Giles Barnes

matty1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Where did this idea come from that Barnes' stupid celebration means he wants a phone call from his agent?

Derby fans - on here, @Alpha Signia for one. Special mention too to @davenportram who said the same thing on here (not bookmarked - just Googled it now). Saying that, lots of people accepted it as true because there were all sorts of 'Clough doesn't want him' rumours at the time.

My granny always used to say that the true definition of "Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred" was...

"Strong in  t'arm and weak in t'ed".

I see that nowadays the accepted saying is "quick in t'ed".

I think my granny was right.

Derby fans.

My granny always used to say that the true definition of "Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred" was...

"Strong in  t'arm and weak in t'ed".

I see that nowadays the accepted saying is "quick in t'ed".

I think my granny was right.

​I think in Mr Barnes' case it may be "Fleet of Foot and Slow of Mind..."

As a case in point, I am on public record as saying the following...

I was a huge admirer of Giles Barnes - until his second goal celebration at Old Trafford in the League Cup semi-final when he made his "Call me" mime. I decided before yesterday's game that win, lose or draw, yesterday's OOE rot would be dedicated to (as my fellow hack on RamZone described him) the "Mercurial Wanderer".

I think maybe he's done his punishment time... failed Premier League push... Out in the dark at Donny... shipped off to the deep south... If the management/scouting/acquisition wing of the club thinks he can do a job then maybe we welcome him back into the fold...

It's not my place to say who Derby should have as a manager, a coach or a player. It is, however, my place to support anybody 100% if and when they pull the famous black and white on (physically or metaphorically), whether that be Eddie Thomas, Kevin Hector, Brian Clough, Mikkel Beck, Conor Sammon, Phil Brown, Colin Todd, Andy Todd or Giles Barnes.

If he ever comes back to play for Derby, he will be roundly applauded and cheered by this old duffer.

As a case in point, I am on public record as saying the following...

I was a huge admirer of Giles Barnes - until his second goal celebration at Old Trafford in the League Cup semi-final when he made his "Call me" mime. I decided before yesterday's game that win, lose or draw, yesterday's OOE rot would be dedicated to (as my fellow hack on RamZone described him) the "Mercurial Wanderer".

​I was taken in too. When I was told the celebration was a call me mime, I had no reason not to believe it. Since then I've seen two videos that have made me question that interpretation. First was the goals compilation posted early in this thread where he does the same celebration on several occasions. Secondly I actually watched the celebration in question from the Man United game. Either Giles Barnes has an incredibly strange method of talking on a mobile phone (claw grip and constantly rotate the phone back and forth through 90 degrees for the duration of the call) or we've read too much into a daft goal celebration.

​Ahhhhhh fond memories... I'm fairly sure he came with his own clown car right?

I must of been the only kid with Beck 25 on a shirt my dad made me have it because he d only just signed and said he wasn't getting me a name of someone who might be leaving over the summer haha

I recently saw Giles play  in Houston whilst over there on a work trip and he was the best player on the pitch. MLS is (in my opinion) on par with the Championship and I think he'd be a decent signing when you consider how little he'd cost compared to a player from elsewhere in the division.

I also think that one or two are being a little harsh on the lad. I seem to remember a different player to others; he was fantastic at 19 years of age and he's still only in his mid twenties. 

I'd give him a go again. I wouldn't be paying anything though, way too much of a risk! Possibly a loan deal. If he's shifted that awful amount of arrogance he had then that would help.

The season we went up, I was coming up East street to go to hmv and he just walked through me. Like as if everyone should move for him!

I must of been the only kid with Beck 25 on a shirt my dad made me have it because he d only just signed and said he wasn't getting me a name of someone who might be leaving over the summer haha

​Send it in to the club... Think it should be framed and stuck on the wall somewhere... 

Loved him as a kid, seemed to think he was Ronaldo/Messi quality at 19

Was secretly upset his career went down the pan...

But with reports saying he is a changed man..... Im happy for him to return

BUT THEN PARKING HIS LAMBO WITH THE "HELL YEAH" LISCENSE PLATE AT THE FRONT OF THE iPRO (NOT EVEN IN A PARKING BAY... IN THE MIDDLE) it still confirms to me he is a **** and I don't think he has changed.

Archived