McClaren Gone

Cam the Ram

Was sacking McClaren the right decision?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Derby have been loyal to McClaren but he wasn't very forthcoming at the fans forum pre Reading etc in ruling out Newcastle IMO .

His attitude was strange and then all of a sudden we fail top 6 and he wants to stay clouding my judgement of him somewhat. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't have given less of a toss about the Newcastle speculation and was satisfied that his response was honest, understanding how quickly things can change in football and taking into consideration McClaren's previous experience of the media treating him like a fool.

I was much more concerned by his comments about on-pitch matters, which almost made it sound like he'd given up trying to find a solution to our problems, again though, maybe he was just being honest. It would seem that honesty is very far from the best policy.

McClaren has no obvious career history of arresting a slide so when it came down to it I had serious doubts about his capability in doing so next season. However, I HOPED for the best - had the whole sacking situation not raised its head I would have been happy to give him a chance.

I was on the fence, but what's happened has happened - embrace the change, it keeps things interesting!

I'll be over it as soon as the next manager comes in. 

But this club had a lot of plans in place. It began a philosophy.  All youth teams set up the same way. Scouting network was expanded. Everything was sort of geared towards serving McClaren. They gave all the talk about relationships. Relationships between McClaren - Evans - Rush - scouting network - Lee Glover etc etc.

Start chopping and changing people and relationships and the ideas break down. 

McClaren has been sacked after we have been told since day 1 that everything is being built so wonderfully well.  "Be part of it". 

I hope they have the right man to continue it.  Because if they bring in massive changes then I would feel like the growth of the club wouldn't be as good as it is now. I mean the youth teams and youth scouting has been done really well and some look like they're purpose built for the Steve McClaren way of playing. 

If the new man doesn't bring massive changes but is unable to get results then he'll be sacked and thats more strain on the set up and relationships. 

Sacking McClaren should have been a last resort if we went into next season looking like we hadn't learned lessons. Not because somebody wants to make their stamp on the club. Not because of silly rumours with other clubs.

Rumours with other clubs only come to the successful.  

Honestly pre Fans Forum I was backing him but could see other fans weren't and I could foresee big problems ahead. 

Im a good judge and my assessment was to back him and see if we made playoffs. 

In retrospect I couldn't see him turning it around and a change was needed but IMO it's for the best honestly. 

Honestly pre Fans Forum I was backing him but could see other fans weren't and I could foresee big problems ahead. 

Im a good judge and my assessment was to back him and see if we made playoffs. 

In retrospect I couldn't see him turning it around and a change was needed but IMO it's for the best honestly. 

ScreenHunter_281.thumb.jpg.8ab5dd0e4f2b7

For what it's worth and it's only judgement from afar and gut instinct .I think Steve is a great coach but not a manager and is flawed by being over friendly with players ,lack of mental steel and also apparently superstitious to boot.

I think going back to when they first came Stimmo was the driving force behind the adventurous substitutions [Watford] etc.Being successful is about the way you carry yourself not only when things are going well but when they aren't. Didn't see that with Steve.

Seen plenty of comments questioning SM commitment and yes maybe he should have done more to quash rumours of Newcastle but straight after the Reading game he committed his future to us which, late it may have been he still did. That should have been that and he should have had one more make or break season, no promotion - sacked.

With regard to Clement (if he's taking over) he's came out and said he wants to try his hand at management. I just wonder how committed he's going to be when/if he gets us up, other big clubs are going to be looking at him and with him previously being at places like Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid he's not going to want to stick around at Derby. He's on more of a personal mission to build his managerial career. SM didn't need to, he's been there, done it. I genuinely felt he was happy at Derby, yes his head may have been turned by Newcastle but we surely can't expect different of Paul Clement.

Seen plenty of comments questioning SM commitment and yes maybe he should have done more to quash rumours of Newcastle but straight after the Reading game he committed his future to us which, late it may have been he still did. That should have been that and he should have had one more make or break season, no promotion - sacked.

With regard to Clement (if he's taking over) he's came out and said he wants to try his hand at management. I just wonder how committed he's going to be when/if he gets us up, other big clubs are going to be looking at him and with him previously being at places like Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid he's not going to want to stick around at Derby. He's on more of a personal mission to build his managerial career. SM didn't need to, he's been there, done it. I genuinely felt he was happy at Derby, yes his head may have been turned by Newcastle but we surely can't expect different of Paul Clement.

​I question whether he'd have been so committed if Newcastle were safely lodged in mid-table?  He can moan all he wants about Mel Morris, Sam Rush or the fans getting him sacked but at the end of the day he's only got himself to blame.  Even if he was 100% commited to us he should've said that in Feb instead of relying on Rush forcing him to release a statement.

Clement would be a gamble.  There's been a lot of great No 2's (snigger), all very highly thought of that have tried their hands at being the big boss and they crashed and burned.  You can argue that Bolton's decline started when they picked Sammy Lee to replace Allardyce.  As stated before, my choice would be Warburton.

Welcome to the forum BTW

I voted yes, simply because his job had become untenable, and I had no faith that he would turn us around next season. 

We like to feel ITK and little bits and bobs do get their way out into the public arena, but in all honesty, none of us know EXACTLY what has gone on behind the scenes. I think the only thing we can feel sure of, is that SOMETHING has gone on. The capitulation wasn't simply down to injuries. That last game of the season against Reading was like nothing I had seen before in terms of how pathetic and passionless it was. 

Take Newcastle, background issues, player fallouts aside, I still don't think SM would have taken us forward next year. 

His inability to deal with the defence for the entire season, including having an error prone player in the 'undroppable' box. His inability to change tactics to fit the players he had available. Darren Bent is not Chris Martin, and Johnny Russell is not Chris Martin. Why insist on playing like they are?

A new boss coming in, with new ideas will be a good thing. I can't help but feel that SM was a busted flush at the end. 

but inhonesty , it did look like SM  was edging his bets  as regards the Newcastle job ,   But what i cant comprehend is  how come it effected the players so much from March until end of season , yes we had injuries .  but imo  we still had a squad good enough to get in the play offs ..winning them without key members would have been another matter

My thoughts, for what they're worth;

-Having watched the Reading game, I was blown away, how a team could have played without any cohesion, passion or palpable desire to (at least) DRAW.

After that you could tell there was something definitely wrong.

Newcastle, Tea in polystyrene cups, a 90's landline when he couldve used a space age headset, no plan B, bringing in big time Charlie's to disrupt the Clough era good feeling, and an hypnoticly receding hair line could all have contributed to his downfall. We may find out. We probably won't.

Part of me wanted his good times to carry on.

The cynic/realist in me thinks that we wouldve faltered in the early part of next season and he'd have been sacked then (and we'd all be complaining that the board hadn't done it sooner)

No point dwelling on ifs, why's and maybes. 

I hope whomever comes in has success.

He's inheriting a really good set of players so you'd hope he would.

Lets just wait and see.

The King is dead

Long Live the........

Wanted to keep him at first but after all the shenanigans of him being sacked then appointed etc meant he couldn't return.

He must have known when the press said last week that all the fans were talking of replacements, must have been a kick in the teeth to him.

Great memories from his time here, ill be telling my kids for sure about these seasons.

Maybe it is time to get a new coach in like Clement who will elevate this club to the premier league

I voted yes.

"Newcastle gate" may have been an issue in the collapse in form or it may be a total red herring but simply put Mac didn't imo deal with it very well. The performance against Reading however, where we still only needed a point to get in the playoffs remember, was absolutely totally unacceptable. It was worse than shocking. Mac was the manager, he rightly had to answer as to why it happened. Maybe he simply couldn't convince the board he knew why it happened and we went from top three to bottom three in the form table during large parts of the last 25% of the season.

I don't think it's helpful to demonise Mel Morris by the way as none of us know the full facts.

UTR.

I'm undecided yet. Mac came into the club and shook us out of the mid-table also rans we have been since we were relegated to the Championship in the early 2000's. We've seen some of the most exciting football since those times, and statistically, he has one of the best win percentages too.

On the other hand, the (seeming) unwillingness to cement his place at Derby since the turn of the year, and the subsequent collapse - summed up by the 3-0 defeat on the last day when a 0-0 draw would have sufficed - it looks as if he's not only lost the fans' trust, but the players' too. The jury is very much out on his transfer dealings, while a lot of the loans have been positive - Wisdom, Bamford, Ince, Ibe, Thorne - the permanent signings leave much to be desired.

At least we aren't being linked with the usual suspects, manager wise. Surprised noone has even mentioned Alan Curbishley yet...

Archived