Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost 1-0.

Bunjaku hit the bar mid way through the second half.

That was Offrande Zanzala. Bennett hit the post in the first half. 

They were a much older, experienced and expensive team and we should have one. Missed so many chances. They missed a few too tbf.

Like the look of Zanzala, Vernam and Koblenz. 

Where were you sat Eddie? WE were near the entrance, in front of Tommy Johnson and Adam Murray. 

Would be nice to put a face to some posters.Maybe dcfcfans could  meet up in the place where they serve drinks at half time at St George's at the next match and introduce themselves.

Would be nice to put a face to some posters.Maybe dcfcfans could  meet up in the place where they serve drinks at half time at St George's at the next match and introduce themselves.

I take it you were there then too? Whereabouts?

Where were you sat Eddie? WE were near the entrance, in front of Tommy Johnson and Adam Murray. 

I wasn't there. All I did was pick up a couple of updates from the official site and post them on here. Probably explains why I got a name wrong - senility kicking in.

Jared Bird is a second year scholar in the Academy. He is a midfielder and played at the base of the midfield diamond tonight, although when I saw him play for the U18s in pre-season he had a more advanced role in midfield. 

Not sure if today was his U21 debut or not but it's the first time I've seen him play at this level.

As Rampage says, excellent report on U21 match by Stuartsays, much more informative than the official dcfc report. Not for the first time, Stuart awards Ivan Calero MOTM. I'm intregued by Calero. When the players reported back at the end of June, he started training with the first team squad (along with Hanson, Ssewankambo and Rawson), played the first 45 minutes in the first pre season friendly against Grimsby, and by most accounts gave a good account of himself - and then nothing. He didn't go to Holland, and didn't train with the first team again. Although I don't want to see him sitting on the subs bench without coming on as he did for McLaren in the first half of last season, what has the lad got to do to move into contention for the first team?

I agree with you Kendalram. I think Calero has a lot more competition in the first team squad in his position (primarily an attacking midfielder) than, say, Ssewankambo did at RB and Hanson at DM. I think Hanson only got a chance in CM because of the injuries to Hughes and Bryson.

Can't see Ssewankambo featuring at RB this week because he wouldn't of played last night if he was in contention for Middlesbrough and I'm not sure they'd play him a full 90 minutes if he was being considered for Birmingham. With Tuite on the bench last night there was a ready made sub at RB had they wanted to give Ssewankambo a bit of a rest.

Wouldn't surprise me if Calero was making the numbers up until Martin was back and ready to play. Pretty clear Clement sees a 23 man squad as ideal - two for every position plus a third goalkeeper.

Thanks Stuart a useful insight in U 21's. The problem is Calero isn't making up the numbers at the moment - he hasn't been given one! Perhaps he should be sent out on another youth loan until January ( like Rawson and Thomas) - although not to either Blackpool or Notts County IMO.

Maybe there's something about Calero that they're seeing that we're not. Perhaps some sort of tendency he has that they really want to coach out of him before they put him in the first team. I remember saying this about Tom Naylor when Clough signed him and Naylor seemed to do well for the U21s and in the first team appearances he made. I thought "maybe they know something we don't". Turns out they knew he wasn't very good in actual fact.

Not writing Calero off as 'another Tom Naylor' or anything. Nothing of the sort. Just think that they know more about him than we do so we'll wait and see.

Only thing that strikes me about Calero is that he can look a little lightweight. Great technique and instinct for goal, but possibly too easily brushed aside. Maybe they're trying to build him up before he gets another go? Not seen him this season - any signs he's working hard in the gym?

Archived