SIGNED: Andreas Weimann

Ambitious

Andreas Weimann signing prediction  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks Ambitious for those stats.  I hope clement knows what this guy is like and does not just go on Chris Evans recomendation. I think we have some dodgy scouts out there going by what wehave signed recently

Well Mo Camara is head of European scouting, so yeah...

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​The point I made originally is that McClaren was sacked because we ultimately weren't promoted. A suggestion you argued with at length, only to finally come back the point that he wouldn't have been sacked had we gotten promoted.

Anyone would think you like arguing.

​I don't think you you understand what you're trying to argue here. So let's just clear that up:

- Are you suggesting that it was unfair for him to be sacked for what happened?

- Are you suggesting that the Newcastle speculation should come into consideration or not?

- Are you suggesting that the playoffs are equivalent to being promoted? 

With hindsight, he (and Agbonlahor) were made to look better than they were by Benteke, who created huge amounts of space by often occupying two centre-backs.

​One of the more pertinent (to us) parts of your post appears to be the bit people have ignored.

With the amount of space created by Chris Martin, it could just be that Weimann turns out to be the perfect foil.

TobyWanKenobi

​I don't think you you understand what you're trying to argue here. So let's just clear that up:

- Are you suggesting that it was unfair for him to be sacked for what happened?

- Are you suggesting that the Newcastle speculation should come into consideration or not?

- Are you suggesting that the playoffs are equivalent to being promoted? 

​You're just trying to draw this thread further and further off topic aren't you?

I said McClaren was sacked for us finishing where we did, you started crying about it and WONT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

​You're just trying to draw this thread further and further off topic aren't you?

I said McClaren was sacked for us finishing where we did, you started crying about it and WONT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

​You seem a bit upset. I'm note entirely sure why. 

Anyhow, you've not answered any of the questions. But you have clarified that you think that he was sacked for finishing 8th, while my point was it was far more complicated than that. To put it in simple terms for you though:

- I don't think he'd have been sacked had it not come by means of us having literal relegation form for more than a quarter of the campaign

- I don't think he'd have been sacked if he showed some commitment in the face of the Newcastle speculation, or if it had never happened

I also don't think that coming 6th, then being dumped out of the playoffs would have saved him all things considered. Winning at Wembley surely would have, but I don't think him having picked up that extra point would have. It was already a would be record points total for missing out on the playoffs. The fan unrest, apparent lack of commitment and the drastic collapse all worked together from what I can tell. So again, I disagree with you when you put it as comically simply as "he was sacked for finishing where he did". 

That's a top draw post, you've combined the two forum favourites of puns and poking fun at past managers. Excellent work.

​Thanks mate. You know how you know the ball is flying in the top corner as soon as it leaves your boot? I felt like that when I hit 'submit reply'. Roy of the Rovers stuff. 

Like the thought of having Russell on one side and Weimann the other, the sheer energy and effort they would put in has to be a benefit!

Why don't we put Paula Radcliffe on the left wing and Chris Hoy on the right. Guaranteed lots of energy and effort. Not knocking either Russell or Weimann here, but I have never understood the proposition you put forward.  As Einstein might tell you Energy plus Effort doesn't make Success squared. 

From the BBC article comments page, top ranked post:

Aaron Xavier: Too good for the championship
Like · Reply · 182 · 2 hrs

Admittedly he may not be the man to turn Villa into a top 12 side, but my god I think he'd be a cracking signing for us. 

Why don't we put Paula Radcliffe on the left wing and Chris Hoy on the right. Guaranteed lots of energy and effort. Not knocking either Russell or Weimann here, but I have never understood the proposition you put forward.  As Einstein might tell you Energy plus Effort doesn't make Success squared. 

​Just because he didn't mention their technical ability doesn't mean they don't possess any. He merely singled out one of their admirable traits which is their energy.

Both also are very effective wingers. Russell is more a creator while, by all accounts, Weimann is more of a finisher. Villa fans say that he is lethal anywhere inside 25 yards. This scoring ability, coupled with a high work-rate is why he is so highly rated and why he's always seemed more than decent in the Premier League, let alone the Championship.

If our front 3 next season consisted of:                                        Martin                                
                                                                              Weimann                             Ince

with Russell and Calero? on the bench, we're hardly deprived of quality!

​Just because he didn't mention their technical ability doesn't mean they don't possess any. He merely singled out one of their admirable traits which is their energy.

Both also are very effective wingers. Russell is more a creator while, by all accounts, Weimann is more of a finisher. Villa fans say that he is lethal anywhere inside 25 yards. This scoring ability, coupled with a high work-rate is why he is so highly rated and why he's always seemed more than decent in the Premier League, let alone the Championship.

If our front 3 next season consisted of:                                        Martin                                
                                                                              Weimann                             Ince

with Russell and Calero? on the bench, we're hardly deprived of quality!

Mmmh. As can be evidenced by your previous posts, and your new avatar, JR is something of a hero to you. I think if he shat in the middle of your Yorkshire Pudding you would find a lot of positives to justify his efforts. I think Weimann is probably better than JR, and almost certainly has more potential to improve further, so I would be happy to see his arrival.  At the moment though I am not overly convinced our interest in him is much more than Twitter gossip x 1000.

​A quick check of the numbers shows that he played 60+ minutes in 19 games this season, of which they picked up 20 points. They played 19 games without him playing 60+ minutes this season and they picked up 18 points. From this we can conclude that he at least didn't make them worse, and possibly actually made them better while he was on the park.

​If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be an omnibus. I honestly don't get what point you're trying to make. Are you actually saying that he'd have done better in a performance based review had he actually performed better? What a shocking suggestion!

Again, if McClaren had actually managed to steady the ship, his perceived lack of loyalty could have been overlooked. But ultimately it didn't, he failed dismally, again, relegation form, more than a quarter of the season, that's not acceptable when your aim in mid table, and it's definitely not acceptable when the aim was promotion, and you have it in your hands. Ultimately though, the board decided that they didn't have the confidence in him to continue for whatever reason. 

So say a manager wins 5 games from 13th November until the end of the season (31 games), including a cup game against non league opposition, and in that time took us from 4th, with a chance of going 2nd to 19th in that time, he should be sacked? Did you want Clough gone after that run?

Thanks Ambitious for those stats.  I hope clement knows what this guy is like and does not just go on Chris Evans recomendation. I think we have some dodgy scouts out there going by what wehave signed recently

​No worries and for what it's worth, I'm much better at Chris Evans' job than he is and I would sign Weimann. 

I wouldn't sign Pearce, though. So, I guess we'll see if I'm right or wrong in the future. I wouldn't have signed Martin after his loan spell, either. :lol:

So say a manager wins 5 games from 13th November until the end of the season (31 games), including a cup game against non league opposition, and in that time took us from 4th, with a chance of going 2nd to 19th in that time, he should be sacked? Did you want Clough gone after that run?

​Hang on, which season are you talking about? If it's 10-11, then I think you're mistaken on a few things, most notably that we were never 2nd that season, not once. The best we ended up was 4th, and on the morning of the 13th of November (before games were played) we were still 6 points from 2nd. Incidentally, the run you're talking about was 30 games, not 31. What's more, even getting past the difference in goals, you seem to outright ignore central points on the matter. That is, that McClaren from over half the season had promotion in his hands, then followed it up with relegation form for over quarter of a season. Nigel had from a third of the season got themselves to just in the playoffs, and still 6 points off second, then had their collapse while and after losing their star player after a contract dispute. Nigel's side didn't lose the plot while rumours of his imminent departure festered right through to the end of the season.

That said, the form was awful. It has to go down as one of the worst collapses I've ever seen from a club. If it weren't for the situation with Commons I'd think he wouldn't have survived, but ultimately the situations don't have the similarities you seem to be trying to give them. 

I am of course excited at the thought of attacking players like Weimann, Bent and possibly Ince.

However, I would be reassured if we got in at least one more genuine midfield player, i.e. one of the three who will play behind these guys.

This year we struggled because Hendrick was inconsistent, Hughes never knowing which role to take and Bryson being (for him) poor. We missed Thorne, but I can't help feeling we need busier midfielders who keep the flow going our way. 

There was too much pressure on our back four at the end of last season and we know the personnel there needed changing. Hopefully Pearce (and perhaps one other) will achieve that. 

I'd like better tacklers ahead of them too. We can't rely on Thorne alone.

We cannot be sure that Thorne can play twice a week regularly given past injuries. At present Hanson is his only deputy; Eustace now a free agent,

We definitely need an experienced cover for Thorne or someone to rotate with him depending on the match.

If not Eustace (and I would offer Eustace another year), then someone like him

I think this is just the start. 

Players of this calibre joining us is something we only dreamt of a few years ago.

Nixon has spoke about the possibility of Hendrick being part of the deal. 

Theres been talk of Hendrick to Villa for £5 million and Weimann to Derby for £2 million.

Lets just say we got Weimann and £2 million for Hendrick then used that £2 million to sign Tom Cairney then I would think that would be the best bit of business we have done for a long time.

I also think we will sign a right back, another centre half as well as Pearce, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, a winger, Bent and another striker. 

Mmmh. As can be evidenced by your previous posts, and your new avatar, JR is something of a hero to you. I think if he shat in the middle of your Yorkshire Pudding you would find a lot of positives to justify his efforts. I think Weimann is probably better than JR, and almost certainly has more potential to improve further, so I would be happy to see his arrival.  At the moment though I am not overly convinced our interest in him is much more than Twitter gossip x 1000.

​I do indeed rate Russell quite highly, however, he's not undroppable and if we brought in both Ince and Weimann, Russell would have to make do on the bench.

Archived