Our day with Mel Morris

Day

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Mel could find a cheapish way to show previous Derby County matches at the IPro with a pie, chips and peas plus pint package for Derby fans. Obviously a Derby County Sky Channel is too big a project but a pilot match to test the water might be the way forward.Looping it through the day might also work to the Club's advantage..

I wonder if Mel could find a cheapish way to show previous Derby County matches at the IPro with a pie, chips and peas plus pint package for Derby fans. Obviously a Derby County Sky Channel is too big a project but a pilot match to test the water might be the way forward.Looping it through the day might also work to the Club's advantage..

Will there be a vegetarian option?

• 3 weeks later...

Mel isn't just a shareholder or chairman, he's a fan and he wants us up there as much as we do and it shows.

I know we need to get promoted first but am I being a bit too optimistic in hoping that we might be pushing for a Europa League place in a few year's time?

Mel isn't just a shareholder or chairman, he's a fan and he wants us up there as much as we do and it shows.

I know we need to get promoted first but am I being a bit too optimistic in hoping that we might be pushing for a Europa League place in a few year's time?

behave, people read this forum from other clubs.

• 4 years later...
3 minutes ago, sage said:

Someone today liked a post a made on this thread 4.5 years ago.

What a surreal experience reading through this again. 

Real trip down memory lane. 

I do wonder how a team with Shackell, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Thorne , Ince, Vydra, Carson and Johnson along with a solid chorus line of Keogh, Russell, Weimann Martin and Bent didn't steamroller this division.  Injury to an extent may have played a part and possibly better full backs . Even so .

On 17/06/2015 at 18:03, David said:

Just want to say a huge thanks to Mel for inviting us down and for being really open and honest with us regarding recent events on the forum, turns out we can call him an ******** but to be fair it's not the case at all.

Seeing as this thread has popped up.

What does this mean

Was Mel trolling the forum?

Irrespective of how old this thread is,still an interesting read and some valid points, concerns mentioned.

I hold Mel in very high esteem ,irrespective of our success on the pitch, he has continued to develop the club's infrastructure, commercial ability whilst trying to implement improvements within the managerial core and better players..Let's hope Mel's tenure is still in  its infancy and he achieved success.

14 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Irrespective of how old this thread is,still an interesting read and some valid points, concerns mentioned.

I hold Mel in very high esteem ,irrespective of our success on the pitch, he has continued to develop the club's infrastructure, commercial ability whilst trying to implement improvements within the managerial core and better players..Let's hope Mel's tenure is still in  its infancy and he achieved success.

Hang on, when did this happen?

17 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I do wonder how a team with Shackell, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Thorne , Ince, Vydra, Carson and Johnson along with a solid chorus line of Keogh, Russell, Weimann Martin and Bent didn't steamroller this division.  Injury to an extent may have played a part and possibly better full backs . Even so .

Didn’t sign to the system. Pedigree is irrelevant  if you can’t play passing football. Shackell couldn’t pass. Vydra was the season after anyway. Bent was only ever cover. Weimann just ran a lot. Johnson was sloppy in possession.

On 17/06/2015 at 20:10, Alpha said:

The most reassuring thing for me is he spoke about having a philosophy in place. Everyone that comes into the club has to fit into that philosophy. Mel was dead keen to talk about leadership. About setting the right example. 

He's a Derby fan. He is a Derby fan too. If he spoke about something he didn't like then he'd call it ****. He's come in, put his money where his mouth is and has a goal in mind. No nonsense 

And it's not this Tom Glick global brand. He's setting "The Derby way". A style of football from the kids to the seniors. A specific type of player brought in. A specific type of coach. Leaders are important to him. 

Think I realised that a certain amount of... meddling? (need a better word) is neccessary to avoid any upheaval. For Derby to run like a well oiled machine you need to have parameters set. So where this manager or that player might be available, he has to fit in. No manager will come in and rule it. Like Mel said, he can't. It needs to be a smooth running vehicle and nobody has the time or skills to cover everything. Certain things will be put in place. Certain codes and certain people doing the jobs they're good at. 

Mel Morris is dead set on this Derby way. You look around the facilities, listen to him talk and realise what he's putting into it, him and others. Paul Clement wasn't brought in to lead the way. He just conforms to it. Lots of cogs all turning the same way. They won't stop without Clement and they didn't stop without McClaren. 

That's not to say hes taking power. He's letting everyone do what they can do but they have to fit. 

Clearly, we strayed a long, long way away from 'the Derby Way' for a few years. But a lot of this, and particularly the parts I've bolded, are very relevant today.

Archived