Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young keeper Matt Yates (Academy Player of the Year) is off with the England U17s this week: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/matt-yates-targeting-england-under-17-success-this-week-2649225.aspx

Congratulations to him.

Will he help us get to the Premier League lol or will that be Carson .

Some players do well at 17 then fade away I hope he does well  .

PS How's Mason Bennett doing these days ! 

People seem to think the academy can produce enough players for us but where's the evidence. 

I'd argue that Hendrick and Hughes show that the academy can produce good players for us... I personally think Hanson has look class in the matches he's played too... 

My point was more that your comment has ZERO relevance to the OPs comment... He was talking about an academy player doing well at academy level IN THE ACADEMY THREAD... Nowt to do with this season...

I'd argue that Hendrick and Hughes show that the academy can produce good players for us... I personally think Hanson has look class in the matches he's played too... 

My point was more that your comment has ZERO relevance to the OPs comment... He was talking about an academy player doing well at academy level IN THE ACADEMY THREAD... Nowt to do with this season...

Hendrick only partly came through the academy as did Hughes .

Hendrick was signed from Ireland and Hughes was I believe in the Forest academy first off correct me if I'm wrong as was Huddlestone. 

Hanson has come through but he's still learning and he is a CB first off .

Derby are trying to make Hanson a midfielder and we will see how he develops as he's only had a handful of games in the first team so far  .

Mason Bennett came through the academy but he's gone backwards ,

Not even Calero can break through and we have the likes of Banjuka and Koblenz who are not breaking through .

Question .Who is the RB is it Lowe he's not getting near the first team either. 

I suggest all this money on a class 1 academy is not reaping rewards yet. 

What is your definition of coming through the academy though? Hughes turned up at age 12 and became who he is today. Hendrick turned up at 16 and became who he is today. Do you think they both arrived as established Championship midfielders?! Give our academy coaches some bloody credit.

Your argument makes no sense in any case. You complain that our academy isn't bearing fruit yet but we've only just become Cat 1, and that'll take many years (since you insist that they're not "full" graduates of the academy unless we plucked them away from their parents moments after birth). Judge it in maybe 10 years.

What is your definition of coming through the academy though? Hughes turned up at age 12 and became who he is today. Hendrick turned up at 16 and became who he is today. Do you think they both arrived as established Championship midfielders?! Give our academy coaches some bloody credit.

My point is they already had the basics and natural ability because you need that to be a footballer as did Huddlestone. 

The academy staff can only do so much with players and it's ultimately up to the player himself .

Nigel Clough was good with the academy but he could only do so much as can Wassall.

Mason  Bennett has gone backwards but I don't blame the academy staff as I think he's had every chance as has Lowe and Lelan etc. 

Hendrick and Hughes and Huddlestone came on at Derby that's true. 

How many more are coming through I mean we let RB Hendrie go and that's after playing for U21s for a long time point being they can't all be successful at Derby but could flourish elsewhere. 

My point is they already had the basics and natural ability because you need that to be a footballer as did Huddlestone. 

The academy staff can only do so much with players and it's ultimately up to the player himself .

Nigel Clough was good with the academy but he could only do so much as can Wassall.

Mason  Bennett has gone backwards but I don't blame the academy staff as I think he's had every chance as has Lowe and Lelan etc. 

Hendrick and Hughes and Huddlestone came on at Derby that's true. 

How many more are coming through I mean we let RB Hendrie go and that's after playing for U21s for a long time point being they can't all be successful at Derby but could flourish elsewhere. 

Absolutely loads. I'll miss out the more recent foreign lads and newer guys like Shaquille McDonald because you'll only say they don't count. They do count, but let's forego that.

Zanzala, Guy, Vernam, Cover, Bird, Wassall, Lowe, Tuite, McDonald (Calum McDonald that is), Stabana, Gordon, Babos. And lets not forget the current man of the moment, England U17 international Matt Yates.

Add that to Bennett, who most of us aren't writing off yet, Thomas, Hanson, Rawson and then all those foreign lads. Calero, Santos, Ssewankambo, Koblenz, Bunjaku etc...

How can you say they're not breaking through when we've had at least one or two new youngsters in the side every year. Last year was Thomas and Hanson for a few games. Now this season Hanson looks like one of the first teamers by all accounts, Ssewankambo doesn't look far behind, and Calero found himself a spot on the bench for Birmingham. Let's not forget that Calero and Santos both saw cup action last season and Calero impressed with a goal against Charlton last year.

No, you won't see the category 1 money bear fruit yet. It'll take another season or two before you see the Moor Farm renovations make differences to those players I've already mentioned. Then maybe in 10 years time you can see if our Cat 1 status has allowed us to pull in better youngsters at earlier ages. Tell Mel he's wasted his money in 2025 if you really want to.

Please just take a moment to think before you type and you wouldn't have to defend these poorly thought out things you say.

I've seen all these players .

None are good enough yet .

You are part of the club I know it ain't you. 

Of course they're not good enough yet! Nobody expects them to be!

I am part of the club, season ticket holder. Lifeblood of DCFC ;)

Of course they're not good enough yet! Nobody expects them to be!

I am part of the club, season ticket holder. Lifeblood of DCFC ;)

Your missing the point here. 

Hendrie was a young lad playing at RB and we let him go and he was doing as well as the others in the U21s .

A lot of the U21s are just prospects and move on don't they to lower leagues  .

Lowe, Bennett, Guy ,Lelan ,Rawson Wassall  ,Banjuka ,Koblenz ,Zanzala etc are nowhere near the first  team niether is Calero .

McDonald is nowhere near either as you mentioned him  

Who do you want to see in the first team now then apart from Hanson and the Chelsea RB  

Hendrick only partly came through the academy as did Hughes .

Hendrick was signed from Ireland and Hughes was I believe in the Forest academy first off correct me if I'm wrong as was Huddlestone. 

They both spent formative footballing years in the academy... therefore are from the academy... Hughes joined from Mickleover Jubilee...

Hanson has come through but he's still learning and he is a CB first off .

Hanson is whatever position the management decides he's best to play... He's like 5' 10', slight of build and an excellent passer of the ball and has an engine on him... the fact that he was a CB at 12 has NOWT to do with what he'll be as a 25 yr old...

BTW his first team profile on the OS lists him as a Midfielder... i THINK the club might know a BIT better than you what position he is...

Mason Bennett came through the academy but he's gone backwards ,

Not even Calero can break through and we have the likes of Banjuka and Koblenz who are not breaking through .

Bennett is 19 and the others are 20...

Just because a lad of 20 isn't ready for first team football at the top of the championship doesn't mean he's NEVER going to be... Many players take years to develop to the level they have the potential to achieve...

Plus... 3 of those guys have only been with the club for a single year...

Your missing the point here. 

Who do you want to see in the first team now then apart from Hanson and the Chelsea RB  

No YOU'RE missing the point of an academy... You bring through young players until they develop to be good enough for the first team... or they don't and they leave...

Just because an academy player isn't good enough YET doesn't mean they're never going to be...

They both spent formative footballing years in the academy... therefore are from the academy... Hughes joined from Mickleover Jubilee...

Hanson is whatever position the management decides he's best to play... He's like 5' 10', slight of build and an excellent passer of the ball and has an engine on him... the fact that he was a CB at 12 has NOWT to do with what he'll be as a 25 yr old...

BTW his first team profile on the OS lists him as a Midfielder... i THINK the club might know a BIT better than you what position he is...

Bennett is 19 and the others are 20...

Just because a lad of 20 isn't ready for first team football at the top of the championship doesn't mean he's NEVER going to be... Many players take years to develop to the level they have the potential to achieve...

Plus... 3 of those guys have only been with the club for a single year...

No YOU'RE missing the point of an academy... You bring through young players until they develop to be good enough for the first team... or they don't and they leave...

Just because an academy player isn't good enough YET doesn't mean they're never going to be...

Hughes and Huddlestone were at Forest Academies and yes Hughes did play for Jubilee as all kids have a local side first. 

Hendrick came from Ireland and learnt his trade there first. 

My point is if they are not good enough for the Championship at the moment they go out on loan or join lower league teams. 

Who is good enough for Derbys first team now or even the bench.

We have Kawame out on loan he was on the bench last season and Rawson maybe who's at Rotherham and Roos who is not doing too well is he on loan. 

Ive always praised Hanson but he still has to step up in midfield and do it week in week out I hope he can do it but its a lot to ask at the moment. 

Archived