lowe, Ivan Calero)

4-4-2 diamond.

Jonathan Mitchell [6] - Isak Ssewankambo [6], Ethan Wassall [6], Tom Koblenz [6], Max Lowe [8] - Charles Vernam [5] (Alefe Santos [7]), Callum Guy [5], Ivan Calero [7], Alban Bunjaku [8] (Kellan Gordon [-]) - Offrande Zanzala [5] (Shaquille McDonald [-]), Mason Bennett [6]. Subs not used: Devlin Mackay, Alex Cover.

Koblenz at the CB? Has he played there earlier?

Koblenz at the CB? Has he played there earlier?

Yes. He's played CB in every U21 game I've seen this season.

With Hanson in the first team squad, and Rawson out on loan, the U21s are short of CBs. Ethan Wassall usually plays alongside Koblenz with Alex Cover on the bench. Both Wassall and Cover are U18 Academy players.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the U21 game tonight at the iPro. Beat Fulham 3-0 with goals from Calero, Pearce and McDonald. I was surprised there wasn't more people there. 

Koblenz< Bennett and Hanson all played well on the night. Ssewankambo was awful defensively.

It will be interesting to see how the older U21 players who aren't making the First team squad like Santos and Bunjaku see out this season. I can see a loan or two being set up soon.   

Yes. He's played CB in every U21 game I've seen this season.

With Hanson in the first team squad, and Rawson out on loan, the U21s are short of CBs. Ethan Wassall usually plays alongside Koblenz with Alex Cover on the bench. Both Wassall and Cover are U18 Academy players.

Any top quality reports from you on this one Stuart? I was in Birmingham or I would have been there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived