Giles Barnes

matty1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Given Barnes scored the winner against USA in the Gold Cup semifinal last night:

http://sport.bt.com/video/barnes-beauty-gives-reggae-boyz-edge-91363993995634?s_intcid=con_BTS_HP_CarAsset

I thought it might be interesting to post this article on him from Sports Illustrated: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/21/gold-cup-jamaica-giles-barnes-houston-dynamo

I especially liked the quote: “Where people get mistaken is they think England is the be-all and end-all for football,” Barnes continued. “It’s not. There’s so many other places in the world, so many different leagues you can experience. To find a place you can call home outside of home, that’s how I feel right now. I go to training every day with a smile on my face. I come to my national team full of pride and joy and an excitement to play football every day.”

After his injury nightmare I'm happy for him that it looks as if he's pulled through and is playing well again. I hope he stays in the US as it's a great place to live if you're making decent dosh.

Given Barnes scored the winner against USA in the Gold Cup semifinal last night:

http://sport.bt.com/video/barnes-beauty-gives-reggae-boyz-edge-91363993995634?s_intcid=con_BTS_HP_CarAsset

I thought it might be interesting to post this article on him from Sports Illustrated: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/21/gold-cup-jamaica-giles-barnes-houston-dynamo

I especially liked the quote: “Where people get mistaken is they think England is the be-all and end-all for football,” Barnes continued. “It’s not. There’s so many other places in the world, so many different leagues you can experience. To find a place you can call home outside of home, that’s how I feel right now. I go to training every day with a smile on my face. I come to my national team full of pride and joy and an excitement to play football every day.”

After his injury nightmare I'm happy for him that it looks as if he's pulled through and is playing well again. I hope he stays in the US as it's a great place to live if you're making decent dosh.

He will never reach his potential but im happy that he has found his feet at a club and country

• 1 year later...

Another one that Nixon got right.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/giles-barnes-reveals-how-he-almost-made-sensational-return-to-derby-county/story-30356258-detail/story.html

The interest from us was as far as I could see only reported by Nixon. But because it didn't happen a lot of you thought it was false. 

For me it is obvious that Nixon has had a very good source inside the club. Maybe that source is no longer with the club (as there hasn't been many rumors from Nixon regarding Derby lately).

42 minutes ago, MelSage said:

Another one that Nixon got right.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/giles-barnes-reveals-how-he-almost-made-sensational-return-to-derby-county/story-30356258-detail/story.html

The interest from us was as far as I could see only reported by Nixon. But because it didn't happen a lot of you thought it was false. 

For me it is obvious that Nixon has had a very good source inside the club. Maybe that source is no longer with the club (as there hasn't been many rumors from Nixon regarding Derby lately).

Rush and Nixon sitting in a tree....

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Wow, Giles paints a completely different picture of Billy from the one I heard, where Billy knackered his career by playing him while knowing he was injured..

He also played Seth and knackerd his career. But it was the playoffs.  No one complained at the time.

On 6/16/2015 at 01:27, RLACML said:

We (Billy) screwed him over by playing him injured so I wouldn't be against giving him a second chance in England. Ain't happening though.

IS this bloke ever coming back.I know Angry has.

3 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

He also played Seth and knackerd his career. But it was the playoffs.  No one complained at the time.

IS this bloke ever coming back.I know Angry has.

RMACML must be Mel, one disappeared when the other emerged!

On 5/26/2017 at 20:44, Woodley Ram said:

What a waste excellent of a player better than Hughes in my opinion . He should have had a better career 

Injuries can't be helped.

Still, you look at Bale, who emerged in the same season, and can't help but think 'what if'.

As much as I liked Barnes as a player and am glad that he now seems to be doing well - I find it difficult to feel bad for a guy who pee'd his talent up the wall believing his own hype - I know it's difficult for young footballers to keep their feet on the ground sometimes but it's equally difficult to feel bad for him - If he'd worked as hard as most of the young players at Derby seem to these days he'd been a solid Premier League player by now

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

As much as I liked Barnes as a player and am glad that he now seems to be doing well - I find it difficult to feel bad for a guy who pee'd his talent up the wall believing his own hype - I know it's difficult for young footballers to keep their feet on the ground sometimes but it's equally difficult to feel bad for him - If he'd worked as hard as most of the young players at Derby seem to these days he'd been a solid Premier League player by now

I think he knows that if you read his latest interviews. He comes across as a pleasant young man and seems very happy with his career in the USA these days. Thing is, this all happened ten years ago and he is still only 27? 

I wish him well.

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

What did he do to "pee" it up*? I thought it was the injuries that ruined it?

*Genuine question, I seemed to miss a lot of what happened at that point some how. 

I've watched pretty much all of Orlando City's games this season and after a promising start to his career, he hasn't done a lot else. He's very much the Giles Barnes we all saw play for Doncaster - just older. 

0 goals and only the 1 assist in 13 appearances so far. A lot of the Orlando fans are getting on his back already questioning his work rate for the team and end product.

I think he's just happy to be living it up with the sun on his back over in the states, whilst sat on a healthy $780k salary, and can anyone really blame him?

Archived