Our day with Mel Morris

Day

Did anyone think to ask if Mel could take over from Ramblur on analysing the accounts and posting updates under a new thread....? Would be a good opportunity to fill in the gaps/guesstimates and even update us on post balance sheet events ?

ramblur has a wealth of data to hand over, but may have already been passéd to Diagram ?

ps ...hope you are well Ramblur and you can safely conclude "the purse strings" are relaxed, if indeed they still even exist 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If AA had been living in the area,I guess he might have been more vocal,but he seemed to let the locally based Glick talk on behalf of the administration for the most part.

If MM had been vocal whilst an ordinary director,I might have been a bit alarmed,but he wasn't.I seem to remember the Sky guy calling him quiet and even sleepy. It's only upon his elevation to chairman that he's started to exercise the vocal chords,but what do people expect,after all you should expect a chairman to communicate. I bet if he'd stayed silent and kept all of the plans to himself,some fans would have been complaining about a lack of visibility and information.

If things go pear shaped I'm sure he'll probably get plenty of flak ; conversely,should things go well one would hope he'd get a bit of credit. For my part,I'll wait and see what transpires before becoming in any way vocal (just as I would with new signings).

Did anyone think to ask if Mel could take over from Ramblur on analysing the accounts and posting updates under a new thread....? Would be a good opportunity to fill in the gaps/guesstimates and even update us on post balance sheet events ?

ramblur has a wealth of data to hand over, but may have already been passéd to Diagram ?

ps ...hope you are well Ramblur and you can safely conclude "the purse strings" are relaxed, if indeed they still even exist 

Very good,Igor (particularly impressed with PBSE). Unless I missed something,I seem to remember nearly £8m of purse string relaxation in 14/15. I passed on my best wishes to Diag Ram,but forgot to ask him if he was mad:D.

Couldn't possibly pass the job on to Mel,as he'd find it far too boring.Much more fun when there are unknowns to try and get at somehow.

Not too bad at moment,and thanks for asking.

If AA had been living in the area,I guess he might have been more vocal,but he seemed to let the locally based Glick talk on behalf of the administration for the most part.

If MM had been vocal whilst an ordinary director,I might have been a bit alarmed,but he wasn't.I seem to remember the Sky guy calling him quiet and even sleepy. It's only upon his elevation to chairman that he's started to exercise the vocal chords,but what do people expect,after all you should expect a chairman to communicate. I bet if he'd stayed silent and kept all of the plans to himself,some fans would have been complaining about a lack of visibility and information.

If things go pear shaped I'm sure he'll probably get plenty of flak ; conversely,should things go well one would hope he'd get a bit of credit. For my part,I'll wait and see what transpires before becoming in any way vocal (just as I would with new signings).

MM stated that whatever happens he knows he'll be judged on what happens on the pitch - that's why he wants to do everything he can to make sure we do well!

MM stated that whatever happens he knows he'll be judged on what happens on the pitch - that's why he wants to do everything he can to make sure we do well!

Igor will judge him on his accounts analysis:D

Surely the fact that he is so vocal tells you he's willing to put his love spuds on the BBQ and set himself up for the fall if it all goes wrong? At least it's not like some clubs out there who have silent chairmen who never show their faces to avoid getting stick for their decisions. MM is doing what he's doing and is brave enough to publicly stand by those decisions. Surely that's more admirable than making decisions without explanation or justification? Not every vocal chairman is a Fawaz. There's only one Fawaz to be honest and he's a maniac so don't worry about MM being anything like him.

Where some of you see suspicion in his bold openness, I prefer to see confidence in his own convictions, which is an important trait for any chairman of any business. I'd be concerned if he timidly avoided the public eye. At least he's got nothing to hide.

I've been calling for a proper system and philosophy for years. Looks like MM is the type of guy I'd want at my club. I'd love to meet him, and go to the stadium and have a look around.

I'm back in the UK for six days in September.

hint hint

stadium tours cost £8

One thing I did think about after the initial feeling of the meeting wore off was this.

Mr Morris was showing us the new larger gym, the new pitches, the extended land that had been bought etc.  Mel has been involved with the club before and was one of the League of Gentlemen.  Did he think this last time he was here?

i guess having loads of money helps you see things that need improving and if you have the means, I think we are lucky to have him, hope he continues to see things that need improving behind the scenes for the long term.

I didn't assume anything. I explained in what situation I would have a problem, then asked whether this was the case. Given the cameras are his idea, it's not unreasonable to have concerns over his involvement.

Are you worried that he will be putting his playing boots on soon too? After all wasn't the ipro replica pitch his idea?

From my perspective, I work in a company where we have different parts of the business run separately with their own agenda and it is now an unwieldy mess.

In this thread I can see a strong chairman who is taking on a similar situation and addressing it so we have all areas pulling in the same direction.  

For me, if recording the approach of the coaches etc. gives the leadership team an understanding of how they need to modify their approach and ensure that the same message and philosophy is being followed, it bears a much greater chance of young players assimilating into the first team without their being a jarring impact to their environment.

It all makes sense to me and updating the club root and branch would be an obvious solution for long term success.

My only concern would be that Mel Morris keeps a good group around him in the board room to prevent him from letting his black and white tinted glasses getting the better of him.

I thought the club was being well run anyway .

We only just missed out on the Premier League in the playoff final and then at one stage last season we were top of the championship by 5 points. 

Sometimes we forget how good it was. 

But hey I'm hoping the new ideas that we are being told about will be successful .

I think a change was needed but let's just keep it in perspective .

I thought the club was being well run anyway .

We only just missed out on the Premier League in the playoff final and then at one stage last season we were top of the championship by 5 points. 

Sometimes we forget how good it was. 

But hey I'm hoping the new ideas that we are being told about will be successful .

I think a change was needed but let's just keep it in perspective .

maybe its just the final l touches are needed to make it an exceptionally run club and not just well run.

Mel has been involved with the club before and was one of the League of Gentlemen.  

which one was he? 

Edward or tubbs?

this is a local club for local people. We'll have no shouting here.

Still waiting for the invitation Mr Morris!

Put me in the "I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member" camp.

Archived