Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

It is raining goals, hallelujah - Derby County U21s 6 Newcastle U21s 4

Scoring went 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-3, 5-4, 6-4., Newcastle down to 10 men on 75 mins.

Derby goals by Bennett, Bryson, Zanzala, Calero, Zanzala, Calero, Probably not the right order!

Team -Mitchell, Santos, Stabana, Vernam, Guy, Buxton, Bryson, Bunjaku, Zanzala, Bennett, Calero.

Subs - Macdonald,Mackay,Cover,Elsnik,Edwards

Buxton played for 60 minutes and was steady. Bryson completed the match and was very effective, scored a good goal from 12 yards.

Good start for 15 minutes by Newcastle, who scored first, then Derby dominated with some excellent passing but managed to let three more goals in, including a penalty, a flap by Mitchell and some loose play. A ridiculous number of potential goal scoring opportunities and attempts on goal. We should have won by more, by scoring more goals and a bit of defending would have helped. They scored from nearly all their chances. Their centre forward, Ivan Toney was a good prospect. We are trying Santos at fullback and Vernam did well in midfield. No Koblenz or Lowe today. Zanzala has the strength of two men, he is a complete nightmare at this level. He simply bursts past or through you. A long time since I saw player so keen to score. Definitely a player of quality for he future. No bad performances. With Hanson and Rawson, it would have been 6-0. A joy to watch the passing and running. Very entertaining afternoon out on a nice day. Wonderful atmosphere down at the Academy.

Kenny Jacket and Glen Roeder there today. No sign of Schteeve but Beardsley was there. Seemed to be crawling with scouts and agents.I saw Will Hughes, They reckon about the end of March for him. He was wearing half studs and wedges on his boots when he had the accident. Ince had got some sort of brace on his ankle but should be ready for the weekend. Everybody that I talked to today, agreed that the defensive strategy of the first team is the way forward. Any young player that turns up at the Academy is going to be mightily impressed. COYU21R

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wassall seems to want to get the U18s in the U21 side. Seems to be working extremely well so far.Reading who pipped us to promotion last year are third in Division One this year.

Newsflash - Buxton played for 45 mins. Macdonald came on and I think, Cover. 

Thanks for the summary Rampage. Top man. Pleased for the Bryson and Zanzala. Be nice to see Bryso play this weekend ... He's probably the spark that will ignite the goal scoring! 

Hi Ninos, I think it will be another week before Bryson is in contention. This is a difficult side to get into now. Great isn't it.

U21 Standings

DIVISION 2
Position of CLUB            p w d l gf ga gd pts
1   West Brom U21         8 5 3 0 10 4 6   18
2   Derby County U21   8 5 1 2 19 10 9 16
3   Arsenal U21               5 5 0 0 14 5 9  15
4   Swansea City U21     7 4 1 2 14 7 7   13
5   Aston Villa U21          7 4 1 2 6 8 -2    13
6   Fulham U21              8 4 0 4 8 10 -2   12
7   Blackburn U21          7 3 1 3 9 9 0      10
8   Wolves U21              8 2 1 5 10 13 -3   7
9   Stoke U21                 8 2 1 5 4 9 -5      7
10  Newcastle U21        7 1 3 3 12 15 -3   6
11  West Ham U21        8 1 1 6 12 19 -7   4
12  Brighton U21           7 1 1 5 3 12 -9     4

Darren Wassall Appointed Derby County’s Academy Director

Darren Wassall has taken up the position of Academy Director at Derby County with immediate effect.

The 47-year-old has been promoted to Derby’s Executive Team to fall in line with his increased corporate responsibility.

The former Derby defender, who made over 120 appearances for the Rams between 1992 and 1997, was appointed as the club’s Academy Manager in 2009 and will continue to retain the responsibility of that role.

During Wassall’s tenure, a number of players have progressed from the Academy to become established first-team squad members.

These include Jeff Hendrick, Will Hughes and Jamie Hanson from the current first-team set-up while Mason Bennett, Kwame Thomas, Mark O’Brien and Callum Ball have all made their professional debuts in recent years for the Rams.

Wassall also helped oversee the club achieving Category One status for the Academy in the summer of 2014.

Derby County Chairman Mel Morris said: “Darren Wassall is someone that I have known for many years and he is an extremely talented and passionate man, ideally suited to the role of Academy Director.

“Darren is a natural motivator constantly looking to motivate, develop and improve his players and staff on how to succeed.

“He has a huge interest in youth development and is also a very talented coach, which is why we felt it is important that he retains his coaching responsibilities to continue the excellent progress he and Pat Lyons are making with our Under 21 side.”

Derby County’s President & Chief Executive Sam Rush said: “I am at the Training Centre most days with my work commitments and I have seen the Academy develop impressively, especially in the last 12 months with the backing of Mel Morris to take things even further.

“I know the majority of the focus from the outside is on the first-team and the results on the field but we should be, and are, very proud of our Academy.

“We are lucky to have such a dedicated and passionate man in Darren Wassall leading the Academy and he is rightly regarded as one of the leading figures in Academy football in this country.

“The quality of the set-up is incredible and it must be a fantastic place for players to go to every day to do their work and continue their football development.

“It’s an exciting time for us and the Academy and the Training Centre is at the heart of all that, which sits at the very top of the finest places for players to go to work.”

He added: “With my son part of the Academy I have seen Darren at work from a parent’s perspective and it has really opened my eyes to the values he has impressively instilled across the Academy.”

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/darren-wassall-appointed-derby-countys-academy-director-2773352.aspx

Darren Wassall is now Academy Director. 

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/darren-wassall-appointed-derby-countys-academy-director-2773352.aspx#qsG0A1K59mq24u8b.99

Darren Wassall has taken up the position of Academy Director at Derby County with immediate effect.

The 47-year-old has been promoted to Derby’s Executive Team to fall in line with his increased corporate responsibility.

The former Derby defender, who made over 120 appearances for the Rams between 1992 and 1997, was appointed as the club’s Academy Manager in 2009 and will continue to retain the responsibility of that role.

During Wassall’s tenure, a number of players have progressed from the Academy to become established first-team squad members.

These include Jeff Hendrick, Will Hughes and Jamie Hanson from the current first-team set-up while Mason Bennett, Kwame Thomas, Mark O’Brien and Callum Ball have all made their professional debuts in recent years for the Rams.

Wassall also helped oversee the club achieving Category One status for the Academy in the summer of 2014.

Derby County Chairman Mel Morris said: “Darren Wassall is someone that I have known for many years and he is an extremely talented and passionate man, ideally suited to the role of Academy Director. 

“Darren is a natural motivator constantly looking to motivate, develop and improve his players and staff on how to succeed.

“He has a huge interest in youth development and is also a very talented coach, which is why we felt it is important that he retains his coaching responsibilities to continue the excellent progress he and Pat Lyons are making with our Under 21 side.”

Derby County’s President & Chief Executive Sam Rush said: “I am at the Training Centre most days with my work commitments and I have seen the Academy develop impressively, especially in the last 12 months with the backing of Mel Morris to take things even further.

“I know the majority of the focus from the outside is on the first-team and the results on the field but we should be, and are, very proud of our Academy.

“We are lucky to have such a dedicated and passionate man in Darren Wassall leading the Academy and he is rightly regarded as one of the leading figures in Academy football in this country. 

“The quality of the set-up is incredible and it must be a fantastic place for players to go to every day to do their work and continue their football development. 

“It’s an exciting time for us and the Academy and the Training Centre is at the heart of all that, which sits at the very top of the finest places for players to go to work.”

He added: “With my son part of the Academy I have seen Darren at work from a parent’s perspective and it has really opened my eyes to the values he has impressively instilled across the Academy.”

Archived