Hughes replacement

ColchesterRam

Regarding the holding midfield spot like others have said I'd like us to sign Guedioura next to Thorne

I said the same but if we were to sign Pritchard like some have suggested, he wouldn't be cheap so would we realistically be able to sign both him and Guerdioura and still abide the FFP rules? I'm not too sure

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think playing Hughes/Bryson alongside Thorne was more just a constant suggestion from people on here. I've not seen that as part of Clement's plans, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting that losing Hughes means that we have to get a defensive midfielder in...

I think playing Hughes/Bryson alongside Thorne was more just a constant suggestion from people on here. I've not seen that as part of Clement's plans, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting that losing Hughes means that we have to get a defensive midfielder in...

Because we've seen Clement try the 4-2-3-1 in pre season. We currently have 3 holding mids, Thorne, Baird and Hanson (Although Clement has been using Hanson in a more advanced role). If Baird is to continue at right back we surely need at least 1 more holding mid either to partner Thorne in 4-2-3-1 or be backup in case Thorne does get injured or need a rest

Because we've seen Clement try the 4-2-3-1 in pre season. We currently have 3 holding mids, Thorne, Baird and Hanson (Although Clement has been using Hanson in a more advanced role). If Baird is to continue at right back we surely need at least 1 more holding mid either to partner Thorne in 4-2-3-1 or be backup in case Thorne does get injured or need a rest

Did Clement play Hughes there though? My point is why has Hughes getting injured mean we need a replacement CDM. I'm sure a best as possible like-for-like replacement would make more sense. 

We have lost 2 people who play in the same position.

Judging by their selection on Saturday they are you first choice in that position.

We only have only player who is ideally suited to that position in Hendrick.

Our other people who could play there are more suited to the DCM role like Baird and Hanson or more to suited to playing behind the CF like Dawkins.

Therefore it is reasonable to suggest that losing both players for a period of months increases the need for a replacement to be brought in.

Are you suggesting that to attain promotion we should play someone out of position or promote an U21 player with no first team experience rather than bring someone in who is suited to that role.

At this point can I refer you to the last 12 games of last season when we lost Thorne/Eustace/Mascarell in one position and Bent/Martin in the another.

We tried to manage with what we had.

How did that go?

Just because they play midfield does not mean that they 'play the same position'. Hendrick and Hughes are very different players and I would expect that the club should have cover for both players or be able to adapt the system to them both being injured at the same time.

I am suggesting that if every time a starting 11 player gets injured we go any buy or loan another player that it is pretty pointless us having a squad of 20 something players.

If we are not going to promote u21 players then why bother having an u21 team, at what point in time are they going to have first team experience if they are kept out of the team by new signings/loan players?

Did Clement play Hughes there though? My point is why has Hughes getting injured mean we need a replacement CDM. I'm sure a best as possible like-for-like replacement would make more sense. 

No he didn't, but regardless I think we need another holding mid especially if Clement sees Baird as our main right back this season. We don't necessarily have to replace Hughes with someone like him, there aren't many around and most would cost large amounts. We could sign someone like Guedioura or Bridcutt who can play along side Thorne in holding mid or in centre mid in the diamond system depending on which Clement elects to play. They aren't as good as Hughes at dictating play but they're both better defensively

I worry that there's a lot of talk about defensive midfielders after a game where we failed to create many chances...

We've just lost one of our 'game changing' players... there are NOT many of those around... We need to bring one in...

WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!!

Just because they play midfield does not mean that they 'play the same position'. Hendrick and Hughes are very different players and I would expect that the club should have cover for both players or be able to adapt the system to them both being injured at the same time.

I am suggesting that if every time a starting 11 player gets injured we go any buy or loan another player that it is pretty pointless us having a squad of 20 something players.

If we are not going to promote u21 players then why bother having an u21 team, at what point in time are they going to have first team experience if they are kept out of the team by new signings/loan players?

But they do play in the same position if we play 433 or 442 diamond. That is a fact. Baird and Christie are different players but both play right back. Buxton and Shackell are different but both play CB.

The whole point i was making is we look to have lost TWO players not ONE player. If we had lost one player there is a case for not seeking a replacement.

U21 players need to be brought in in the right way. They need to come on as sub, make league cup appearances, perhaps go out on loan. Not just shoved in for 4 months to play every week after a dozen U21 games. 

If William is out for more than 4 months then we need a player who is good enough to push him to a first team spot when he is fit. So the replacement has to be good enough to be a starter in the first place.

Hopefully both Hughes and Bryson won't be out that long.

Owen Bradley says we will know about the injury tonight. If it is long term I can see us loaning a player in. We did last year with Thorne out, and I expect we would again with Hughes out.

Guess BBC RD and Nicholson already in the know, SN said the same

Without wishing to point out the obvious (although here I go!) the thing about losing Hughes is that there are are not a lot of players (especially outside the top divisions in Europe) who have his attributes and play the way he does.

His vision, creativity and technical prowess set him apart in the Championship. For those reasons I think a 'like for like' replacement is extremely unlikely due to the scarcity of that kind of player available within our (likely) budget.

Still, it will be interesting to see the club's next move...

We've had terrible luck with our midfield, Thorne out last season, now potentially Hughes, not good.

I've always thought the Hughes, Thorne and Hendrick/Bryson midfield was our ticket to success. If it's as bad as feared almost two years could pass and they will have barely played together. 

If you just want 'capable bodies' to fill out the squad then yeh fine...

But we can't replace our BEST midfielder with someone from the u21s (ie, not yet good enough for the first team squad)

BTW Hanson and Ssewankambo seem to have been considered good enough for first team squad duty and they've come up... Sometimes they just need a little extra time to develop...

Archived