SIGNED: Andreas Weimann

Ambitious

Andreas Weimann signing prediction  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​I agree, he's not perfect, its just when I see people say "hes sh**t" a little part of me dies because I just know our Simon can be so much more

​I totally agree, his ball retention skills are fantastic and he is a very good technician. McClaren annoyed me in how he never played Dawkins in that central role, it was obvious he wasn't a winger and plays a lot better with more space and we saw that when he played in CM, granted it was only against Blackpool and Huddersfield, but it was obvious that it was his natural position. 

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

​More like we're sacking managers for suffering relegation form for over a quarter of the season having had promotion in their hands, with the sudden form collapse coinciding with speculation about whether the manager was to leave at the end of the season anyhow. 

​If the players stopped playing due to a bit of speculation, which is constant in football, it's a whole new team that we need, because if we're in the top to come Christmas, that same speculation is going to happen to Mr Clement.

​If the players stopped playing due to a bit of speculation, which is constant in football, it's a whole new team that we need, because if we're in the top to come Christmas, that same speculation is going to happen to Mr Clement.

​However, if the players stopped because every time the point was raised he just brushed it off and was unable to regain faith, and keep the players heads up, that is a definite indictment of his weaknesses as a manager. 

Speculation is speculation, but I doubt we'd have ever had this discussion if McClaren just said "I am not interested in the Newcastle job". If it were really on his mind that much when it started that he couldn't just brush it off, he should have gone then, but I think him staying until after Newcastle's season was over showed more than anything else that it was more likely that he wanted to have a go from a fresh canvas, rather than trying to save a sinking ship. 

​I totally agree, his ball retention skills are fantastic and he is a very good technician. McClaren annoyed me in how he never played Dawkins in that central role, it was obvious he wasn't a winger and plays a lot better with more space and we saw that when he played in CM, granted it was only against Blackpool and Huddersfield, but it was obvious that it was his natural position. 

​Agreed, that goal he scored against Doncaster where he just sprinted down the middle of the pitch from pretty much the half way line and put it beyond the keeper was a great goal and showed what he can do if he's going down the middle. He is definitely inconsistent but like you say, I think if he wasn't played out wide we would hopefully see more consistency from him.

TobyWanKenobi

He should have gone because he considered another job? That's mental. Really. That's just mental.

He should have gone because he considered another job? That's mental. Really. That's just mental.

​No, he should have gone because he couldn't keep the squad focused enough with the speculation surrounding him, and for whatever reason it happened, he literally had us going at relegation form for more than a quarter of a season. He can have as much speculation as he wants, and openly declare "don't worry guys, I'm signing for Newcastle the moment that their awful season is done, so I'd don't get any of that stink on my hands" for all I care, as long as he kept the players here performing in the meantime.

Ultimately though, that isn't what happened. From what I saw he did deny other speculation, but just let the Newcastle issue fester, while we sank without a trace in the promotion battle. As far as I'm concerned whether the two were related at this point isn't even relevant, as he, from a position where the aim was promotion, with the playoffs being a consolation prize, managed to blow it entirely while the media talked about his next move. There was seemingly unrest somewhere, and he couldn't deal with it. 

According to Transfermrkt, he's played pretty much 80% of his games RW for Villa. 10% upfront and 10% elsewhere. 

This season, he's scored 1 and created 1 in 3 appearances upfront. 

In fact, the goal he scored and created against Hull City earlier in the season to help Villa to a 2-1 victory actually kept them up and relegated Hull... Eventually. 

TobyWanKenobi

​No, he should have gone because he couldn't keep the squad focused enough with the speculation surrounding him, and for whatever reason it happened, he literally had us going at relegation form for more than a quarter of a season. He can have as much speculation as he wants, and openly declare "don't worry guys, I'm signing for Newcastle the moment that their awful season is done, so I'd don't get any of that stink on my hands" for all I care, as long as he kept the players here performing in the meantime.

Ultimately though, that isn't what happened. From what I saw he did deny other speculation, but just let the Newcastle issue fester, while we sank without a trace in the promotion battle. As far as I'm concerned whether the two were related at this point isn't even relevant, as he, from a position where the aim was promotion, with the playoffs being a consolation prize, managed to blow it entirely while the media talked about his next move. There was seemingly unrest somewhere, and he couldn't deal with it. 

SO we are back to my original point in that we sacked him because we finished outside the top 6. Had we finished inside the top 6 and perhaps gotten promoted, the sacking would not have been necessary, and if he went to Newcastle, it would have been because they bought him in, rather than found him at the Job Centre.

Villa supporter posting.

Potentially he could be an extremely good signing. Although his goals and assists are not great neither were any other players under Lambert. If Messi had been playing for the Villa he would of struggled to score. Weimann's best attribute is his goalscoring ability but if you are being played out of position, away from the goal and under instruction to play safe, keep possession and play the ball sidewards you are not going to make an impact. Provided he is given a run in his natural position he could be an outstanding signing. We wish him the best as he deserves to realise his potential playing in his natural position. 

According to Transfermrkt, he's played pretty much 80% of his games RW for Villa. 10% upfront and 10% elsewhere. 

In fact, the goal he scored and created against Hull City earlier in the season to help Villa to a 2-1 victory actually kept them up and relegated Hull... Eventually. 

​A quick check of the numbers shows that he played 60+ minutes in 19 games this season, of which they picked up 20 points. They played 19 games without him playing 60+ minutes this season and they picked up 18 points. From this we can conclude that he at least didn't make them worse, and possibly actually made them better while he was on the park.

SO we are back to my original point in that we sacked him because we finished outside the top 6. Had we finished inside the top 6 and perhaps gotten promoted, the sacking would not have been necessary, and if he went to Newcastle, it would have been because they bought him in, rather than found him at the Job Centre.

​If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be an omnibus. I honestly don't get what point you're trying to make. Are you actually saying that he'd have done better in a performance based review had he actually performed better? What a shocking suggestion!

Again, if McClaren had actually managed to steady the ship, his perceived lack of loyalty could have been overlooked. But ultimately it didn't, he failed dismally, again, relegation form, more than a quarter of the season, that's not acceptable when your aim in mid table, and it's definitely not acceptable when the aim was promotion, and you have it in your hands. Ultimately though, the board decided that they didn't have the confidence in him to continue for whatever reason. 

​A quick check of the numbers shows that he played 60+ minutes in 19 games this season, of which they picked up 20 points. They played 19 games without him playing 60+ minutes this season and they picked up 18 points. From this we can conclude that he at least didn't make them worse, and possibly actually made them better while he was on the park.

​If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be an omnibus. I honestly don't get what point you're trying to make. Are you actually saying that he'd have done better in a performance based review had he actually performed better? What a shocking suggestion!

Again, if McClaren had actually managed to steady the ship, his perceived lack of loyalty could have been overlooked. But ultimately it didn't, he failed dismally, again, relegation form, more than a quarter of the season, that's not acceptable when your aim in mid table, and it's definitely not acceptable when the aim was promotion, and you have it in your hands. Ultimately though, the board decided that they didn't have the confidence in him to continue for whatever reason. 

Don't be too harsh

one goal was the difference between finishing 8th and 5th.

Thanks Ambitious for those stats.  I hope clement knows what this guy is like and does not just go on Chris Evans recomendation. I think we have some dodgy scouts out there going by what wehave signed recently

Don't be too harsh

one goal was the difference between finishing 8th and 5th.

Which "1 goal" is that exactly? Or are we just going to go through the whole fixture list and cherry pick a convenient one. How about Birmingham, conceding two in added time? Maybe if we'd scored a winner at Millwall? Maybe if this team at some point in the last 2 year actually didn't completely lose the plot when we were close to achieving our goals? 

TobyWanKenobi

​The point I made originally is that McClaren was sacked because we ultimately weren't promoted. A suggestion you argued with at length, only to finally come back the point that he wouldn't have been sacked had we gotten promoted.

Anyone would think you like arguing.

​I agree Dawkins is good BUT

Clement's style and system?!?!? WTF?!?! He hasn't even touched down in England yet!!!

That's why I used 'could', he 'could' be a player that will flourish more under Clement's tutelage than McClaren's. I understand what you're saying, but people shouldn't be writing Dawkins off, he's very much Shrödinger's Cat at the moment.

​Couldn't disagree more. Hendrick is our most overrated player and easily so. Top prem player? Don't know what causes this, maybe him coming through academy? Yes, he can be excellent. Has been about five times in his 160 games for us.

If we get Weimann to replace (and upgrade) Ward and money to replace Hendrick, that would be among the best deals we have made.

​Hendrick has always been Marmite to many.

I like the guy, but I'm the first to admit that he's had some absolute stinkers, as has Hughes and Bryson

Which "1 goal" is that exactly? Or are we just going to go through the whole fixture list and cherry pick a convenient one. How about Birmingham, conceding two in added time? Maybe if we'd scored a winner at Millwall? Maybe if this team at some point in the last 2 year actually didn't completely lose the plot when we were close to achieving our goals? 

​Birmingham one for me. Once is careless - but to do it twice in two years against the same team is absolutely criminal.

Archived