Will's last match for Derby?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's blown hot and cold this season; brilliant when he's on it, anonymous when he's not. 

I'd be fascinated to know what Premier League teams think of him as a player now, rather than what his potential is, which I think we all know is brilliant. So much about the PL is instant - teams want players who can go in an make an immediate impact.

I really hope he's with us next season, and I wouldn't rule it out. Then again, we need a new back four so we might cash in for the right bid.

I think he'll still be here. Like you say, PL teams want instant impact. The clubs Hughes would fit is a short list. He'd be no good at Ipswich Town!

The club's he fits are good ones with huge scouting networks etc. The "lesser" clubs he fits won't be interested in growing a player. They're all about either survival or keeping their noses clear of the lower mini league. 

Hughes is a very promising player. What makes him so special is that he is what he is but he's British. The biggest clubs can find similar players abroad at top clubs in lesser leagues. They don't need to spunk a fortune like Liverpool have done. Players like Hughes exist abroad at top clubs for less than what we'd want. They come with a gamble of not settling into English football I suppose.

Hughes might still be at the best place for him. What he needs is Derby to build a team around the likes of him and Thorne. 

Think there's still more aggression to come from him. His football is too nice sometimes. Until he is more consistently aggressive then I don't think the right team will come for him.

He could do with Liverpool being stupid just one more time or Arsenal coming in. Don't think they will.

Any scouting report done on him for the last three months would place him exactly as a Championship player still. I'm not saying he isn't a great player nor am I saying he shouldn't be in the team but he isn't permission quality, let alone a £10 million player. If he is he gap would grab the game by the scruff and control it.

Rather Liverpool be in for him than Southampton because in the short term we would get the better deal. (Example - 6/8 million and Andre Wisdom) though selling to Southampton, we could easily demand a 30% sell on clause.

That's if he is to move on to the next level.

Hughes is a very promising player. What makes him so special is that he is what he is but he's British. The biggest clubs can find similar players abroad at top clubs in lesser leagues. They don't need to spunk a fortune like Liverpool have done. Players like Hughes exist abroad at top clubs for less than what we'd want. They come with a gamble of not settling into English football I suppose.

But they do need to spend big on him for the exact reason you made first of all - he is English. With quotas in place for clubs to have a minimum amount of English players, Prem clubs will be fighting over getting the best young talent from this country. Clubs like Soton won't need to spend that much as their academy actually produces decent players. However, some of the bigger clubs will be interested in a player with potential who has already the experience of over 100 games at a decent level and represents U21s regularly

He was crying again after the final whistle today. Shows that he loves the cclub Anyway, If any scouts had been watching him over the last 3 months I don't think they'd have been impressed.

He was crying again after the final whistle today. Shows that he loves the cclub Anyway, If any scouts had been watching him over the last 3 months I don't think they'd have been impressed.

​He was powder-puff in centre midfield. But second half being one of two did not suit him at all.

What i would regard as our "A" midfield hasn't been seen this season. Will has done all he reasonably could - starting the season at CDM, then being moved forward, then from a 3 man to a 2 man midfield. but he is not (yet) a big enough character to galvanise a mifiring midfield unit.

He and Jeff appeared to be sporting their Wembley haircuts today. They certainly played like a couple of floppy-haired nancy's.

late on one of the reading players had the ball in the corner both hendrick and will went over to get the ball of him and he just shrugged them both away and came away with the ball - summed it up for me.

will hasn't got the strength and all too often jeff doesn't punch his weight

Will looked devastated when he came to the fans after the match.  He was apologetic yet got a superb reception and the "Hughsey, Hughsey" chant all round the ground....best player since Archie Gemmill imo.

He needs a manager who believes in him and has the intelligence to play him in the right position.

Another Will-Hughes-is-leaving fantasy self-flagellation thread.

Mackworth Ram has spoken ..Will wants to go apparently :-( 

I hope Will stays, but maybe he needs chance to see if his skills are sufficient in the Prem ...personally I think he really needs to strengthen up...the way Reading were shrugging him off was very worrying indeed.

Archived