Hughes replacement

ColchesterRam

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of the way Hughes plays, a possible replacement short term could be Tom Carroll, however he has been disappointing recently for the clubs he's played for. I'd like to see somebody like Adlène Guedioura from Palace. He was a machine against us last season for Watford at PP.

I like the Guedioura idea. I don't ever want to see Tom Carroll within 100 miles of the IPro ever again. One of our worst ever players when he was on loan under Clough.

I think that's a bit unfair. He was playing in a poor team back then and didn't look great, a la Eustace in his first spell.  

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the lads who performed well for the u21's last season given a chance, but if the opportunity to bring in a really good replacement came our way then we should take it. I guess the current Hughes role in the diamond would suit either of Calero, Bunjaku, Guy or maybe even Koblenz. Maybe they'll get their chance at Portsmouth this week.

The majority of lengthy injuries for all of football occur in the first few games of the season / the first few games after a lengthy time off. That's just when the body of the players is the weakest. Especially innocuous injuries. Obviously, breaks caused by tackles/collisions occur at any time.

Don't think it reflects anything on Derby at all.

Doesn't reflect on Derby in any way.. I am just pointing out an observable fact. that both occurred at the start of the seasons. Players may be more susceptible at the beginning of the season to these types of injuries.for reasons that clearly lie outside of my expertise.

I think that's a bit unfair. He was playing in a poor team back then and didn't look great, a la Eustace in his first spell.  

You know I don't normally like to say ANYTHING negative about Nigel's time at the Rams, but for me that was one of his biggest mistakes during his time here.

We were in good shape and looking likely to push on, then we brought in the highly rated Tom Carroll and the wheels literally fell off.  The fact we kept playing him to try to bed him in ruined the season.

The amount of times he got disposessed or played a weak pass on the edge of our own area was actually quite frightening

He might be stronger now but I still don't see anything in him that makes him stand out. It was the fact Sherwood rated him SO highly that makes me doubt Sherwood's nouse.

In my opinion Carroll is not on the same planet as Will Hughes, not for passing, not for vision, not for work rate, not for holding onto to the ball and not for intelligence.

I may eventually be proven to be a poor judge but I doubt it.

But Bryson and Hughes are 2 completely different types of players, should we not have backup for both?

We have lost 2 people who play in the same position.

Judging by their selection on Saturday they are you first choice in that position.

We only have only player who is ideally suited to that position in Hendrick.

Our other people who could play there are more suited to the DCM role like Baird and Hanson or more to suited to playing behind the CF like Dawkins.

Therefore it is reasonable to suggest that losing both players for a period of months increases the need for a replacement to be brought in.

Are you suggesting that to attain promotion we should play someone out of position or promote an U21 player with no first team experience rather than bring someone in who is suited to that role.

At this point can I refer you to the last 12 games of last season when we lost Thorne/Eustace/Mascarell in one position and Bent/Martin in the another.

We tried to manage with what we had.

How did that go?

Pritchard isn't a Hughes or Bryson replacement though, at least not if we're going to stick with the diamond 442.  Pritchard's more suited to where Ince is playing.  The same with Dawkins.  I could see either of them working in the middle of a 433 like we were playing last season (with Hendrick and Thorne), but not in this formation, where there's a lot more discipline and defensive work required.

If we did somehow manage to get Pritchard (I doubt it), Ince could move back out onto the right where he's most effective, Pritchard could play behind the striker and Weimann/Russell could play on the left. Or Weimann play behind the forward (He's said he prefers playing through the middle) as Pritchard has played plenty of times on the left wing throughout his career

The only issue then is the holding mid spot along side Thorne. Either Hendrick would have to play there (if he's up to it), Baird plays there and we sign a new right back/hope Christie improves or we sign another holding mid

If we did somehow manage to get Pritchard (I doubt it), Ince could move back out onto the right where he's most effective, Pritchard could play behind the striker and Weimann/Russell could play on the left. Or Weimann play behind the forward (He's said he prefers playing through the middle) as Pritchard has played plenty of times on the left wing throughout his career

The only issue then is the holding mid spot along side Thorne. Either Hendrick would have to play there (if he's up to it), Baird plays there and we sign a new right back/hope Christie improves or we sign another holding mid

Regarding the holding midfield spot like others have said I'd like us to sign Guedioura next to Thorne

Archived