SIGNED: Andreas Weimann

Ambitious

Andreas Weimann signing prediction  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Damn you Derby County trying to sign Premier League players, bring back the days of signing Gary Teale I say!

​Gary Teale was a Premier League winger, we signed him from Wigan, and he'd played 36 Premier League games for them. 

Tealinho's purple patch potentially kept us in this division all those years ago as well. He was a naff signing by Billy, but let's be honest, anyone signed by Billy after that first magical transfer window under him was total naff, and arguably central to the disaster that followed. 7 assists and a goal in those 18 games though, starting from us being 22nd more than half way into the season, and ultimately seeing us to safety. 

Say what you will about Teale, but he did the business for us when it was ultimately needed, which is an order of magnitude more than so many others in the past decade. 

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can a championship side really sign a player of a higher calibre? People say we're signing a "premiership flop". Wasn't Ince a premiership flop then? If a player is currently succeeding in the top flight then he isn't going to join Derby County, or any championship club for that matter.

Top addition IMO. A verisitle forward who, maybe not last season, succeeded in the premiership and is still at an age for improvement! 

​My one worry with such signings is that players who have had the Premier League money thrown at them usually don't like wage cuts, and it's sometimes a sign of desperation for a club, and ends in tears with a squad of nobodies who don't want to be there, on the megabucks. I trust the management, and the scouting side of the club's ability enough to trust they've done their research on who they sign this summer. 

If there's one thing you can say about this club post Jewell is that we've known how to bring in good signings more often than not, and whilst we've not had many exceptional signings (Martin and Thorne notwithstanding), our duffers to solid players ratio has been good, as particularly evidenced by what McClaren got out of Clough's side. 

TobyWanKenobi

He's 23, has 113 Premier League appearances, more than a dozen international caps. He's got 17 goals and 10 assists to his name in the Premier League as well. On top of that he's versatile and in a position that we need a new player in, and his appearance figures speak of a player who can actually stay fit. Considering the record of the following players here:

​Chris Martin

Simon Dawkins

George Thorne

I'd say that "Premier League flops that you've never heard of" isn't exactly enough of a criticism to write someone off. If we're going to sign him, and Clement is happy with it, then I trust the club's decision on this one. Would represent a decisive piece of business in a position that we need a new man in for. If we get him, Bent and Pearce by next week, we'll be looking very good indeed for the start of transfer season, and I'd say that we'd only really need to be looking at Ince, another DM (competition for Thorne and hopefully Eustace) and potentially another right back with pretty much the entire window remaining. 

I'm not entirely convinced Thorne has represented value for money as yet. Dawkins is struggling to nail down a starting position, and Chris Martin, while did fail with Norwich in the Premier League, proved he could score in the Championship before that. Pearce, Ince and Bent have all proved themselves to a degree at this level.

I'm sure Weimanns 4 goals in 35 games last season or 6 in 42 the season before were all phenomenal. 10 assists in 113 games for a winger? Shocking that he was overlooked for the Ballon D'Or.

It great if he signs, I'm sure. I did say "yay" after all, but lets not jizz in our pants over it.

I'm not entirely convinced Thorne has represented value for money as yet. Dawkins is struggling to nail down a starting position, and Chris Martin, while did fail with Norwich in the Premier League, proved he could score in the Championship before that. Pearce, Ince and Bent have all proved themselves to a degree at this level.

I'm sure Weimanns 4 goals in 35 games last season or 6 in 42 the season before were all phenomenal. 10 assists in 113 games for a winger? Shocking that he was overlooked for the Ballon D'Or.

It great if he signs, I'm sure. I did say "yay" after all, but lets not jizz in our pants over it.

​Every signing is a risk, but on balance of what we've seen of him, he's potentially the best player at the club. Not, "has the potential to be the best player at the club", but as in directly and complete, he may actually be the best player we have on the books. An unfortunate injury doesn't change that, and hopefully this preseason will go better. From everything we've seen of him, including his brief cameos this last season, he is pure class, who along side Martin and Hughes is a class above the rest. 

As for Weimann, he's 23 and played for a poor team. He got 3 goals and 2 assists in 31 appearances last season, which whilst not stellar, isn't bad for a player played out of position. When you consider that Martin hadn't even flourished at Championship level before coming to us. I'm not saying that people should be overly excited, but you shouldn't write him off just because you don't find his stats overly impressive. If I recall it was something like 15 goals and 6 assists in excess of 80 appearances for Martin at Championship level before us, now he's had 40 goals and 17 assists in just over 90 appearances. 

​3/4 years ago we were talking about the likes of Pearson and Cywka... Get some perspective on Dawkins people! He would have WALKED into the side in Nigel's early days... The fact we now have a 'rotation' player of his quality is brilliant...

So you don't t let anyone else use your magic 8 ball then?

​Ha yes. I was joking about that part because that's what sky sports news said after paul clement was appointed derby manager even though derby evening telegraph reported it ages ago

Off on holiday for a week, not stalking him, he's just tweeted it.

​Then sign for Derby when he get back.

​at sitting on the bench , will never be good enough for the rams

Aye, wee Craigy Bryson's going to have to make room for him, is he?

Dawkins is arguably the most technically gifted player in the squad, he's clearly not a winger, if he finds a place in whatever new system Clement implements, he could be like a new signing.

Also, I think a lot of people wouldn't have said John Eustace 'will never be good enough for the Rams', but he's completely proved them wrong. A player who can perform a role in a system, is better than an individual who doesn't fit a system. Dawkins is the sort who could really fit Clement's style and system.

Aye, wee Craigy Bryson's going to have to make room for him, is he?

Dawkins is arguably the most technically gifted player in the squad, he's clearly not a winger, if he finds a place in whatever new system Clement implements, he could be like a new signing.

Also, I think a lot of people wouldn't have said John Eustace 'will never be good enough for the Rams', but he's completely proved them wrong. A player who can perform a role in a system, is better than an individual who doesn't fit a system. Dawkins is the sort who could really fit Clement's style and system.

​hes good at nothing is dawkins , im technically good but doesn't mean im any good to paul clement

​hes good at nothing is dawkins , im technically good but doesn't mean im any good to paul clement

​Technically good at what? Living in denial and thinking Bryson will one day win the Ballon d'Or and we're blessed to have him?

I still find it hard to believe people can't see that Dawkins has his qualities.  He keeps the ball better than anyone and I believe his style suited our pass and move freedom of the 13/14 season rather than the slow build up play and what seemed stricter positioning of the past season. He is excellent at interchanging quick passing , moving the ball in crowded areas and keeping hold of the ball to allow runners time to move. He is clearly not a winger just like Mascarell was clearly not a CDM but both of them got/get heavily criticised for the roles they don't seem to be suited for. I'm hoping Clement gives Dawkins a chance in the hole behind the striker or somehow finds a way to utilize his strengths, because he doesn't seem to enjoy trying to beat his man to the byline.

I still find it hard to believe people can't see that Dawkins has his qualities.  He keeps the ball better than anyone and I believe his style suited our pass and move freedom of the 13/14 season rather than the slow build up play and what seemed stricter positioning of the past season. He is excellent at interchanging quick passing , moving the ball in crowded areas and keeping hold of the ball to allow runners time to move. He is clearly not a winger just like Mascarell was clearly not a CDM but both of them got/get heavily criticised for the roles they don't seem to be suited for. I'm hoping Clement gives Dawkins a chance in the hole behind the striker or somehow finds a way to utilize his strengths, because he doesn't seem to enjoy trying to beat his man to the byline.

The only criticism I have of Dawkins is that he seems to lack in the final third, he just seems lost and passes backwards, but when he did play in CM he looked a lot better and I can't wait to see him play there next season. 

Damn you Derby County trying to sign Premier League players, bring back the days of signing Gary Teale I say!

​Gary Teale was a Premier League player when we signed him.

Someonelse has pointed this out already... nevermind.

TobyWanKenobi

​3/4 years ago we were talking about the likes of Pearson and Cywka... Get some perspective on Dawkins people! He would have WALKED into the side in Nigel's early days... The fact we now have a 'rotation' player of his quality is brilliant...

​Yes Dawkins would have been great back when we were battling relegation.

We're sacking managers for finishing outside the top 6 these days.

The only criticism I have of Dawkins is that he seems to lack in the final third, he just seems lost and passes backwards, but when he did play in CM he looked a lot better and I can't wait to see him play there next season. 

​I agree, he's not perfect, its just when I see people say "hes sh**t" a little part of me dies because I just know our Simon can be so much more

​Yes Dawkins would have been great back when we were battling relegation.

We're sacking managers for finishing outside the top 6 these days.

​More like we're sacking managers for suffering relegation form for over a quarter of the season having had promotion in their hands, with the sudden form collapse coinciding with speculation about whether the manager was to leave at the end of the season anyhow. 

Dawkins is a good player, very good on the ball. The real question is the role he should play, not whether he's good enough. Though at this point I doubt he'd be starting at the start of the season. 

Archived